Reche Caldwell signs 1 year deal

Nupe2

mainman said:
Maybe Brandon Lloyd will wake the #### up now....

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Is he any good? I've heard the name but don't know anything about him.

From the Boston Globe:

Caldwell can't hang on this time

By Christopher L. Gasper, Globe Staff | September 4, 2007

The Patriots sent Reche Caldwell on an out route yesterday, releasing their most productive receiver from last season. Caldwell led the team in receptions (61) and receiving yards (760) and tied for the team lead in touchdown catches (4).

The sixth-year wideout became expendable when Randy Moss returned to health.

"It pretty much feels that way, yeah," said Caldwell, who joined the team last year as a free agent. "[Sunday] was his first day back and it may have something to do with it, it may not. The decision was made and I'm looking to move on. I'm not bitter or mad. That's part of the game, players move on."

Cutting Caldwell leaves the Patriots with Moss, Donte' Stallworth, Wes Welker, Kelley Washington, and Jabar Gaffney on the active roster at wide receiver. The team also has Bam Childress and C.J. Jones on the practice squad and Troy Brown and Chad Jackson on the reserve/physically-unable-to-perform list.

All the moves the team made in the offseason at the position foreshadowed Caldwell's departure.

"They brought a lot of guys in. Those are the guys they stuck with," said Caldwell. "It's a bit of a surprise. In training camp I was taking a lot of the reps because Moss was hurt and Donte' was hurt and Jabar was hurt. They stuck with the guys they wanted and I wish them the best."

Caldwell, who had already collected a $106,720 workout bonus and was scheduled to make a base salary of $1.55 million, said he wasn't sure the key drops he had in last season's AFC Championship game played a part in his release.

He did say he is hopeful that he will find a new home. But that will be tougher now that teams have set their 53-man rosters coming out of training camp.

"I think it's very disappointing," said Caldwell's agent, Tony Fleming. "I think Reche had a really good year last year. I think he was very reliable for them last year. He counted on them like they counted on him."

Last edited:

mainman

Set Trippin
Nupe2 said:
Is he any good? I've heard the name but don't know anything about him.
He caught 61 balls last year with the pats, (although he had 2 huge drops in the AFC Championship game against the Colts)...
If he puts forth any effort at all he should be able to outplay Lloyd....:shrug:

Nupe2

mainman said:
He caught 61 balls last year with the pats, (although he had 2 huge drops in the AFC Championship game against the Colts)...
If he puts forth any effort at all he should be able to outplay Lloyd....:shrug:

Probably right about that. Another $12 million (Lloyd guarantee) that could have been used on a D-Lineman or two.

BuddyLee

Football addict
The Cowgirls were very interested in acquiring Caldwell.

However, I would have liked to see a taller more physical receiver.

2007 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 63 | Key
Alert: None

Comment: A pro with 61 receptions and four touchdowns. He was acquired from the Chargers in 2006 where he was the second or third option and had a tough time staying healthy. After Tom Brady tried to find a new "go to guy" early in the season, Caldwell became his main target as he lead the team in receptions and touchdowns. He has decent push off the line and is a solid route runner but is not explosive and has questionable pure speed to stretch deep zones. He is an improved route runner. Caldwell is effective to get in and out of his stems and gets his head around quickly to make the timely reception. He has had some decent long receptions but is not a strong run after the catch receiver. He is not elusive and has average burst in the open field. He has good hands, can extend and make the tough reception. He has courage in traffic and will compete when the ball goes up. Caldwell should be a more physical blocker for his size but is inconsistent with his effort. It will be interesting to see how much he will touch the ball in 2007 with the new off season acquisitions.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I'll reserve my praise or criticism until I see him on the field in a Skins uniform.

fedex

Relax, it's fedex
I think this could be a good signing. I think he is a solid reciever. We will see how much playing time he gets. He is still considered young and played pretty decent on a Patriots team last year. Have to consider that he had one of the best quarterbacks ever to play the game.