Redskins give...

BuddyLee

Football addict
<TABLE cellSpacing=16 cellPadding=0 width=591 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=black vAlign=top align=left width=559>Redskins star visits ailing Jefferson man
Originally published October 04, 2008

By Ron Cassie
News-Post Staff

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=storyblack vAlign=top align=left width=559><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=260 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=9></TD>
</I><TD vAlign=top align=middle width=252></TD>
</TR><TR><TD width=9></TD><TD class=blacksm vAlign=top align=left width=252>

</TD></TR><TR height=15><TD width=9 height=15></TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=252 height=15></TD></TR><TR height=250><TD width=9 height=250></TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width=252 height=250></TD></TR>
<TR height=10><TD width=9 height=10></TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width=252 height=10></TD></TR>
</TBODY></TABLE>"Dear Mr. Cooley, I am writing this letter to tell you about my co-worker, Kathy Frazier, and her husband, Ron," began Jeanne Durkin's e-mail to Redskins star tight end Chris Cooley. "Kathy and Ron have been lifetime, loyal fans of the Washington Redskins since the team played in Griffith Stadium. They have been season ticket holders since 1991."

Ron, however, has not been able to attend any games this fall. The 52-year-old federal employee was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer two years ago.

"After a final 'Hail Mary pass' treatment in the summer, Ron has rapidly deteriorated," continued Durkin, who wrote the note unbeknownst to her colleague. "I am hoping the team will give Ron and Kathy one more joyful memory."

When the Redskins called back two hours after receiving her e-mail, Durkin informed Kathy that the team was trying to figure out a way for her husband to meet the 6-foot 3-inch, 255-pound Cooley.

"I didn't believe her," Kathy said. "I asked her if she had it in writing. She said, 'No, but I have a phone number.' I've been on pins and needles all week. When I told Ron it brought a smile to his face for the first time in days."

The Redskins asked if it was possible for Ron to visit the team for a practice, but he is no longer able to travel. Instead, Cooley drove to Jefferson from Virginia on Friday after practice to meet the Fraziers. Two dozen friends, family members and neighbors were there. When the neighborhood children heard what was happening, they ran over, too.

Cooley posed for dozens of pictures and autographed everything in sight: footballs; posters; pennants; photos; hats -- and, of course, a whole bunch of No. 47 jerseys. He stayed for nearly an hour, answering inside football questions, making small talk and discussing new coach Jim Zorn.

"What were the games like at RFK stadium?" Cooley asked Ron. "From what I've heard, I wish I was a part of the Redskins back then."

"Oh, man, you could feel the stands rocking at the place," he responded.
Cooley shared stories about his teammates and predicted they would do well against the Eagles this weekend.

He also queried about local fishing spots. Ron and his son, Russell, returning from college Thursday for Cooley's visit, enjoy fishing on the Potomac.

"I can't really put it (into) words what this means," Russell said of the visit. 'It means everything right now."

Cooley promised to send Ron a keepsake football if he scored a touchdown Sunday. He also talked about his mother, who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and has undergone radiation and chemotherapy.

"She's doing OK. I've gone with her to treatment a few times," Cooley said. "It's not fun."

Kathy and her husband both grew up in Prince Georges County as Redskins fans, watching Sonny Jurgensen, Billy Kilmer and Charlie Taylor. He graduated from Parkdale High School in Greenbelt in 1974 and she graduated a year later from nearby DuVal High School.

They start dating in 1984 -- in the middle of the Joe Gibbs-era heyday -- watching Redskins games together. They married soon after and in 1991 bought season tickets. They've been attending games with a group of friends ever since, tailgating together for the past 17 seasons.

"Section 141, row 12," Kathy said. "Ron and I sit in seat 9 and 10. The Redskins side, 35-yard line."

Kathy Frazier said she and her husband went to all the games last season and hoped to get to at least one this year, but haven't been able because of the illness.

"Knowing they (beat) Dallas last week, that made him glad. This however, is something else," she said.
The visit was a bright spot for Ron. "It was more fun than I ever thought it would be; he stayed a long time with all these people that were here," he said. "It was really good. It was great -- awesome."

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The Frederick News-Post Online - Frederick County Maryland Daily Newspaper

BuddyLee

Football addict
Redskins' Jason Campbell Comes Through for a Lifelong Fan

By Marc Fisher
Sunday, September 28, 2008; Page C01

Antoinette "Pinky" Berry fought hard, but as she drifted into her final days, she had very little left. In bed at Washington Hospital Center's Cancer Institute, surrounded by family and friends, she had stopped eating, wasn't much for talking and showed little of the spirit that made her so popular in the Oxon Hill Safeway's bakery department.

Making her hospital rounds one day this month, Vera Oye Yaa-Anna, a storyteller who offers patients encouragement and perhaps a song, instantly recognized Berry from Safeway.

"Seeing Pinky in her terminal state was devastating," Oye says. Trying to hide her emotions, Oye edged toward the door. On the way out, she noticed that Berry was covered with a homemade Washington Redskins blanket.

Are the Redskins your team? Oye asked, and the drawn face lit up. Have you been to a game? Would you want to go?

"No," Berry replied weakly. But she did have one request.

"Jason Campbell," she said. The patient wanted to see or talk to the team's quarterback.

"That was a request I couldn't do anything about," Oye says. So she said farewell and slipped away. "I thought, 'I'm never going back to that room; I cannot help her.' " But Oye couldn't get Berry's sorrow out of her mind. She sat down and, knowing no one in the Redskins organization, sent an e-mail to the generic mailbox on the team's Web site.

The Skins' online operation passed the e-mail to B.J. Corriveau, the team's vice president for community relations. Within 30 minutes, Corriveau was on the phone with Oye: Good news: Campbell wanted to make the call.

The next day, says Tina Carter, one of Berry's younger siblings, "my sister was so excited that she sat up in bed and put on her wig -- she'd lost her hair from the cancer treatments -- and put on her makeup, too. For a phone call!"

At the appointed hour, Campbell called and spoke to Berry for 10 minutes, about the team and her lifelong devotion to all things Redskins, about her spirits, about the need to keep on keeping on.

"I was just trying to make her feel real important," says Campbell, the 26-year-old quarterback. "Cheer her up, thank her for being such a big fan. A story like this really gets your heart. If you can encourage them even a little bit, you have to try."

After he finished with Berry, to the shock of everyone in the hospital room, Campbell asked to speak to each relative and friend who was visiting. They passed the phone around, each hearing the quarterback tell them "to support her all the way. Let God do the worrying for you. She's in God's hands."
<!-- sphereit end -->

washingtonpost.com

PsyOps

Pixelated
Just a small correction... Parkdale is in Riverdale MD not Greenbelt. I went there. It was an awesome school back in my day but has since become a cesspool.

I always knew Cooley was a class act. You can tell by the way he conducts himself on the field. He is also my favorite Redskin of today.

Great story Buddy! :buddies: