Rating restaurants

glhs837

Power with Control
* ahem *

You all should post your local restaurant reviews on the, you know, local community forum. This one, for example.

:whistle:

:)

BernieP

Resident PIA
What would you consider high end?
in terms of adult beverages or food?
I was thinking beverages, I'm not a fan of the typical crap on most bars, Johnnie Walker, Dewars, Jim Beam, Jack, Jameson.
I prefer single malts, aged, maybe finished a little different. Bourbons that have some good flavor, cask strength, but smooth enough you don't realize how potent they are. I prefer a true Irish Wiskey, not one made in an English colony. There are some really good Irish whiskeys, even some single malts. Interesting story on the mash bill of the typical Irish Whiskey and why they went away from the traditional malt (you can thank the freaking Brits).

I also drink beer, not filtered and watered down, tasteless crap. I want something with flavor, something maybe a little interesting, bold.

As for the food, eh. What I had there wasn't bad, but also didn't impress.

BernieP

Resident PIA
If you have an Android phone, it's the default mapping,navigation application, built right in. If you have an Iphone, you would have to download it. After years of trying to make Apple Maps a thing, Apple bowed to users who demanded Google Maps. Look for "Maps" in your list of Apps, it should be right there.
oh hell, you don't even have to search, the damn software will figure out where you were and ask you to rate your visit.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
in terms of adult beverages or food?
I was thinking beverages, I'm not a fan of the typical crap on most bars, Johnnie Walker, Dewars, Jim Beam, Jack, Jameson.
I prefer single malts, aged, maybe finished a little different. Bourbons that have some good flavor, cask strength, but smooth enough you don't realize how potent they are. I prefer a true Irish Wiskey, not one made in an English colony. There are some really good Irish whiskeys, even some single malts. Interesting story on the mash bill of the typical Irish Whiskey and why they went away from the traditional malt (you can thank the freaking Brits).

I also drink beer, not filtered and watered down, tasteless crap. I want something with flavor, something maybe a little interesting, bold.

I assumed you meant the whole experience. I was wrong.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Give an example of what you'd consider a great meal in a restaurant.

I ask because A) I like food; and B) I had a Doritos Loco Taco at Taco Hell the other day that hit the spot big time, which means I have tastes across the board depending on my mood.

Reactions: BOP
I agree! I've never had a bad meal there.
I've had hit/miss there. One time it was terrific, same meal next time was terrible. Like fish still frozen in the center.
What would you consider high end?
Island Hideaway, while certainly a huge cut above the standard fare around here, is still not what I consider high end or fine dining.

High end is having your own waiter, one for every guest.
High end is not having salt and pepper shakers on the table, but a waiter who grinds it for you on demand.
High end is having aperitifs in one room, moving to a dining room, then after dinner drinks and desert in another room.
High end is jacket and tie, skirts and blouses, no jeans or khaki.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I've had hit/miss there. One time it was terrific, same meal next time was terrible. Like fish still frozen in the center.

Island Hideaway, while certainly a huge cut above the standard fare around here, is still not what I consider high end or fine dining.

High end is not having salt and pepper shakers on the table, but a waiter who grinds it for you on demand.
High end is having aperitifs in one room, moving to a dining room, then after dinner drinks and desert in another room.
I agree with you. You and I have better expectations. I recall people raving about the Halfway House, way back in the day. My initial thought was, YUCK.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

High end is having your Corona served ice cold in a tall glass instead of the bottle

I agree.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no snob, just have better expectations. I absolutely enjoy throwing off the helmet, trying to fix my hair and I walk into a place in shorts and flip-flops. But the experience of true high end dining is worth every penny. Many here will simply not appreciate it, it's not for everyone.

If the average person here tried to get into any number of places in NYC, they'd never make it past the front door.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Don't get me wrong, I'm no snob, just have better expectations. I absolutely enjoy throwing off the helmet, trying to fix my hair and I walk into a place in shorts and flip-flops. But the experience of true high end dining is worth every penny. Many here will simply not appreciate it, it's not for everyone.

If the average person here tried to get into any number of places in NYC, they'd never make it past the front door.
:yay:

Elizabeth's Café and Winery in Duck, NC used to have DELICIOUS wine dinners. Sadly, they have closed up years ago.

