Recipe for teriyaki chicken on a stick like at the fair??

Stavrose

I have searched google but I can find a recipe that tastes just like the teriyaki chicken on a stick you get at the fairgrounds or artsfest. It's the only think I really like to eat at those events. I thought I'd post here as a last try. That little Asian guy works his ass off at that grill. I wish I didn't have only two chances a year to eat that chicken.

Rt235

I have searched google but I can find a recipe that tastes just like the teriyaki chicken on a stick you get at the fairgrounds or artsfest. It's the only think I really like to eat at those events. I thought I'd post here as a last try. That little Asian guy works his ass off at that grill. I wish I didn't have only two chances a year to eat that chicken.

Try looking up "Yakatori" means chicken ( or beef) on a stick grilled over a habachi...basic Japanese fast food!

Agee

Use boneless, skinless chicken thighs, mo flavor, mo juicy, of course chicken breast will work. Whatever your choice, cut chicken into strips across the grain of the chicken pieces.

Marinade:

Teriyaki Sauce
Brown Sugar
Ginger
Garlic
Black Pepper, salt not needed, teriyaki has plenty of sodium
Red Pepper flakes
Lime Juice
Oil, sesame preferred, but vegetable is fine
Sherry, Beer or white wine (optional)

Notes: powered ginger or garlic is fine, fresh of course is better. The fresh garlic and Ginger just needs to be coarsely chopped.

Mix all marinade ingredients, place chicken in a large zip-lock bag, add marinade and store in the frig for about two hours, longer marinade time is fine.

Soak bamboo skewers, smaller ones preferred, in water for 30 mins. "Thread meat unto skewers and grill, keep an eye on them, they will cook rather quickly. If you'd like a basting sauce, reserve some of the original marinade or bring the used marinade to a boil in a saucepan.

Bon Appetit !

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Why not ask the guy at the fair what he uses?

I like to use pineapple juice for my teriyaki marinate. Experiment with the above recipe. The longer you let them soak, the deeper the flavor. You can also make a sauce with the same marinate recipe. Bring it to a boil and mix in some cornstarch/water to thicken.

A fun recipe very similar is something called chicken lollipops. Use the wing part closest to the breast. Run a knife all around the small end. Then unroll the raw meat back over the fat part of the wing. Marinate those and cook them. Some people even take the piece of cartilage off of the small end. They come with their own handle as you hold the exposed bone to eat them.

Chicken-Lollipop-51.jpg

Chicken_Lollipop.jpg

Last edited:

Midnightrider

easy teriyaki marinade

2 cups soy sauce
1/2 cup white sugar
2 cloves garlic
fresh ginger grated
splash of seaseme oil
black pepper

Heat all of the ingredients in a sauce pan until sugar is completely melted, then cool. Marinate your meat (works on chicken, fish, beef, goose, etc) for about an hour, not too much longer or it will begin to cure.
Remove meats from marinade and reheat it to boiling. you can add some corn startch to thinken it.
Grill your meats brushing with the sauce towards the end of cooking.

you can play with the ratios if you like it sweeter, but be careful as the sugar tends to burn.

sm8

I have never had it but now I want to try it LOL is it a wet or a dry chicken? The Chinese place in Charlotte Hall that is near Ritas and the "NEW" Verizon Wireless store has chicken teriyaki on a stick that is pretty good but it was dry and not wet like I expected it to be.

Stavrose

I have never had it but now I want to try it LOL is it a wet or a dry chicken? The Chinese place in Charlotte Hall that is near Ritas and the "NEW" Verizon Wireless store has chicken teriyaki on a stick that is pretty good but it was dry and not wet like I expected it to be.

I think all the Chinese places deep fry there chicken. The guy at the fair grills it on a huge BBQ. He uses a big stick and puts a lot of chicken on it. It's dry but so juice and tender once you bit into it.

I never thought to ask how it was made because I thought his English was limited.

Someone needs to make a company like edible arrangements so a man can get a Bouquet of meat on a stick :)

kenisgod1

I use Mama Sita’s barbecue marinade for my chicken skewers.

Boneless chicken thighs, minced garlic and marinade.
Throw it in a bowl and let it sit overnight.

Put on water soaked bamboo skewers and they're ready to grill........

mamatutu

mama to two
I hope some of our local oriental restaurants see this thread. The teriyaki chicken on a stick is my least fave when I get a poo poo/pu pu platter. I am going to try some of the suggestions here at home. Thanks!

mamatutu

mama to two
Never had the chicken at the fair, but we use SoyVay and add extras to it

That is a catchy product name. Like oy vey. Kind of like some posts I have replied to you. :doh: Where do you get that sauce? I haven't seen it at Giant. Thanks.

ReadingTheNews

Use boneless, skinless chicken thighs, mo flavor, mo juicy, of course chicken breast will work. Whatever your choice, cut chicken into strips across the grain of the chicken pieces.

Marinade:

Teriyaki Sauce
Brown Sugar
Ginger
Garlic
Black Pepper, salt not needed, teriyaki has plenty of sodium
Red Pepper flakes
Lime Juice
Oil, sesame preferred, but vegetable is fine
Sherry, Beer or white wine (optional)

Notes: powered ginger or garlic is fine, fresh of course is better. The fresh garlic and Ginger just needs to be coarsely chopped.

Mix all marinade ingredients, place chicken in a large zip-lock bag, add marinade and store in the frig for about two hours, longer marinade time is fine.

Soak bamboo skewers, smaller ones preferred, in water for 30 mins. "Thread meat unto skewers and grill, keep an eye on them, they will cook rather quickly. If you'd like a basting sauce, reserve some of the original marinade or bring the used marinade to a boil in a saucepan.

Bon Appetit !

Can you please post the amounts for the ingredient list?

TIA!

Agee

Can you please post the amounts for the ingredient list?

TIA!

Being a "marinade" amounts are not exacting... For 2lbs of prepped chicken:

Teriyaki Sauce - 3/4 to whole bottle
Brown Sugar - 2 to 3 heaping tbsps.
Ginger - fresh, 1 nice section, peeled and coarsely chopped. Dried, 2 tbsps.
Garlic - 3 cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped, dried, 2 tbsps.
Black Pepper, salt not needed, teriyaki has plenty of sodium, several turns of the pepper mill, or 2 tbsps.
Red Pepper flakes, couple of pinches
Lime Juice, 1 small lime, squeezed
Oil, sesame preferred, but vegetable is fine, 2 tbsps.
Sherry, Beer or white wine (optional) sherry 1/4 cup, beer 1/2 cup

The use of teriyaki and pineapple juice is a simple and great choice as well, as mentioned by a previous poster!

Black Pepper, salt not needed, teriyaki has plenty of sodium, several turns of the pepper mill, or 2 tbsps.

The use of teriyaki and pineapple juice is a simple and great choice as well, as mentioned by a previous poster!
Sounds like an excellent marinade! I betcha I wouldn't need to dunk my chicken in ketchup after all that goodness! :drool:

ReadingTheNews

Thank you!
(I'm printing it out as well :drool: )

sm8

I asked while I was at the fair, the guys reply was "Not here, in DC" I asked the name and he said "In DC". I rarely go to DC but maybe other people who do would spot them.