recomendations please?

Pippin3121

I'm pretty new to the area (st mary's co) and would like to move my horse here too. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for barns/vets/farriers . . .I've looked into a few barns but want to make sure I'm thorough and know very little about vets or farriers in the area.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
I'm pretty new to the area (st mary's co) and would like to move my horse here too. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for barns/vets/farriers . . .I've looked into a few barns but want to make sure I'm thorough and know very little about vets or farriers in the area.
Persimmon Creek Farm 301-672-4636 and we can discuss your needs. Thx. Lisa Durst

nutz

What are you looking for in terms of barn? Full care, self care, pasture only, amenities, lessons.......
Tidewater and Bay Equine are two horse vets serving this area.

HorseQueen

I'd prefer full care w/ a ring of some kind and access to trails

Cage Stables in St. Leonard offers full care and has a couple openings. They also have a sand riding ring, a small grass jumping ring and a larger grass arena, a large grass cross country field, tons of trails and beach access on the Patuxent River.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
It depends on your price range, where you want to be etc.

The vet. I use Tidewater - Dr. Tacia.

Richard Victor for shoes.

I also board at a small private farm with no openings.

Hoover

How many horses do you have? We may have one stall open at my barn. We have a grass riding ring and a round pen. about 100 acres of grass. Its a private barn. They are awesome people. Amish farrier comes every 6-7 weeks (at your cost). and your vet of choice (at your cost) Oh and Trails. Full board.

Its located in the southern end of charles county by St. Marys off rt. 234.

Duckz

I'd prefer full care w/ a ring of some kind and access to trails

If you're ok with field board then A Moment In Time Farm has full board with access to nice trails and a big outdoor arena. Woodbury Equestrian Center has full board with stalls, blanketing, etc but limited trails. They do have an indoor ring though. Cremona is a nice private farm up in Mechanicsville with great trails, I'm not sure about openings there. The first two you can google, and I actually don't know who is running Cremona these days. Maybe someone else can chime in.

I've boarded at all three places over the years and am comfortable recommending them.

ETA: I use Tidewater for vet (Dr. Runde and Dr. Tacia are my favorites), Dr. Miller and Dr Mende are also good. Richard Victor and Tim Gray are the ones I recommend for shoeing. PM if you need contact info for anyone.

Pippin3121

How many horses do you have? We may have one stall open at my barn. We have a grass riding ring and a round pen. about 100 acres of grass. Its a private barn. They are awesome people. Amish farrier comes every 6-7 weeks (at your cost). and your vet of choice (at your cost) Oh and Trails. Full board.

Its located in the southern end of charles county by St. Marys off rt. 234.

I only have one horse, could I possibly get contact info?

nutz

Nice! Here's a second edition. Still has some outdated info but adds new contacts too.

http://www.somarylandsogood.com/pdf/FinalEquineGuide08.pdf

Good catch, thanks. I wish they would do more to advertise their services, but.........the disclaimers are good.

"The Southern Maryland Equine Guide includes only voluntary listings and is not intended to be an endorsement of any particular farm, service, or business. The guide was compiled with information from sources throughout the state and in response to our inquiries. Horse businesses may or may not be licensed; please refer to Maryland Horse Industry Board for information or contact the business directly."

lovemybulldog

Thanks everyone for the info!

Lisa Durst w/ Persimmon Creek Farm is AWESOME!!!! My horse was there up until we were ready to bring him to our house and if I couldn't make it by to see him I knew he was well taken care of especially during my pregnancy. Very reasonable pricing too. I actually wish he was still there just because I miss everyone