Rating restaurants

frequentflier

happy to be living
Why is it so difficult to go online and rate a restaurant? We ate at the Island Hideaway in Solomons and I went to rate it and have to say I HATE YELP because they are extortionists...but couldn't do anything with the site without signing up for their BS. Scroll down to trip advisor and same thing, they want me to sign up with google. For goodness sake, I just want to give 5 stars to a stellar family owned restaurant with outstanding food and customer service.
So FYI, SOMD locals if you want a great place to eat...check this place out. Many people made reservations so it took us a minute to be seated indoors, Outdoor seating available and it was pretty full.
Recommend!

frequentflier

happy to be living
On my favorites list!

Don't eat out much but it seemed like a great place to go tonight and it was my husband's first time there. We then stopped at Kingfishers to hear Ben Connelly play and had one drink.
There are only a few places on Solomons that I love their food: Island Hideaway never disappoints!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Don't eat out much but it seemed like a great place to go tonight and it was my husband's first time there. We then stopped at Kingfishers to hear Ben Connelly play and had one drink.
There are only a few places on Solomons that I love their food: Island Hideaway never disappoints!
I agree! I've never had a bad meal there.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The first time we went to Island Hideaway I think they had just opened and it appeared to be a Bud/burger/fried appetizers bar. Then we went a few months later and holy cow! Their menu was creative and upperscale, everything we had was really good.

frequentflier

happy to be living
The first time we went to Island Hideaway I think they had just opened and it appeared to be a Bud/burger/fried appetizers bar. Then we went a few months later and holy cow! Their menu was creative and upperscale, everything we had was really good.
Didn't you, Bann and NextJen and I meet there last year? Or the year before?! LOL

Last edited:

TPD

the poor dad
Why is it so difficult to go online and rate a restaurant? We ate at the Island Hideaway in Solomons and I went to rate it and have to say I HATE YELP because they are extortionists...but couldn't do anything with the site without signing up for their BS. Scroll down to trip advisor and same thing, they want me to sign up with google. For goodness sake, I just want to give 5 stars to a stellar family owned restaurant with outstanding food and customer service.
So FYI, SOMD locals if you want a great place to eat...check this place out. Many people made reservations so it took us a minute to be seated indoors, Outdoor seating available and it was pretty full.
Recommend!

We love the Island Hideaway as well! But we do have to pick our times - we are not ones to make reservations. Ended up at Charles Street (also great) on Saturday evening because Hideaway had no space for us.

But yeah also agree about ratings. I have an account with trip advisor but haven’t reviewed anything in almost a year. Never use yelp for anything. I had a manager obsessed with reviews on yelp about our store. I told him to ignore- as you said yelp is extortionist.

Goldenhawk

You can rate them on the Google Maps app. You can add your own comments and rating as long as you're signed in to a Google account. Bypass Yelp entirely.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yes, I rate things as a google guide. I also make a point of mentioning them as a recommendation on FB as often as people ask. The IH is one of our go-tos, just ate there last weekend. Parking lot was so crazy we almost gave up, but the place was less than half full. So take a peek if the lots full, seems people park there for other stuff too. .

GregV814

Yelp is slowly but surely encroaching into media and our lives folks! Russian collusion?? The DNC and Soros ring a bell??? Subtle.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Yelp is slowly but surely encroaching into media and our lives folks! Russian collusion?? The DNC and Soros ring a bell??? Subtle.
As discussed on the forums several times, yelp are extortionists. If they pay them, they will post good reviews. If you don't, they will only post crappy reviews. Over and over.

glhs837

Power with Control
Putting apps on my phone is beyond my capability as I am technically challenged! I still miss my flip phone :lmao:

If you have an Android phone, it's the default mapping,navigation application, built right in. If you have an Iphone, you would have to download it. After years of trying to make Apple Maps a thing, Apple bowed to users who demanded Google Maps. Look for "Maps" in your list of Apps, it should be right there.

glhs837

Power with Control
If they hadn't gotten away from the armored phones, I'd still have a flip.

I still have the last of the OG bulletproof Droids, I keep it for taking video and pictures that might place the phone at risk. First week I had the new phone mount for the bike, I put that in there and hammered Mattapany Road :)

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I'd say go thru Google Maps or directly to their Facebook business page. You can leave reviews directly on there, or if you had trouble talking to management, nothing like a bad review on their social media page with a direct way to contact you to remedy the situation. It's always the page I look for if I want current info for the restaurant, like bands and specials. Not all businesses utilize their FB pages enough, IMO. It is becoming the new way to have a business website. Plus you can "follow" all the places you frequent and their updates just show up in your feed as you browse :sshrug: