Recommendations - lawn mowers

phreddyp

There is a difference between the DeWalt tools sold at Lowes vs ones sold by tool stores. Plastic vs Metal gears, lower grade ball bearings etc. I would wager they got ones from Lowes, at one point DeWalt was owned by Black and Decker so the ones Lowes sold were most likely yellow Black and Decker tools. As far as I know the Bosch tools sold at Lowes are still pretty good, the Porter Cable are not.
As I said the tools were too heavy we would call the 1/2 Dewalt drill as the anchor . I am pretty sure that they did not have plastic gears.

glhs837

Power with Control
As I said the tools were too heavy we would call the 1/2 Dewalt drill as the anchor . I am pretty sure that they did not have plastic gears.

You would think someone might have opened up a few and posted the results. Seems very much like something a tool store guy would say to justify his 20% markup. Look at that oil filter guy..... All I can find is lots of people spouting the same thing, but no actual verifiable facts.

https://www.finehomebuilding.com/forum/home-depot-quality

PeoplesElbow

You would think someone might have opened up a few and posted the results. Seems very much like something a tool store guy would say to justify his 20% markup. Look at that oil filter guy..... All I can find is lots of people spouting the same thing, but no actual verifiable facts.

https://www.finehomebuilding.com/forum/home-depot-quality
I can verify the saw blades are different and you can easily verify it too. Go to a store such as woodcraft, rocker etc and find a 10 inch 40 tooth general purpose saw blade, measure the carbide tooth size. Find the same brand blade at lowes and the carbide portion of the tooth is going to be smaller, not a big deal if you throw the blade away instead of sharpening it.

I use to have a Dewalt precision trim blade (made by freud) that was a nice blade for home improvement work, made in Italy, same blade at Lowes is made in China with less carbide, probably lower grade.

Since the original topic is mowers compare John Deeres from Lowes vs Carolls.

glhs837

Power with Control
I can verify the saw blades are different and you can easily verify it too. Go to a store such as woodcraft, rocker etc and find a 10 inch 40 tooth general purpose saw blade, measure the carbide tooth size. Find the same brand blade at lowes and the carbide portion of the tooth is going to be smaller, not a big deal if you throw the blade away instead of sharpening it.

I use to have a Dewalt precision trim blade (made by freud) that was a nice blade for home improvement work, made in Italy, same blade at Lowes is made in China with less carbide, probably lower grade.

The point made was that same exact part number tool is made differently for Lowes or HD. Same brand, same size, same part number? If that the case you are talking about?.

PE, that video would be relevant if he had the same exact to from a tool supplier. I've seen these sort of comparative teardowns for Harbor Freight. Never seen name tools, same tool from big box vs tool distributor.

PeoplesElbow

The point made was that same exact part number tool is made differently for Lowes or HD. Same brand, same size, same part number? If that the case you are talking about?.

PE, that video would be relevant if he had the same exact to from a tool supplier. I've seen these sort of comparative teardowns for Harbor Freight. Never seen name tools, same tool from big box vs tool distributor.
The part numbers are usually slightly different, also keeps from having to price match. To the consumer the tool looks exactly the same and probably for 80% of the buyers it doesnt matter.

Toilets are also made cheaper for the big boxs desire for lower cost.

glhs837

Power with Control
The part numbers are usually slightly different, also keeps from having to price match. To the consumer the tool looks exactly the same and probably for 80% of the buyers it doesnt matter.

Toilets are also made cheaper for the big boxs desire for lower cost.

I get the slight difference in part numbers. But there's no proof to this notion. I've looked, and nada.

black dog

Free America

A few here laughed at me last summer when I made a statement that chain stores have merchandise built to lower specs for sale in stores and online.
I learned about it when I bought pair of what I thought were 10 ply Michelin's for the front of my dually and I was told a few months later at a Michelin truck tire dealer that what was on the front of my truck were "Club Tires" and carried the same name and model number but were only 8 plys instead of ten. With tools like Dewalt, they absolutely make a few different lines for sale at different stores.

glhs837

Power with Control
A few here laughed at me last summer when I made a statement that chain stores have merchandise built to lower specs for sale in stores and online.
I learned about it when I bought pair of what I thought were 10 ply Michelin's for the front of my dually and I was told a few months later at a Michelin truck tire dealer that what was on the front of my truck were "Club Tires" and carried the same name and model number but were only 8 plys instead of ten. With tools like Dewalt, they absolutely make a few different lines for sale at different stores.

Here again, we only have the word of someone with a serious financial incentive to spin a tale. Why has nobody even actually gone out and proven it? Thats the thing right? Ive seen a lot of videos tearing open HF stuff, and other stuff. Seems pretty easy, and the hits would more than pay for the tools. But nobody has........

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
There is a difference between the DeWalt tools sold at Lowes vs ones sold by tool stores. Plastic vs Metal gears, lower grade ball bearings etc. I would wager they got ones from Lowes, at one point DeWalt was owned by Black and Decker so the ones Lowes sold were most likely yellow Black and Decker tools. As far as I know the Bosch tools sold at Lowes are still pretty good, the Porter Cable are not.
Dupontster's brother Gumby used to sing the praises of Porter Cable, so I bought a PC random orbital sander. It's still okay after 25 years, but I'm betting it isn't the quality that his Porter Cable was. Of course, I've only used mine maybe 5 hours in 25 years.

PeoplesElbow

Here again, we only have the word of someone with a serious financial incentive to spin a tale. Why has nobody even actually gone out and proven it? Thats the thing right? Ive seen a lot of videos tearing open HF stuff, and other stuff. Seems pretty easy, and the hits would more than pay for the tools. But nobody has........
When this is all over and I no longer have to care for a stroke survivor I may buy one of each tool and do a tear down. Right now not enough time.

officeguy

As for push mowers, I have had good luck with the base model big box store Toro. Iirc a Briggs engine. Minimal maintenance, starts on the second pull. Easy to maintain. When I bought it, I figured if I get three seasons out of the thing I am ok with it. Going on ten.

DortchRules

After doing much research on-line (the last one, which made me bought it was https://www.ddcountermeasures.com/best-robot-lawn-mower/) I bought the WORX Robot Mower. I must say, I am not disappointed. It took about 2hrs to install including linking the Robot to the App which is fantastic. On the first time out the Robot goes round the boundary wire and I had to make a few small adjustments so it did not nudge the edge of the patio, but apart from that all was good. The App was also easy to download and connecting it to the Robot was easy and since then I have not touched the Robot as all the changes I have made have been done via the App. The automatic schedule set by the App I have extended to cut a little longer each day and you can even tell it to cut the edge by selecting this by day. One thing I will say, is that by the end of the 1st week all the lawn will be cut and then going forward it looks great all the time as ours does. The only thing I have done is trim about 4 cm of grass along the patio edge. This has been a great purchase and a massive time saver as according to the App I have 647m2 of grass I now do not have to cut!

Last edited: