Recommendations for Barefoot boots/ experience?

Hi GUys- we are transitioning our Q/H (not ridden very regularly) to barefoot- he still gets ouchy on dirt/gravel areas so been looking at the various horse boots- Have eliminated OLD Mac of any model entirely but like the Boa Boot and the newer advertised Cavello. Has anyone tried or been using boots to ride in versus shoes and what are the actual experiences/recommendations. The Web sites/review are all conflicting info- since we are not Enduarnace riders in the Rockies, was just hoping to find something that was useful and stayed on- even on the TWH taking to Fair Hill at the end of the month- he is going great barefoot but I know it is Rocky/gravelly up there and hope to ride him three days not just one! :whistle: Terri

DQ2B

I have both the Boa boots and the old type easy boot (tweaked for better performance). The Boa's are very user friendly, though you need to be careful not to over-tighten the dial as it will press on the coronary. I've ridden in all types of terrain and in water in them. You'll need to drill the drain holes bigger if you'll be going through streams. If you want to speed up the foot function process you can also easily cut a piece of dense neoprene to fit inside which will create added pressure on the frog. New on the market by the makers of Easy Boots is their Bare model which have had great reports on performance but will be trickier to get on.

DQ2B

Oh, P.S., you can also get hoof pads from www.equinepodiatry.net that you cut and tape to the foot and walk the horse @ 20 minutes once or twice a day and then later walking barefoot on the asphalt will really help obtain proper foot function.

fredsaid2

I looked into boots due to abrasive footing but went w/ traditional shoes because of jumping. If it weren't for that I liked the Boa boots. Elam's has them in stock. If they end up being your choice you could get the sizing done in one trip. All the boot sites recommend a breaking in time and the Boa's advise using their gaiters due to potential rubbing. In case you didn't come across this one already, here's a site that breaks down best use scenarios
http://www.easycareinc.com/ebinfo/default.aspx

The only other boot I found was Marquis, looked pretty interesting but very pricey. The good part is you can order just parts to replace, say the sole, or some other piece instead of the whole boot. Good luck with your research!

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
I've used the Easyboots with lots of success and like that they do not rub the fetlock anywhere when trimmed properly. They can be a bear to put on and off if they fit properly but then they stay on securely too. They can be tricky to size correctly depending on your horses hoof shape and how they've been trimmed. I had a pair that fit my gelding when he was barefoot but a few months later after he had been shod and threw a shoe I tried to use the same boot but it wouldn't fit. I had to get a size smaller. They are reasonably priced so if you do lose one on the trail it won't make you cry to badly! Have you tried birthing your own farrier? Worked for me - no shoe troubles!!!! ha ha

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
HorseLady said:
I've used the Easyboots with lots of success and like that they do not rub the fetlock anywhere when trimmed properly. They can be a bear to put on and off if they fit properly but then they stay on securely too. They can be tricky to size correctly depending on your horses hoof shape and how they've been trimmed. I had a pair that fit my gelding when he was barefoot but a few months later after he had been shod and threw a shoe I tried to use the same boot but it wouldn't fit. I had to get a size smaller. They are reasonably priced so if you do lose one on the trail it won't make you cry to badly! Have you tried birthing your own farrier? Worked for me - no shoe troubles!!!! ha ha
:ohwell: I'm jealous!!
Tell him we'll see him this week, and be ready since he and rottncop missed each other last session he'll have to do EVERYONE this time :lol: that's 9 horses BTW.

Apps and Lady-
Yeah! After reviewing so many types of boots, went with our gut and picked up the Boas at Emil's today- (includes the Gaters BTW) Anyway, fitted with the pads for the QH this afternoon- toooo cool-- he traveled the gravel like nothing. ANd he is sooo sensitive. I fitted him with pad inserts special but we will take out the pads to switch to one more horse and hopefully get 2 horses worth of use since they are the same size. Figure we will walk a bit every night for a while while the new shoes break in....We do our own NB trimming- advid readers of Pete's books and (also Gene's) Web site! So far so good on 4 horses! The Paso has great feet and we trim up and balance every third week or so for everyone- The New Grey TWH had shoes for 6 years- his feet are hard and looking good! (taking the boots to Fair Hill just in case) The Palomino TWH is on and off ouchy, but he had shoes on forever and has been barefoot since November- we are getting there and it is not way too difficult- just a neat learning experience and the initial investment for the tools and hoof stand. The scariest part my husband has is with the Nippers! But now he handles the rasp and the "toenail cutters" pretty good! Necessity is the Muffa of Invention! :yay:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
dazeworkfarm said:
Apps and Lady-
We do our own NB trimming- advid readers of Pete's books and (also Gene's) Web site! So far so good on 4 horses! The Paso has great feet and we trim up and balance every third week or so for everyone

We're in the process now of toughening our RMHs feet, riding daily on the bankrun gravel road for about 5 miles each day - hopefully this will provide some natural trimming effects as well. Both girls are a bit tenderfooted on the stones. Not lame, but just tenderfooted. Can you post these websites? Id like to do some between farrier visit trimming too, but Rottncop complains it hurts his back :lol: Do you use one of those stands? Where can i get one of those? That would help him, and me.

DQ2B

happyappygirl said:
We're in the process now of toughening our RMHs feet, riding daily on the bankrun gravel road for about 5 miles each day - hopefully this will provide some natural trimming effects as well. Both girls are a bit tenderfooted on the stones. Not lame, but just tenderfooted. Can you post these websites? Id like to do some between farrier visit trimming too, but Rottncop complains it hurts his back :lol: Do you use one of those stands? Where can i get one of those? That would help him, and me.

Here's a few to get you started. BTW, I reccomend KC La Pierre's hoof stand on the equine podiatry web site.

www.equinepodiatry.net
www.ironfreehoof.com
www.hoofrehab.com
www.thehorseshoof.com