Recommendations for Wireless Router Card Thingy for Desktop PC

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
DQ's Desktop PC does not have built-in wifi (don't get me started on that). I had bought a USB wifi thingy for it last year so she could connect to our home wifi, and it seems to be not working properly, so I need to get her another one. She said she did try to update the drivers.

I didn't do a lot of research on the last one, and don't want to make the same mistake this time. Any recommendations? I need something 'dummy'-proof that I can install. I'd rather go the USB route because it's easier, and I don't have to go screwing with anything internally. But if there is something that is pretty easy to do/install in the back that is more reliable, I'm willing to give it a go.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! :howdy:

crabcake

Thank you both. Her computer is upstairs (almost directly) from the router ... maybe 30' as the crow flies, so to speak. She currently has the NetGear Wireless-N dual band (just a plug-in USB, no antenna), and that's what is not working.

crabcake

Also, if it helps, we have Time Warner Cable internet, and an Arris TG1672 modem/router combo provided by them.

glhs837

Power with Control
Just to be sure, have you tried that adapter on another computer to make sure the issue is with the adapter?

crabcake

Okay, I tried it on my laptop, and it wouldn't even recognize the device. Usually, something will automatically pop-up asking to install drivers, etc. I got nothing. Even tried going into the control panel to ID it and set it up ... nada. So I think it's somehow just toast. :shrug:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Okay, I tried it on my laptop, and it wouldn't even recognize the device. Usually, something will automatically pop-up asking to install drivers, etc. I got nothing. Even tried going into the control panel to ID it and set it up ... nada. So I think it's somehow just toast. :shrug:

That would be my guess, but I ain't a computer geek.

crabcake

BUMP - the Princess' patience is peaking! :tap:

Any specific brand/device suggestions (or recommendations for ones to avoid)? She's wanting me to just go to Radio Shack or the like and grab the first thing I can find, which is what we did when getting the last one. :whistle:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
BUMP - the Princess' patience is peaking! :tap:

Any specific brand/device suggestions (or recommendations for ones to avoid)? She's wanting me to just go to Radio Shack or the like and grab the first thing I can find, which is what we did when getting the last one. :whistle:

I have purchased several of the 'Roswell' aka House Brand Wi-Fi USB Adap from newegg