Redskins 5 games in...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...OK, so, the question was asked this AM on the radio;

"...at 2-3 after 5 games, are the Redskins in better shape than you thought, worse or about where you expected in the pre-season?"

I say they are where I thought they'd be, about .500 but for totally different reasons than I had at the time.

Hearing that the O line was looking good and that the D line very well might be really good, plus another year under Robert's belt, the McCluen factor of us supposedly being in better shape across the board, including depth, plus Gruden and company having another year under their belt, I was thinking 8-8 and maybe better if it all came together.

That said, the ONE thing the Redskins HAD to do this year was settle the RGIII question and that meant him having this full season to either do well, play his way all the way OUT of the conversation OR get hurt, again, and thus have two shots, poor play and injury, to be done with this nightmare.

So, 2-3 with Robert was a safe bet but 2-3 with Kirk is a ENTIRELY different proposition. 1, I never expected Gruden would be allowed to bench The Chosen One. Two, the Skins could be 4-1 right now. They could have beaten Miami and should have beaten Atlanta. They should have beat the Eagles and did and should heave beat the Rams and did. They had 1 game with no chance, the Giants. That ain't bad as preseason, with Robert, 1-4 was not out of the question.

So, they are about where I expected record wise but the upside seems like they COULD be battling to the end for the division IF Kirk keeps improving. He pretty much HAS to play WELL the rest of the season or RGIII creeps back into the equation. Worst of all worlds is Cousins plays up and down and maybe gets banged up and is out for a few games, Robert comes in, plays great, opening up the whole can of worms again.

:jameo:

Grumpy

Put RG3 on the street now, he's a dead end road. I don't care what their record is now or at the end of the season, you have to end the temptation of going back to him. He is not a pro qb and will not stay healthy, quit wasting time.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Put RG3 on the street now, he's a dead end road. I don't care what their record is now or at the end of the season, you have to end the temptation of going back to him. He is not a pro qb and will not stay healthy, quit wasting time.

That's what I don't get. Him being around is NOTHING but the potential to have to re-live it all again. I mean, I 'get it' because it's Snyder. He's still holding out hope that this is going to un-make him look like a meddling owner who makes one big mistake after another. But, for team morale, man, to continue to let the thing hang over the team, man, Redskins football, huh?

Pete

Repete
That's what I don't get. Him being around is NOTHING but the potential to have to re-live it all again. I mean, I 'get it' because it's Snyder. He's still holding out hope that this is going to un-make him look like a meddling owner who makes one big mistake after another. But, for team morale, man, to continue to let the thing hang over the team, man, Redskins football, huh?

Don't you think it is telling that he is not even on the active roster and dressing? I think that if Cousins goes down its the McCoy show. RG3 wont take another snap as a Redskin. the only question with him is how do they rid themselves of him and his contract. I bet the shine is gone for Snyder even now that they are winning a couple and competitive in the rest. If Cousins could just stop throwing 2 picks a game it would be great.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Gruden and/or McVey will not let KC attempt to stretch the field, that's why the run game has been non existent the last couple of games. Everyone knows that a bubble screen, or 5 yard out is coming, so why play deep? Let the opposing DEF pin their ears back and have at it. What I do not get is what I see as a lack of trust between the play callers and the play makers. Crowder is as fast, some say faster than DJax. Let him prove it. I'm not talking about breaking some little hitch pattern for 20+, put that bitch in the air for 20+. Rashad Ross, is another fast cat that runs his patterns the way you are supposed to.

Gruden said today that the bubble screen on 3rd and goal after the Breeland INT was the worst call of the game on Sunday. Yes, Kirk does need to play better although the INTs (vs ATL)I give him 75% blame on 1 and ZERO blame on the one in OT. Defense looks much better although they allowed ATL to convert a 4th&5, a 4th&6, and a 4th&2. Stop them ONCE and we are 3-2. Don't attempt the 2 pt conversion, we are 3-2. I still avert my eyes when the special teams takes the field, a constant work in progress, paging Danny Smith!

Convert RGIII to a WR or CB or convert him to a free agent. We can chalk it up as another Washington Heisman bust. Losing Paulsen and Niles Paul has really hurt this team this season, it's not a matter of if Reed misses a game it's a matter of how many will he miss. DJax has two jobs, run fast and catch the ball. He misses pre season and he pulls a hammy. Coincidence? I think not.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Don't you think it is telling that he is not even on the active roster and dressing? I think that if Cousins goes down its the McCoy show. RG3 wont take another snap as a Redskin. the only question with him is how do they rid themselves of him and his contract. I bet the shine is gone for Snyder even now that they are winning a couple and competitive in the rest. If Cousins could just stop throwing 2 picks a game it would be great.

I guess I'm glad to have not noticed if he's suited up or not. :stupid:

I find your optimism that Snyder is done playing Mr. Football rather...optimistic. :evil:

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
Everything I've read suggests Jay Gruden is on his way out. Gruden's probably not the only one. Chuck Pagano (Indianapolis), Jeff Fisher (St. Louis), Ken Whisenhunt (Tennessee), Gus Bradley (Jacksonville) and Jason Garrett (Dallas) are probably sitting on hot seats too. Maybe Chip Kelly (Philadelphia) as well.

DipStick

I think that if Cousins goes down its the McCoy show.

McCoy was good in the games I saw him in. Y'all would be better off with him if Cousins gets hurt.

Some quarterback-needy team will get desperate and make a trade for Griffin. After all, Jacksonville was able to get a sixth rounder from San Francisco for Blaine Gabbert who is exponentially worse than RGIII. And St. Louis managed to chuck off the injury prone Sam Bradford to Philadelphia.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Some quarterback-needy team will get desperate and make a trade for Griffin. After all, Jacksonville was able to get a sixth rounder from San Francisco for Blaine Gabbert who is exponentially worse than RGIII. And St. Louis managed to chuck off the injury prone Sam Bradford to Philadelphia.

No, they won't. Griff had a CHANCE at a career as an NFL QB if he'd gone to a team that was serious about using him as a player, giving him time, instead of a promotional tool. As is, he's severally damaged. There is NOTHING to base getting him on. 2012 was a fluke. He reads slow, he reacts wrong, he can't protect himself and he does not have any innate QB talent that is far enough above average to warrant the clear and present risk of him getting hurt leaving the huddle.

As is, there are a bunch of Cousins/McCoys/Gabberts/Bradfords/so on and so on and so on who are BETTER quarterbacks, however middling they may be, and BETTER risks in terms of injury and chemistry; those guys KNOW they are journeymen and aren't walking around putting off the "I'm a TOP qb' aura.

Sad but that is what it is.

DipStick

No, they won't. Griff had a CHANCE at a career as an NFL QB if he'd gone to a team that was serious about using him as a player, giving him time, instead of a promotional tool. As is, he's severally damaged. There is NOTHING to base getting him on. 2012 was a fluke. He reads slow, he reacts wrong, he can't protect himself and he does not have any innate QB talent that is far enough above average to warrant the clear and present risk of him getting hurt leaving the huddle.

As is, there are a bunch of Cousins/McCoys/Gabberts/Bradfords/so on and so on and so on who are BETTER quarterbacks, however middling they may be, and BETTER risks in terms of injury and chemistry; those guys KNOW they are journeymen and aren't walking around putting off the "I'm a TOP qb' aura.

Sad but that is what it is.

Snottie is desperate for a franchise quarterback. Before Griffin, it was Donovan McNabb. Before McNabb, it was Jason Cambell. Before that, it was a past-his-prime Mark Brunell.

Cousins and McCoy are both damn good quarterbacks but they need wide receivers around them, and productive running backs.

Alfred Morris was non-existent last year. Ask my fantasy football stats how I know that. :jet:

Who are the Redskins' receivers now? Pierre Garcon and DeSean Jackson? What have either of them done this year? Because I haven't seen them on Red Zone Channel.

Daniel Snyder couldn't buy a clue. He wants big names. He wants a franchise quarterback. He wants someone that sells jerseys. You know what sells jerseys, Snottie? Good players on a good team.

Difference between him and Jerry Jones. Jones let his all-star running back Demarco Murray walk because he knew he had a beast offensive line and any running back would be productive in that offense. ####, the Cowboys are still a good team without Tony Romo and Dez Bryant. And that's because Jerry Jones built a "complete" team. Something Snottie will never do with the Redskins.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Lots of QBs show early promise and fade in a few years. Here we had Pat Ramsey & Jason Campbell. The list of coudla been a contender is long. Brady Quinn, Gabbart, Russel, Locker, Weeden, McCoy, etc.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Lots of QBs show early promise and fade in a few years. Here we had Pat Ramsey & Jason Campbell. The list of coudla been a contender is long. Brady Quinn, Gabbart, Russel, Locker, Weeden, McCoy, etc.

Which one, I forget, did we trade 3 #1's and a 2 for? :lol:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Which one, I forget, did we trade 3 #1's and a 2 for? :lol:

I don't recall. I remember when Heath Shuler was going to take us to the promised land. He got beat out by Gus who was selected in the 854th round.

DipStick

Gabbert never showed any promise in Jacksonville. And wasn't that good in college. Just another example of Jacksonville stupidity.

Jason Campbell was alright in Washington, but only alright. Once again, you need a team around you. Not every quarterback is going to be superhuman like Tom Brady. Truth be told, Russell Wilson isn't even that good. And the brand new anointed one, Andrew Luck, isn't even that damn good. Literally the only reason the Colts make the playoffs is because the AFC South is a weak division.