Read anything by James Redfield

K

Kain99

He's amazing?

I read the Celestine Prophecy and Unfortunately do not hold Redfield in such high regard.

The Celestine Prophecy spoke to discontentment with reductionist thinking and dissatisfaction with materialism (of both the philosophical and commercial sort). O.K. so far so good.

It offered seductively rare optimism about the future and human nature. There is the promise of an easy, natural "spiritual self-enhancement", which can be acquired without the structure, discipline and delayed gratification of traditional religion. This particularly irked me.

Redfield promised that the strife and uncertainties of life and love in the late 20th century are only the birthing pains of the coming spiritual re-awakening. Sorry I wasn't born yesterday and cannot subscribe to such fanciful tripe!

But it's nothing personal. I'm glad you like him. For me.... I view Redfield as selling a load of shiat in a really pretty package. :wink:

Thoth

Kain - Maybe you weren't impressed because you were already spiritually 'awake' when you read it. It's mostly a stepping stone into the realm of spirituality without religion for people who are unluminated. It gives hope because there is hope. Nothing is easy, everything needs work from keeping your home clean to keeping your relationship. I don't think he ever gave the notion that spiritual enhancement was easy. How hard is it to give up trans-fatty processed foods> Extremely. How hard is it for an alcoholic to give up beer? A smoker to quit? All these vices and desires are firmly implanted into our 3-d reality and are hard to eliminate.