Red Dot Shotgun Sights...

RatchetJaw

I have a BSA Red Dot RD30CP sight mounted to a Mossberg 500, does anybody like theses things? I don't care for it. I'd rather trade this thing to someone for an actual crosshair scope. I'm glad I kept the original package, this thing has got to go.

limblips

PREMO Member
I have a BSA Red Dot RD30CP sight mounted to a Mossberg 500, does anybody like theses things? I don't care for it. I'd rather trade this thing to someone for an actual crosshair scope. I'm glad I kept the original package, this thing has got to go.

I am with you. I had the same setup and absolutely hated it. I could never zero it properly. I went to a cantilevered slug barrel with a Leupold shotgun scope. Consistant 4 inch groups with sabot slugs.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"

I don't know anything about the BSA red dot, but red dots in general I am pretty familiar with on the AR system, what application are you using it for and do you have it mounted correctly? That is, is it mounted securely with the proper mounting adapter and at the correct height. And are you using the sight correctly?

If the answer to all of these is yes then it is probably a POS, I just see alot of people that mount red dots but aren't really sure how do use them or mount them correctly.

ETA- Well I just looked it up, it looks like a cheap piece of crap, but then again you get what you pay for, I would never expect a POS like that to perform on anything except a airsoft or airgun. Sorry.

Last edited:

RatchetJaw

I don't know anything about the BSA red dot, but red dots in general I am pretty familiar with on the AR system, what application are you using it for and do you have it mounted correctly? That is, is it mounted securely with the proper mounting adapter and at the correct height. And are you using the sight correctly?

If the answer to all of these is yes then it is probably a POS, I just see alot of people that mount red dots but aren't really sure how do use them or mount them correctly.

ETA- Well I just looked it up, it looks like a cheap piece of crap, but then again you get what you pay for, I would never expect a POS like that to perform on anything except a airsoft or airgun. Sorry.

LOL, yes, it is mounted properly and all that stuff. The issue is the silly little red light it's fuzzy in all light conditions, it's either too bright in evening hours or not bright enough in the day time. The red light does not line up properly if the gun is tilted in any direction other than dead on, with crosshairs you can hold a gun at an angle you are still pointed in the right spot, with a red dot, the angle is displaced, I've learned this already. I think the sight is a fine thing and not a POS, but, it's got to go to a new home, it's just not me. It's actually mounted on my wifes Mossberg 500 12 and it's great for shooting at paper and turkey targets, but, for what I want to do, not a chance in hell.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
LOL, yes, it is mounted properly and all that stuff. The issue is the silly little red light it's fuzzy in all light conditions, it's either too bright in evening hours or not bright enough in the day time. The red light does not line up properly if the gun is tilted in any direction other than dead on, with crosshairs you can hold a gun at an angle you are still pointed in the right spot, with a red dot, the angle is displaced, I've learned this already. I think the sight is a fine thing and not a POS, but, it's got to go to a new home, it's just not me. It's actually mounted on my wifes Mossberg 500 12 and it's great for shooting at paper and turkey targets, but, for what I want to do, not a chance in hell.

Well if that is the case, then it is a POS, a good red dot should be able to shoot on target from any angle even if the weapon system is canted. I know this is not you application but if you watch some of the videos from Mag-pul Dynamics, they use red dots on their weapons and as long as you have the correct sight picture it doesn't matter how much your weapon is canted the rounds hit the point of aim. In many drills they are shooting urban prone (laying on your side) or have to cant the rifle to get around a barricade.

Also it should have an intensity setting so you can change how bright the sight is depending on the exterior lighting conditions. On a hunting shotgun aren't red dots design to be used mostly for turkey hunting? That is the only thing I've ever seen them used for.

RatchetJaw

Well if that is the case, then it is a POS, a good red dot should be able to shoot on target from any angle even if the weapon system is canted. I know this is not you application but if you watch some of the videos from Mag-pul Dynamics, they use red dots on their weapons and as long as you have the correct sight picture it doesn't matter how much your weapon is canted the rounds hit the point of aim. In many drills they are shooting urban prone (laying on your side) or have to cant the rifle to get around a barricade.

Also it should have an intensity setting so you can change how bright the sight is depending on the exterior lighting conditions. On a hunting shotgun aren't red dots design to be used mostly for turkey hunting? That is the only thing I've ever seen them used for.

Yes it does have the 11 position setting for the brightness and the red dot is of no value to me for deer hunting purposes, I like to see what I'm shooting at in low light conditions, the red dot is just no good to me, If I turn the dot up brighter I can't see the deer, if I turn it down I can't see the dot, there is no happy medium with these things, and this not the first one I have played with in a hunting situation I had one on my .50 cal pistol, what a waste that was as well.

I guess it boils down to being use to something and the red dot is not what I want for what I need. I know so many other guys who have trashed the red dots for a crosshair reticle, now I know why. If the military / police are stuck with it by departmental purchase plans, then that's their problem, I don't have that issue, I can use what I want I guess.

Last edited:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
If the military / police are stuck with it by departmental purchase plans, then that's their problem, I don't have that issue, I can use what I want I guess.

LOL, Aimpoints and Eotechs aren't the two most popular sighting systems currently because of departmental purchase plans. They are quality sighting systems and really are perfect for law enforcement work and many of the situations that our military personel encounter in the two theatres we are deployed to. I understand that a red dot is not the best sight for you and your deer slug gun but a good red dot is perfect for quickly acquring targets that pop around corners holding Russian made long guns or whatever pistol the inner city thug is carrying these days.

The only cops I know that don't like em are the ones that have one of the cheaper C-more sights or the ones that don't know how to properly mount it, and sight it in.

Here is a piece from the "Art of The Tactical Carbine" , two of the most respected trainers in the law enforcement field talking about a quality red dot here at 1:13 YouTube - Magpul Dynamics - Special Features - Equipment Setup (Additional Footage)

RatchetJaw

ok, I guess I'll just stop beating this thread now. I am interested in hunting animals and you just want to take it in a human hunting direction, I see where it's going, so, we'll get back to this later. I have no interest in discussing military things, the military does not interest me, I'm here to talk about animal hunting.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
ok, I guess I'll just stop beating this thread now. I am interested in hunting animals and you just want to take it in a human hunting direction, I see where it's going, so, we'll get back to this later. I have no interest in discussing military things, the military does not interest me, I'm here to talk about animal hunting.

That is fine, but a little history on red dot holographic sights. Military and Police stole the idea from the hunting community, these sites were first developed to hunt animals. I agree about it not being the best sight on a deer rifle/shotgun. I use a 4 power scope on my slug gun, my main argument here is that there is a useful application for red dots in general and I had to respond to your police and military comment because it was a misrepresentation of the general feeling of these sights from those two communities.