Red Ear Slidder Turtle Sick

HappyMom0328

My son has 2 red ear slidder turtles that he has had for almost a year that his father gave him. They have always been really cool pets with no issues. However, in the last couple of weeks I noticed a lump around his right ear that has gotten considerable larger. I did some research online and it looks like he may have an ear abcsess. I called the vet who then referred me to the vet for turtles and its 62.00 just to be looked at and then whatever else it is to fix the issue. I can not afford to pay that at this time since I am a single mother and have back to school costs as well as regular bills/medical bills.
I'm sure some may say that I should not have a pet that I can not take care of however this is not something I did on my own and my son would have been heartbroken if i did not allow him to keep his fathers gifts. I've asked his dad to pay for the vet cost and he refuses.

So what should I do? Is there something I can get at the pet store to correct this issue? Is there a vet that is low cost for these kinds of things? Please help! My son is so upset and I want so badly to fix this so his pet turtle is ok.

dontknowwhy

ahhh!!! a mother's desire to so badly fix this...

1) do like my ex did & blame me for everything she couldnt fix

2) take the turtle with you to the pet store & replace it with one that closest resembles your sons

3) give junior a crash course in life & death

Roman

My son has 2 red ear slidder turtles that he has had for almost a year that his father gave him. They have always been really cool pets with no issues. However, in the last couple of weeks I noticed a lump around his right ear that has gotten considerable larger. I did some research online and it looks like he may have an ear abcsess. I called the vet who then referred me to the vet for turtles and its 62.00 just to be looked at and then whatever else it is to fix the issue. I can not afford to pay that at this time since I am a single mother and have back to school costs as well as regular bills/medical bills.
I'm sure some may say that I should not have a pet that I can not take care of however this is not something I did on my own and my son would have been heartbroken if i did not allow him to keep his fathers gifts. I've asked his dad to pay for the vet cost and he refuses.

So what should I do? Is there something I can get at the pet store to correct this issue? Is there a vet that is low cost for these kinds of things? Please help! My son is so upset and I want so badly to fix this so his pet turtle is ok.
If the turtle is not acting sick, just keep an eye on him, or just take him to a pond off the road to let him go. depending on the age of your Son, just tell him you are letting him go so he can see his Turtle Doctor, then..get him another one. We had a turtle that needed antibiotic injections for about a week, and he did well for the next 22 years. Good luck. You might want to check with the recomended Vet, to see if they would take payments.

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
If the turtle is not acting sick, just keep an eye on him, or just take him to a pond off the road to let him go. depending on the age of your Son, just tell him you are letting him go so he can see his Turtle Doctor, then..get him another one. We had a turtle that needed antibiotic injections for about a week, and he did well for the next 22 years. Good luck. You might want to check with the recomended Vet, to see if they would take payments.

Please do not release a sick captive turtle. Take him to Corner Critters and show them. They will most likely have some sulfa dip and can tell you how to treat your turtle. I would separate the sick one from the healthy one for the time being. Good luck.

Roman

Please do not release a sick captive turtle. Take him to Corner Critters and show them. They will most likely have some sulfa dip and can tell you how to treat your turtle. I would separate the sick one from the healthy one for the time being. Good luck.
You are right! I wasn't thinking. Keep in mind though..that Corner Critters is not an Animal Hospital. One of the Owner's Wives is a Vet, but I don't thinks she's in to Aquatic Pets.