Recommendations for headliner replacement

Tami2red

Hi all! I have a 95 Cavalier (Don't laugh, she's only got 150,000 and is paid for! :razz:) I do need to get the headliner replaced though. For obvious reasons, I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on this little project. Any suggestions/recommendations?

RPMDAD

Not laughing at all i have a 2004 cavalier with 40,000 on it. No suggestions on the headliner though.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Any automotive upholstery shop should be able to give you a quote (should be less than $200). Or you could go the DIY route, it isn't that difficult, and spend less than $50.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
You could try Anthony's Upholstery in Hollywood. Located towards the north end of Mervell Dean Road.

You could try Anthony's Upholstery in Hollywood. Located towards the north end of Mervell Dean Road.

I was thinking of the upholstery on Rt 4 just south of 235, but can't remember their name.

Don't be afraid to go to an autobody repair shop and get an estimate. Estimates are free. PJs on GMR is reliable, maybe not the cheapest tho.

If you're handy, you can DIY like Ken recommends. I'm very handy, and tried it once. I now leave things like that to the pros.....

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
If you're handy, you can DIY like Ken recommends. I'm very handy, and tried it once. I now leave things like that to the pros.....

I've done a couple myself, the toughest part is removing the trim pieces that hold the headliner in without breaking them. If you can do that, can use a wire brush and sandpaper (to remove the old foam) and have a place to be able to glue the new material on (and let it set) it is rather easy. TIP: spray the glue on both the liner shell and the material for good adhesion.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I was thinking of the upholstery on Rt 4 just south of 235, but can't remember their name.

Don't be afraid to go to an autobody repair shop and get an estimate. Estimates are free. PJs on GMR is reliable, maybe not the cheapest tho.

They are friends of mine, so I like to send them business. :smile:

I've done a couple myself, the toughest part is removing the trim pieces that hold the headliner in without breaking them. If you can do that, can use a wire brush and sandpaper (to remove the old foam) and have a place to be able to glue the new material on (and let it set) it is rather easy. TIP: spray the glue on both the liner shell and the material for good adhesion.

I found some stuff, 'Motsenbocker's Lift Off', silicone and foam remover. Makes foam removal much easier. Cannot for the life of me remember where I got it.