There was a place I went to a few time on Long Island, now long since closed. The Nine Doors. It was exactly that, it was a true dining experience, not just a dinner. There were, as per the name, 9 doors, and thru each door was a segment of the meal. The gathering room, the aperitif room, the main meal room, the desert room, etc....... You and your group were the ONLY guests in the place at the time, no one else, and it took hours to finish. It's just something you need to do, just to have the experience.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
There was a place I went to a few time on Long Island, now long since closed. The Nine Doors. It was exactly that, it was a true dining experience, not just a dinner. There were, as per the name, 9 doors, and thru each door was a segment of the meal. The gathering room, the aperitif room, the main meal room, the desert room, etc....... You and your group were the ONLY guests in the place at the time, no one else, and it took hours to finish. It's just something you need to do, just to have the experience.
I would have been so down with that!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Many here will simply not appreciate it, it's not for everyone.

:howdy: If I can't go casual, I don't want to go. Getting all dressed up and spending hours in a stuffy restaurant eating a bunch of food that is beautiful but not particularly tasty isn't my bag. I'm a BBQ joint kinda gal. Extra points if they have an excellent salad bar and good beers on tap.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Give an example of what you'd consider a great meal in a restaurant.

I ask because A) I like food; and B) I had a Doritos Loco Taco at Taco Hell the other day that hit the spot big time, which means I have tastes across the board depending on my mood.
agreed, if you want bar food (a snack), or a full sit down meal the same standards should apply.
Your loco taco as an example. Service, atmosphere, is the food prepared well, looks good, tastes good, arrived hot and ready to eat.
You can't compare a good pizza place to say a Michelin rated restaurant. I actually forget what I had there, it was underwhelming.
I had the crab tower at Light House. I remember that, it looked neat, tasted even better. Mac Daddy at Tap House, OMG, fried mac & cheese balls smothered in honest to god crab dip, with fried bread points. Not healthy, but just hot, gooey and a little zip of spice.
Wash it down with a nice IPA,
Ever had a lamb pizza.
How about a duck pizza, had that at (bet you didn't guess) Ruddy Duck. Again, washed down with a really good beer.
Elements has some neat apps, jalapeno fritters. I mean, I can go bar food crazy.

Now for a sit down dinner, haven't eaten at Elements in a while, but CD Cafe, Dry Dock, Charles Street all have nice selections, not bar food.
Miss Cafe D' Artist

BernieP

Resident PIA
:howdy: If I can't go casual, I don't want to go. Getting all dressed up and spending hours in a stuffy restaurant eating a bunch of food that is beautiful but not particularly tasty isn't my bag. I'm a BBQ joint kinda gal. Extra points if they have an excellent salad bar and good beers on tap.
Business casual, nobody gets dressed up, even in NYC, ate dinner at Bar American - the Bobby Flay joint.
No salad bars, no buffets. People are disgusting, kids are even worse.
As far as good beer, I want nothing to do with BIG Beer, anything advertised on TV is typically not worth drinking.
I save space for Sam Adams (some of their beers). The funny thing, people go nuts for Corona and all, the Mexicans won't drink it, they call it piss water. I'll stick to the craft brewers, somethings you get a dud, but most often not.

BernieP

Resident PIA

I wouldn't say it was a huge cut, not sure it's above anyone, on par with say Charles Street and Light House, lower than CD Cafe.
In a really good restaurant you will not find condiments on your table, neither will your server proffer them.
Reason is that the food is seasoned to what the chef feels is ideal. If it's really a good restaurant, it is.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The funny thing, people go nuts for Corona and all, the Mexicans won't drink it, they call it piss water.

That's because it is. I don't know anyone who goes nuts for Corona except for @Gilligan . :lol:

I admit to being a beer snob. If all they have on tap is BudCoorsMiller, I'll see what they have in bottles. If that's also all they have in bottles, I'll get an unsweetened iced tea. I'm okay with Sam Adams if that's all they have that's not crap. I tried to like MichUltra but...yeah, no. I'd rather have no beer than bad beer.

No salad bars, no buffets. People are disgusting, kids are even worse.

I love a good salad bar - Fogo de Chao, yes please. Golden Corral, absolutely not. I'll pay good money to not have some trashy no-account and their snotlip kids sharing my buffet.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

That's because it is. I don't know anyone who goes nuts for Corona except for @Gilligan . :lol: I admit to being a beer snob. If all they have on tap is BudCoorsMiller, I'll see what they have in bottles. If that's also all they have in bottles, I'll get an unsweetened iced tea. I'm okay with Sam Adams if that's all they have that's not crap. I tried to like MichUltra but...yeah, no. I'd rather have no beer than bad beer.
I'd rather sip on 3 ounces of whiskey, neat, than drink 2 servings of what is supposed to pass for beer during a dinner outing. Other than that, it's water and lemon, plus, just water cuts down on the bill.