Recommendations for Pedicures

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I want to get my sweetie the Megamutha Pedicure for Valentine's Day. Who do you recommend?

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I don't get manicures or pedicures. Too many uncleanly places out there and I don't want to be the 1 in 3958473838 who gets some kind of fungi. :biggrin:

However, I'm sure an overpriced hair salon would be your best bet. I know of a really cool place in Waldorf, across from the mall. It's either called The Gallery or The Galleria, can't remember. :ohwell: Anyhow, good luck in your search! I think it will be a much liked gift. :clap:

Cabbage

Fashion Nails in Prince Frederick

Ask for an appointment with "Lan"

I've had pedicures in salons across the country and you can't beat Lan's professionalism, tlc, and the prices are excellent!

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Re: Fashion Nails in Prince Frederick

Originally posted by Cabbage
Ask for an appointment with "Lan"

I've had pedicures in salons across the country and you can't beat Lan's professionalism, tlc, and the prices are excellent!
Sounds like an Asian joint to me. Tell me, does she sterilize each instrument before using it on another client? :bubble:

Cabbage

Many pedicurists are Asian

I haven't been to a non-Asian pedicure business in years. I have had no problems with Fashion Nails in terms of cleanliness and sterilization. They disinfect the foot spa after each use , including the instruments, and they offer each client disposable flip-flops while the nails are drying.

It's a very clean operation IMO.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm interested in getting her not just the nail treatment, but the foot spa treatment. Pampering for stressed feet.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Studio Mirage in Waldorf (in the same shopping center as Nick's of Clinton) is very good. They not only have wonderful manicures and perdicures they also do massage and hair. It's a little more pricey then the "just nail" places but well worth it and have all the "spa" type lotions and potions and such.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Oh yeah and the "Asian" places are Vietnamese. I tend to be a fairly personable person and make friends with the people that work there. The place I use to go to in Waldorf I actually accosionally hung out with some of the younger people that worked there. They took me to the Vietnamese restaraunt that use to be in Waldorf.

Anyway, most of them (at least the ones I've been to) are very clean. They steralize the tools after each use as well as the tubs.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Originally posted by pixiegirl
Anyway, most of them (at least the ones I've been to) are very clean. They steralize the tools after each use as well as the tubs.

:yeahthat: I don't do my nails but I do get my eyebrows wax at one of the "Asian" nail places sometimes. They are very clean/sterile and also spend a little more prep time (extra steps like powder and lotion) than any other places I've been.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by tys_mommy
:yeahthat: I don't do my nails but I do get my eyebrows wax at one of the "Asian" nail places sometimes. They are very clean/sterile and also spend a little more prep time (extra steps like powder and lotion) than any other places I've been.

The place I use to go to in Waldorf was the BEST. I had my eyebrows done ONCE at the place I get my hair done at. The girl can cut hair but keep her away from your eyebrows. :bawl: Anyway, I had to let them grow back for a couple months and then got them done at the place I was getting my nails done at. That girl went all out. She must of spent 10-15 minutes on my eyebrows. They looked wonderful. :yay: :yay: I go to a different place to get my nails done now and the girl does a good job on my eyebrows but not as good as the other girl. I'm seriously considering the inconvienece of getting my eyebrows done in Waldorf and my nails in Bryans Road. :crazy:

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Years ago I went to a salon to get my nails done. Needless to say, I'll never ever have them done again. I developed some kind of green fungus.:barf: Upon going back to the salon to show them what happened, she offered me a free bottle of half-empty "nair porish".

Here are some links to articles I've found. Dateline or 20/20 did a show a few years back about the health risks associated with these places, but I can't find it. Here are others....

Dangers Lurk in Dirty Salons
Hair and Nail Salons Linked to Infectious Diseases
Nail Salon Nightmares

*Note* - Not all nail salons are plagued, I just choose to never take that chance again!

TripleJ

I have a friend that is setting me up on a blind date, I was thinking of having my back shaved for the occasion. Does any one know of a good place for this?:cheers:

willie

Originally posted by TripleJ
I have a friend that is setting me up on a blind date, I was thinking of having my back shaved for the occasion. Does any one know of a good place for this?:cheers:
I would be interested in that also.
128apesmile.jpg

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by ememdee19
Years ago I went to a salon to get my nails done. Needless to say, I'll never ever have them done again. I developed some kind of green fungus.:barf: Upon going back to the salon to show them what happened, she offered me a free bottle of half-empty "nair porish".

Here are some links to articles I've found. Dateline or 20/20 did a show a few years back about the health risks associated with these places, but I can't find it. Here are others....

Dangers Lurk in Dirty Salons
Hair and Nail Salons Linked to Infectious Diseases
Nail Salon Nightmares

*Note* - Not all nail salons are plagued, I just choose to never take that chance again!

Sorry Em but that "green fungus" you developed was probably a result of there being a pocket of moisture between the acrylic and your nail bed. It doesn't have anything to do with dirty tools. But it does have a lot to do with a poor job being done.

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Originally posted by pixiegirl
Sorry Em but that "green fungus" you developed was probably a result of there being a pocket of moisture between the acrylic and your nail bed. It doesn't have anything to do with dirty tools. But it does have a lot to do with a poor job being done.

Dunno, but that fungus is enough to keep me away from those places! It developed in about 6 of my fingers, so I'm not buying the moisture deal. Cleanliness is definitely not their top priority!