Recommendation for a Brake Controller

I need a recommendation for a trailer brake controller for my GMC 1500. I'll be towing a small flatbed trailer, single axle, with electric brakes.

I guess a better request is for what to stay away from. I'm not familiar with any of these units.

TIA.

nutz

I need a recommendation for a trailer brake controller for my GMC 1500. I'll be towing a small flatbed trailer, single axle, with electric brakes.

I guess a better request is for what to stay away from. I'm not familiar with any of these units.

TIA.
For your application, the Tekonsha P2 would be a good choice, the Primus IQ is ~ $35 cheaper and would do what you want. Neither has all the bells and whistles like a P3 but still offer smooth trailer braking.

Bonehead

Yep same comment although the very first one I bought was Tango Uniform out of the box..had to borrow the sellers unit to drive a travel trailer home from WVA.

DoWhat

Sexy Stud
PREMO Member
For your application, the Tekonsha P2 would be a good choice, the Primus IQ is ~ $35 cheaper and would do what you want. Neither has all the bells and whistles like a P3 but still offer smooth trailer braking.
An excellent choice. I have those in two trucks; really happy with the performance.
Ditto the comments on the P2, a very good brake controller
:yay:
We use it on our Chevy 2003 Silverado to pull the horse trailer.
I thought the newer trucks had a built in brake controller.

DoWhat

Sexy Stud
PREMO Member
Expensive package option, and from what I've heard, not a good controller.
Very happy with our Tekonsha P2.
Just make sure to adjust the controller when you install it.
Ours when installed would lock up the trailers brakes.

DoWhat

Sexy Stud
PREMO Member
Very happy with our Tekonsha P2.
Just make sure to adjust the controller when you install it.
Ours when installed would lock up the trailers brakes.
Also,
I had to install a fuse in the main fuse box on the truck to provide the constant 12v to the bumper plug, for the trailer accessories.