Ravens vs Browns

D

Dixie

I don't know much about football but I watch the games with my son because he's interested and that's important to me. In watching the game yesterday, there was one play that Cleveland's coach (?) contested, something about one ref ruled the catch made by Baltimore was made out of bounds(?) and another ref overruled that call. Time out was called, the announcer was going on about something about the play and Cleveland. When I left the room for a few minutes, Cleveland's coach was smiling, seemed like a big deal was made out of it, the Browns seemed happy. But I thought everything was in Baltimore's favor, so what the hell did I miss?

Next question - Baltimore caught the ball in Clevelands end zone(?). I yelled out interception for which I got a withering look from my son who said it's a turnover mom (imagine dripping w/sarcasm). So what's the difference between an interception and a turnover?

mainman

Set Trippin
Dixie said:
Next question - Baltimore caught the ball in Clevelands end zone(?). I yelled out interception for which I got a withering look from my son who said it's a turnover mom (imagine dripping w/sarcasm). So what's the difference between an interception and a turnover?

• Interception: A forward pass that is caught by the opposition.
  • Fumble: To drop a ball that is in play
If the defense ends up with the ball by either of the above means it is considered a turnover..

So you were right......

D

Dixie

mainman said:
  • Interception: A forward pass that is caught by the opposition.
  • Fumble: To drop a ball that is in play
If the defense ends up with the ball by either of the above means it is considered a turnover..

So you were right......

Thanks for clarifying. That will be the last time that ever happens (being right) :lmao:

Toxick

Splat
Dixie said:
Time out was called, the announcer was going on about something about the play and Cleveland. When I left the room for a few minutes, Cleveland's coach was smiling, seemed like a big deal was made out of it, the Browns seemed happy. But I thought everything was in Baltimore's favor, so what the hell did I miss?

Let me first start off by saying:
:dude: :dude: RAVENS :dude: :dude:

There... Now.

That whole thing with the out-of-bounds toenail was much ado about nothing. I think the only reason they made such a big fuss about it was so that the fans at home had time to go take a quick whiz and get a cold beer.

You didn't miss anything.

Dixie said:

An interception is a turnover, but a turnover is not necessarily an interception. A turnover is simply when control of the ball is 'turned over' to the other team. This can happen either by an interception, fumble, or turnover on downs.

In this case, however, when McAlister caught Frye's pass in the end zone, that was an interception. Not sure why your boy said it's not.

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
I, too, was confused about that particular call, and even hubby couldn't figure it out. (All tho he acted like he did) One ref called receivers' foot out of bounds before he caught the ball and the other (upper ref) called it a fair catch. :popcorn: BUT, the Ravens took the 5 yd penalty. WHY???? Oh well, they won, that's all that matters! My son lives 3 miles away and I swear, I could hear him yelling for the Ravens. :lmao:

D

Dixie

Toxick said:
Let me first start off by saying:
:dude: :dude: RAVENS :dude: :dude:

There... Now.

That whole thing with the out-of-bounds toenail was much ado about nothing. I think the only reason they made such a big fuss about it was so that the fans at home had time to go take a quick whiz and get a cold beer.

You didn't miss anything.

An interception is a turnover, but a turnover is not necessarily an interception. A turnover is simply when control of the ball is 'turned over' to the other team. This can happen either by an interception, fumble, or turnover on downs.

In this case, however, when McAlister caught Frye's pass in the end zone, that was an interception. Not sure why your boy said it's not.

Learning disabilities -I'm just really glad he's watching the games. Seems like a good "male" thing to do.

Thanks for explaining - I understood why the Browns coach looked happy with the original call but I didn't get at all why he looked happy afterward. Could have been a replay I was looking at (or maybe he got to go too)

Good last quarter was it not? Joe and I were actually screaming.

Vince

Dixie said:
Learning disabilities -I'm just really glad he's watching the games. Seems like a good "male" thing to do.

Thanks for explaining - I understood why the Browns coach looked happy with the original call but I didn't get at all why he looked happy afterward. Could have been a replay I was looking at (or maybe he got to go too)

Good last quarter was it not? Joe and I were actually screaming.
That's great that Joe will sit and watch football. Wish I could get Jay interested in it.

D

Dixie

FancyBelle said:
I, too, was confused about that particular call, and even hubby couldn't figure it out. (All tho he acted like he did) One ref called receivers' foot out of bounds before he caught the ball and the other (upper ref) called it a fair catch. :popcorn: BUT, the Ravens took the 5 yd penalty. WHY???? Oh well, they won, that's all that matters! My son lives 3 miles away and I swear, I could hear him yelling for the Ravens. :lmao:

That's what happened!!!! That's the part I didn't understand, the play was called in the Ravens favor but they took a 5 yard penalty. Can anyone explain that please?

Toxick

Splat
Dixie said:
That's what happened!!!! That's the part I didn't understand, the play was called in the Ravens favor but they took a 5 yard penalty. Can anyone explain that please?

The way I understood it was the Ravens didn't take a 5 yd penalty - the Browns did. There was a Brown who was offsides before the pass was thrown.

The Receiver did nothing to incur a penalty. Even if he caught the ball with his foot out of bounds, it would have simply been an incomplete pass - there would have been no yardage penalty for that.

But since the Browns player was offsides, the Browns got a 5 yard penalty, and it stayed second down... (I think it was second down).

D

Dixie

Vince said:
That's great that Joe will sit and watch football. Wish I could get Jay interested in it.

He's got a good teacher at Great Mills that pushed it to get the kids interested. I was semi-interested before but to watch something with Joe that is not cartoons and gets him up and hollaring, it's really fun, just seems such a "normal" thing to do. You've got a good life with Jay though Vince, it's so obvious.

D

Dixie

Toxick said:
The way I understood it was the Ravens didn't take a 5 yd penalty - the Browns did. There was a Brown who was offsides before the pass was thrown.

The Receiver did nothing to incur a penalty. Even if he caught the ball with his foot out of bounds, it would have simply been an incomplete pass - there would have been no yardage penalty for that.

But since the Browns player was offsides, the Browns got a 5 yard penalty, and it stayed second down... (I think it was second down).

You're right I remember that now. :flowers:

D

Dixie

mainman said:
Any blurring, or is it clear and crisp? What is the color quality like? :popcorn:

Actually it's pretty decent. No blurring, clear, wouldn't give it a real crisp - like not movie theater quality by any means but decent.