Recusal

Barabbas

From her statement:

“Tomorrow, one hundred United States Senators will be sworn in to serve in the impeachment trial of President Donald Trump. Four of those Senators must recuse themselves for their unparalleled political interest in seeing this President removed from office. These four Democrats, Senators Bennet, Klobuchar, Sanders, and Warren, cannot sit in judgment of the very President they seek to replace. To participate in this trial would be a failure of the oath they took to be an ‘impartial justice according to the Constitution and laws’. Their presidential ambitions prohibit their ability to view this trial through an objective lens.”

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Of course they're not going to be impartial. Duh.

I don't want them to recuse. I want them pulled off the campaign trail - by their own Party no less :lol: - and have to sit and fume through the trial that they wanted so badly. Ha ****ing ha ha ha. : pointsandlaughs :

Joe Biden is about the only one left, so he will likely get the nomination. I cannot wait for #1, the debates; and #2, the freaking shellacking Trump is going to give him on election day.

Grumpy

I still think there is no way in hell that biden gets the nomination..but I'm usually wrong :lol:

SkylarkTempest

Excellent point. When Lindsay Graham, who said he was “trying to give a pretty clear signal I have made up my mind. I’m not trying to pretend to be a fair juror here. What I see coming, happening today, is just a partisan nonsense," recuses himself, then the others should definitely withdraw. Of course, since it's all partisan nonsense anyway, what's the big deal?

Chris0nllyn

This list should include Graham and McConnell who have clearly shown themselves to be impartial as well, but I agree with the idea that those seeking to be the next President have a vested interest in impeaching the current one.

It should have included more than a few House members also, but the cat's out of the bag now.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Of course, since it's all partisan nonsense anyway, what's the big deal?

There ya go :yay: They should save time and money and just go, "53 Republicans, 45 Democrats....no 2/3 majority for conviction, trial's over." Instead they insult us by pretending to be impartial and judicious.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Let's not forget Booker, Gillibrand, and Harris just because they couldn't get enough support to stay in the race.

Barabbas

This list should include Graham and McConnell who have clearly shown themselves to be impartial as well, but I agree with the idea that those seeking to be the next President have a vested interest in impeaching the current one.

It should have included more than a few House members also, but the cat's out of the bag now.
This list should include the vast majority of the Senate, including Harris and Schumer who all but admitted they've made up their minds on guilt AFTER they took the oath to be impartial, in a press conference to announce just that information.

Chris0nllyn

This list should include the vast majority of the Senate, including Harris and Schumer who all but admitted they've made up their minds on guilt AFTER they took the oath to be impartial, in a press conference to announce just that information.

Hell, just let Roberts make a ruling by himself.

Barabbas

Hell, just let Roberts make a ruling by himself.
After his turnaround on the ACA? He's proven himself to not be impartial judge of the law.

I've got an idea...let's let the electoral college decide who should be president unless there's actually a crime committed by the president. Then, Congress can fire him early. But, it has to be a HIGH crime, like treason or something.

I think I've read that somewhere. "Not liking the person who occupies the office" doesn't seem to be a reason to fire him.

Chris0nllyn

After his turnaround on the ACA? He's proven himself to not be impartial judge of the law.

I've got an idea...let's let the electoral college decide who should be president unless there's actually a crime committed by the president. Then, Congress can fire him early. But, it has to be a HIGH crime, like treason or something.

I think I've read that somewhere. "Not liking the person who occupies the office" doesn't seem to be a reason to fire him.

:lol: So you're making the argument that literally no one is capable of impeaching Trump?

Giuliani (and most of the Right) is making the argument that the impeachment charges are not really crimes.

He wrote a column in the Daily Caller arguing that SCOTUS should nullify the impeachment because "abuse of power and obstruction of Congress are not crimes of any kind".

This is the same guy who, in a 2018 interview, said that (after being asked about Trump possibly preemptively pardoning himself for anything that Mueller may have uncovered) "there's nothing that limits the presidential power of pardon [for] a federal crime. The president of the United States pardoning himself would just be unthinkable and it would lead to probably an immediate impeachment..

Well that's just strange. A self-pardon is not a crime, but an impeachable offense? Probably because the argument that "high crimes and misdemeanors" is the absolute only way to get impeached is a dubious one at best.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Any Congress Critter making a statement to the news, or a twitter post since 2016 about how they were going to ' get trump'

Barabbas

:lol: So you're making the argument that literally no one is capable of impeaching Trump?

:lmao: No, that would be silly!

I'm making the observation that virtually anyone can have a claim of bias raised against them, so "bias" isn't a good enough argument. The arguments for recusal are because the senators named would have a tangible result from their role in the proceedings.

I hear if you use the power of your office to damage your political opponent, that's abuse of power. You wouldn't want any of the senators named to have a charge of abuse of power raised against them, would you?

Giuliani (and most of the Right) is making the argument that the impeachment charges are not really crimes.

That's not really an "argument", that's an "observation". Not a thing Trump is charged with is a crime.