Recycling Quandry

stgislander

PREMO Member
I'm writing this as I look at a garbage bag stuffed full of shredded office paper. Many businesses (and individuals) have shredders to shred important papers. So can these businesses dump this shredded paper in the recycling container at the local transfer stations? Well if it is SMC it sounds like the answer is no. As told to our office manager, they don't want the loose shredded paper dumped because it makes a mess. Plus you cannot put the shredded paper in garbage bags because plastic bags are not allowed in the recycling container. Into the big dumpster it goes.

So much for being green. I guess one option would be to put it in large paper yard waste bags. The transfer stations shouldn't have a problem with that.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I've been taken my shreds to the transfer station for years, but it's not commercial volumes, just one garbage bag every couple of weeks.

Keep an eye out for "shred events". The Cedar Point FCU has them occasionally, and it's free to anyone.

St. Marys will hold one in the fall.
The Department of Public Works & Transportation will be conducting the 12th annual community document shredding event to be held on Saturday, August 28, 2021 at the St. Andrews Landfill (44837 St. Andrews Church Road) from 8:00 to 12:00

It doesn't need to be pre-shredded, just bring the bags of documents.

Attachments

• 2021-Fall-Shred-Event.pdf
    231.4 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

stgislander

PREMO Member
I've been taken my shreds to the transfer station for years, but it's not commercial volumes, just one garbage bag every couple of weeks.

Keep an eye out for "shred events". The Cedar Point FCU has them occasionally, and it's free to anyone.

St. Marys will hold one in the fall.

It doesn't need to be pre-shredded, just bring the bags of documents.
I've put personal shredding in paper maket bags and taped them closed before. No mess as long as the bag stays closed.