Recognize these symptoms?

Geek

My FIL is having weird symptoms. He had a nasal surgery, and developed and infection that was treated with antibiotics. The day after his surgery (I believe) he has been experiencing a sore throat followed by excruciating joint pain that wanders, foot, fingers, knees, etc. He has been tested for Lyme and it has come back negative. It is the worst at night.

I have googled my ass off and I come up with nothing. Anyone have any ideas? The Doctors seem stumped. TIA :flowers:

My FIL is having weird symptoms. He had a nasal surgery, and developed and infection that was treated with antibiotics. The day after his surgery (I believe) he has been experiencing a sore throat followed by excruciating joint pain that wanders, foot, fingers, knees, etc. He has been tested for Lyme and it has come back negative. It is the worst at night.

I have googled my ass off and I come up with nothing. Anyone have any ideas? The Doctors seem stumped. TIA :flowers:

He's got a worm crawling around thru his body.....in and out of the joints.... the doctors inserted it thru his ear while he was having surgery.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
A sore throat is extremely common after any surgery due to intubation. It's almost guaranteed after nasal (sinus) surgery.

punjabigyrl

I would check all the medications he take and the once he got while in the hospital. also the meds used to treat his infection. Sometime the antibiotic can cause really bad side effects. Look up all the side effects on the meds and interactions The doctor gave me bactrim and the major side effect is you get stevens johnson syndome. i got a mild version of it and needless to say I can't take or get any sulfa based biotics. That dries you out from the inside out. I also found that he could have given me milder biotic.

Geek

A sore throat is extremely common after any surgery due to intubation. It's almost guaranteed after nasal (sinus) surgery.

His infection was in his throat too. This pain has persisted for over two weeks now. Every night his throat hurts, followed by the pain. It is better durng the day. I am so :confused: I can't imagine what is causing this. Such weird symptoms.

SoMDGirl42

How long ago was the surgery? A few days out sometimes joint pain is common with general anesthesia.

Has he been checked for blood clots?

Next would be to have his thyroid checked. Joint pain can be common with hypothyroidism. It may be coinidence that the join pain started after the surgery.

Three starting points anyway. :shrug:

Hope he feels better.

Geek

I would check all the medications he take and the once he got while in the hospital. also the meds used to treat his infection. Sometime the antibiotic can cause really bad side effects. Look up all the side effects on the meds and interactions The doctor gave me bactrim and the major side effect is you get stevens johnson syndome. i got a mild version of it and needless to say I can't take or get any sulfa based biotics. That dries you out from the inside out. I also found that he could have given me milder biotic.

How long ago was the surgery? A few days out sometimes joint pain is common with general anesthesia.

Has he been checked for blood clots?

Next would be to have his thyroid checked. Joint pain can be common with hypothyroidism. It may be coinidence that the join pain started after the surgery.

Three starting points anyway. :shrug:

Hope he feels better.

Thanks ladies. I will mention these ideas and google his meds.

ohstate

Not uncommon following sinus surgery to have a sore throat. Lots of drainage. Has he been rinsing his sinuses regularly? That supposedly helps with the healing. Also, is he sleeping with his head elevated? That helps with the drainage after sinus surgery.

Also, some antibiotics have strange side effects. For example, levaquin is sometimes associated with leg pain. I had horrible leg pain and swelling under my arms when they gave me that stuff. I was supposed to be on it for 20 days, but quit taking it around day 11.

Here's a link to my ENT's post-op instructions:
http://www.washingtonent.com/assets/docs/postop_nasalsinussurgery.PDF