Reality of Gun Ownership

Xaquin44

Swords are silent and you know your home better than the intruder. Stealth is the better tactic with a sword. You can cut a leg off or maybe just a foot. You've incapacitated the intruder. No one dies. Everyone is happy.

he could hop at you.

you're terrible at this!

plus, god job on ruining your carpet.

YOUR WIFE WILL BE PISSED AT YOU FOR RUINING THE CARPET WHEN YOU KNOW HER MOTHER AND SISTER ARE COMING FOR DINNER TOMORROW AND YOU'LL NEVER GET THAT STAIN OUT!

Xaquin44

Anything that you are likely to encounter in the confines of a home when responding to the sound of broken glass or whatever. Plants, lamps, heavy coat, whatever.....

I don't really follow you here. If your aim is getting messed up with spray or a stun gun etc. it will be messed up using a gun as well.

smcop

Being in your home, unwanted, taking your things, and not fleeing away when ordered.

Then, presented with those facts, the intruder is not presenting themself as someone who has chosen the fight option rather than the flight option. You should defend your family and home in the best manner suited for you. In my home I would eliminate the threat.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Idk :shrug:
Are you ok with killing your kid because someone in your house *might* be armed? You tell me. I'm sure not ok with that.

I would bet to guess far more people are killed in their own homes by intruders than are killed by a family member killing an intruder. I can live with me accidently killing my kid while killing an intruder more than I can live with an intruder killing my kid because I didn't act.

Novus Collectus

So, what I'm hearing is...It's ok to shoot your kid, as long as you also hit the home intruder? :confused:
Well now that doesn't sound like something I can support.

I am saying it is ok to take the highly unlikely chance of injuring your kid if it saves their life or keeps them from being raped.
...you do support keeping kids from being raped don't you?

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I don't really follow you here. If your aim is getting messed up with spray or a stun gun etc. it will be messed up using a gun as well.

Do you know the difference between cover and concealment????

Well what is normally only concealment becomes cover when you are talking about tasers and OC.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Then, presented with those facts, the intruder is not presenting themself as someone who has chosen the fight option rather than the flight option. You should defend your family and home in the best manner suited for you. In my home I would eliminate the threat.

:confused:
I thought you won't kill someone who is fleeing. How do you know whether he is fleeing or actually just going out to the car to get his grenade launcher? :faint:

PsyOps

Pixelated
he could hop at you.

you're terrible at this!

plus, god job on ruining your carpet.

YOUR WIFE WILL BE PISSED AT YOU FOR RUINING THE CARPET WHEN YOU KNOW HER MOTHER AND SISTER ARE COMING FOR DINNER TOMORROW AND YOU'LL NEVER GET THAT STAIN OUT!

No, no, no... I'm much quicker than that. He hops at me, I chop the other foot off. Besides, we've been wanting to change the color of our carpet anyway.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

I would bet to guess far more people are killed in their own homes by intruders than are killed by a family member killing an intruder. I can live with me accidently killing my kid while killing an intruder more than I can live with an intruder killing my kid because I didn't act.
Really?
Damn. I wouldn't want to kill my kid. But hey...your choice. Too bad the guy was actually holding his cell phone and not a handgun :ohwell:

I am saying it is ok to take the highly unlikely chance of injuring your kid if it saves their life or keeps them from being raped.
...you do support keeping kids from being raped don't you?

Of course I don't think kids should be raped :duh:

Novus Collectus

Really?
Damn. I wouldn't want to kill my kid. But hey...your choice. Too bad the guy was actually holding his cell phone and not a handgun :ohwell:
Right, a home invader just broke in to get better reception for his cell phone. Got it.

They broke in, they are not there to have tea and crumpets with you and your family.
Of course I don't think kids should be raped :duh:
Then you agree you should use the best means available to prevent them getting raped.
The odds of shooting a kid you were not aiming at is very low, and the odds of stopping the threat to your kid with an item other than a firearm is lower than if you had a firearm, so if you want to best protect your kid from being raped and/or killed, then you should use a gun to defend them with.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Really?

And too bad the guy shouldn't have been there in first place. I'm not killing my kid. If I shoot an intruder, that didn't belong in my house in the first place, it is the intruder that killed my kid. He forced me into a position where I had to act and by HIS consequence, not mine, my kid was killed. I'm not going to stand around long enough to assess whether his cell phone is a gun, or his reach into his pocket is a badge, or if that shiny thing in his hand is silverware he was going to steal. I am going to think about my family and the threat this person is posing on them.

This_person

You're continueing to not answer the question. Presented with those facts, do YOU feel that the victim is justified in using his weapon?

When you say you would "eliminate the threat", HOW would YOU eliminate the threat?