Recommendations - lawn mowers

A few years back, I would have said Craftsman. I have a push mower that I got back in '84, still starts on the first pull.

Now... no idea what's reliable/dependable.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
If I could go back in time 35 years, would buy that $100 Murray with the Tecumsah engine again, got 12 years out of it, with poor maintenance habits.

Goldenhawk

About 3 years ago I bought a set of 60V lithium-ion battery powered yard equipment. They all share the same battery packs. Mower, blower, weed eater, and chainsaw.

I'd never go back to gasoline. Since getting them, I haven't needed to pull start anything and they start instantly with no effort; all my equipment is far quieter than gas-powered; they don't smell bad or pollute my yard with oil smoke; I don't have to store gasoline; I don't have to worry about winterizing the units due to ethanol; they have extremely few moving parts so the reliability is very high.

The bigger 4AH battery will easily cut my 1/4 acre of lawn in one charge, and the 2-1/2AH pack will even get it done. I have several packs that give added runtime, because each unit came with its own battery. Only the chainsaw is an issue; it sucks power and runs out on big jobs, but it's really meant for small jobs anyway.

I'm sure the exact model I bought is not available any more, but what I got was the Snapper brand.

PeoplesElbow

My dad bought a Homolite mower back in the 80s that had an aluminum deck, that thing lasted forever since the deck rusting out was usually the first thing that killed his mowers. When I was in high school I hauled that thing everywhere in the back of my LeSabre to mow grass, I did 6 yards a week in the summer.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Gas-operated push, Calvert Co.
On my last job, I was a small engine mechanic. All the engines listed below run well if properly maintained, but there is a difference in quality/longevity. My favorites mowers are Toro and Husqvarna. Craftsman and Poulan have been cutting corners year after year.

My personal engine ranking:
  1. Honda GVC OHC
  2. Honda GX OHV
  3. Kohler OHV
  4. Briggs and Stratton L head (flat head)
  5. Briggs and Stratton OHV

Reactions: BOP
On my last job, I was a small engine mechanic. All the engines listed below run well if properly maintained, but there is a difference in quality/longevity. My favorites mowers are Toro and Husqvarna. Craftsman and Poulan have been cutting corners year after year.

1. Honda GVC OHC
  2. Honda GX OHV
  3. Kohler OHV
I place a Subaru in between 2 and 3. Have one on my snowthrower. As good as a Honda.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I place a Subaru in between 2 and 3. Have one on my snowthrower. As good as a Honda.
Very good motors. OHC or OHV? I would list it equal to or maybe even slightly above the Honda myself. BOP is looking for push mower recommendations and I listed the ones he will most likely find locally.
:cheers:

Reactions: BOP
Very good motors. OHC or OHV? I would list it equal to or maybe even slightly above the Honda myself. BOP is looking for push mower recommendations and I listed the ones he will most likely find locally.
:cheers:
Don't remember.... too late to look.
Agree with comment about recommendations, which is why I didn't mention it. Haven't seen a push mower with a Subaru motor. Thought maybe Ariens might use one, but it looks like they switched from Subaru/Robin SX series to an Ariens AX series.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Don't remember.... too late to look.
Agree with comment about recommendations, which is why I didn't mention it. Haven't seen a push mower with a Subaru motor. Thought maybe Ariens might use one, but it looks like they switched from Subaru/Robin SX series to an Ariens AX series.
I did a little research on the Ariens and found the AX is a transmutation of the old Tecumseh supposedly. Don't take it as gospel, as this came from forums, but those guys are very passionate about their mowers. :lol:

Here's something that may be of interest:

"The Ariens AX engines are contract manufactured by LCT which is a US company based out of Traveler's Rest, SC with manufacturing facilities in China. LCT has a joint manufacturing partnership with Lauson/CPC out of Janesville Wisconsin who hold the remnants of Tecumseh Power. All Ariens AX engines and parts are serviced and supported directly through Ariens. That is, the warranty and service process is unified for the machine and engine rather than having to work with the engine manufacturer to get service and support separately."

I had one customer that was very particular about who serviced his riding mower and what we did to maintain it. It's a Craftsman, which over the last 2 decades have become cookie cutter mowers until you get into the higher priced models. This thing has a 10ga deck and Honda OHC V twin that ran so smoothly that you could stand a Bic™ lighter on the shroud while it was idling and it would just sit there. The balance of these engines is amazing. They give zero butt vibe to the operator.

stgislander

PREMO Member

1. Honda GVC OHC
  2. Honda GX OHV
  3. Kohler OHV
Next time you are in the neighborhood, I'll have you look at my Troy-Bilt with B&S 093J02 series engine.

SamSpade

When someone can invent a gas-powered lawnmower that can actually consistently start without me breaking my back - I'll buy that one exclusively.
I have bought every brand (except Honda) - even ones that claim instant starting (no priming or anything). Instant start - nope.

But now from what I am reading, I'm definitely leaning toward electric. I only use a push mower for the stuff the tractor can't get.