Rant: this story on discipline to wrongdoers in schools

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I assumed the fine was to pay for the removal of the graffiti and replacement of any damaged property

That would be safe to assume. In which case, both students should have been find AND punished. Not one, or the other.

If that had been the case, I'd have no gripe.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Nobody will get you to agree with them once you have spouted off. That's just who you are. $200.00 in the summer time to have someone come in and paint a commercial business wall isn't too much in my book.

When was the last time you paid a painter?

You still haven't answered how the school is at fault.

I paid a painter a couple of years ago. It cost me $700 dollars for 3 rooms and a hall. As a matter of fact, I found the painter here, so if you care to go and look for the thread, have at it.

2BRN2B

No Question
I said small fine, the rest be worked off with community service. I do think money should be charged in some form or fashion. If they can't pay, they get more hours. There is always a trade off, and it's not always fair. Always being fair is what gets us into predicaments to begin with. To say "they have to paint the walls anyway" is completely invalid. Choosing to paint the walls is one thing, painting the walls to cover what your child did, will cost you (appropriately so)

Please don't take the road that what if they can't pay - then don't be dumb. As an adult, adults are normally charged fines for their indiscretions. I use that word for ease not infinity. And if adults don't pay, there are usually more problems.

I never mentioned color in my post, why did you? That question is rhetorical. Nothing more.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I said small fine, the rest be worked off with community service. I do think money should be charged in some form or fashion. If they can't pay, they get more hours. There is always a trade off, and it's not always fair. Always being fair is what gets us into predicaments to begin with. To say "they have to paint the walls anyway" is completely invalid. Choosing to paint the walls is one thing, painting the walls to cover what your child did, will cost you (appropriately so)

Please don't take the road that what if they can't pay - then don't be dumb. As an adult, adults are normally charged fines for their indiscretions. I use that word for ease not infinity. And if adults don't pay, there are usually more problems.

I never mentioned color in my post, why did you? That question is rhetorical. Nothing more.

I agree with a fine. For both parties. I agree with working it off, whether it be community service, or scrubbing and painting the wall they vandalized. What I don't agree with is one student getting off scot free because mommy and daddy can pay for their stupidity. This smacks of shakedown, extortion, payoff, racket, whatever you wanna' call it.

itsrequired

Go away. I'm not going to answer that question. If you didn't get where I was going with it, you're only looking for something else to argue about.

That's your MO. You say stupid stuff all the time, then when someone calls you on it you tell them to go away because they just want to argue.

Hannibal

What am I missing here? This isn't a fine ..... it's restitution to reimburse the person whose shoes were damaged. If I read it correctly, both girls were asked to pay for the damages and everything would be dropped. To me, this is more than fair. One girl paid the "fine" - the other didn't so she moved onto to the next option of punishment. This is no different than a court system. You get caught speeding, you can sometimes opt to pay the fine and move on or payoff the fine via other means (community service). Sometimes you trade off the fines/punishment with your service. It's the way of the world.

Does her grandma claim racism when she gets a $150 ticket for speeding and can't pay the fine but the white lady in front of her could?

To me, both girls were offered the same "out" and only one could comply with the terms. Race had nothing to do with it. If the girls is upset by it, that's her problem. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. Life doesn't owe you any sympathy.

2BRN2B

No Question
Well put

Edited: The well put was to Hannibal's comment that I did not quote appropriately.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Does her grandma claim racism when she gets a $150 ticket for speeding and can't pay the fine but the white lady in front of her could?

This is my understanding. They were fined; the one kid's parents paid up; the other kid's parents didn't, so that kid got "jailed". I'm not convinced that race played any real part in this.

But I admit I'm getting deaf to claims of "racism!!" because that boy has cried wolf way too many times.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I'm with mAlice on this one. Asking to pay restitution is fair. What isn't fair is that one child should get off because their parents could pay the fine, while the other was not. If it couldn't be paid then the student should have a way to work it off. One student has parents who can buy their kids way out of punishment, and that isn't fair. In fact if it was me, I can BET my mom would have refused to pay it and made me either find it somewhere or work it out on my own. And at 12, making 100 bucks isn't exactly easy.

2BRN2B

No Question
Oh, shut up. You can't even figure out how to use the quote function.

Your intelligence and ability to articulate an argument, not withstanding, preclude me from arguing with your ignorance.

Really? Is that how you debate a given topic??

Hannibal

I'm with mAlice on this one. Asking to pay restitution is fair. What isn't fair is that one child should get off because their parents could pay the fine, while the other was not. If it couldn't be paid then the student should have a way to work it off. One student has parents who can buy their kids way out of punishment, and that isn't fair. In fact if it was me, I can BET my mom would have refused to pay it and made me either find it somewhere or work it out on my own. And at 12, making 100 bucks isn't exactly easy.

Don't mix fine with restitution though. They were asked to pay restituation which was intended to make the "victim" whole (IE - replace her shoes). One party agreed to do so - the other didn't (because she couldn't afford it). This isn't a fine. They weren't being penalized for an infraction (in other words, they aren't following some fee schedule as you would with a speeding ticket or trespassing violation). They were asked to pay their share of the replacement. And just because the one girl couldn't, shouldn't mean she should be let off scott free.

I remember, as a kid, throwing rocks over a moving train. We were trying to land the rocks on the passing carts. Fun game for a 10 year old. However, once the train went by, we realized that there were stopped cars on the other side of the train that weren't there when the train first came through. As a 10 year, I didn't think about the possibility but certain didn't intend to cause damage. The windshield on the one car was cracked so the driver pulled over, asked for our parents and pretty much said they expected to be paid to replace the windshield or they would involve the police. My parents were asked to pay restitution in leiu of handling it legally. That is far. If my parents said no (either on principle or because they couldn't afford to) - I would've suffered another punshiment (whatever the cops deemed valid). Thankfully, my parents covered the deductible which I, in turn, had to work off in allowance/chores.

More to the point, the ability of a party to pay should be a non-factor. Otherwise, everytime a similar scenerio came into play, I would simply say "I am broke. Sorry."

Hijinx

It was not a fine. It was restitution. One paid restitution to fix the damage, one didn't. The one that didn't was charged. Why should she be let off without paying for the damage repairs?

There is a difference between restitution and a fine.

The article showed a lot of bias in not pointing this out but going to extremes to point out the racial issue.