Rejected Beatles audition tape discovered

TNRabbit

Rejected Beatles audition tape discovered

The Beatles' audition tape famously rejected by a record executive in 1962 has finally been uncovered after 50 years.

The original safety master tape, a 10-track demo the group recorded at Decca's London studios on New Year's Day 1962, has come to public light for the first time. The recording has never been officially released and the sound quality on it is said to be pristine.
The band failed to impress Decca executive Dick Rowe who turned them down, believing 'guitar groups are on the way out.'

The 10 tracks on the 12 inch audio tape include Money (That's What I Want), Like Dreamers Do, Take Good Care of my Baby, Three Cool Cats, Love of the Loved, Memphis and Crying Waiting Hoping.

Instead of the Beatles, Decca Records signed up the Tremeloes, who auditioned the same day.

There is also a photo negative of Paul McCartney, John Lennon, George Harrison and Pete Best that they took with them to the audition and would have been used as the album cover had they won the contract.

beatles_2406448b.jpg

mamatutu

mama to two
I don't even remember the Tremeloes! I guess Mr. Rowe kicked himself in the butt the rest of his life!

Love The Beatles! :yahoo:

BOP

I don't even remember the Tremeloes! I guess Mr. Rowe kicked himself in the butt the rest of his life!

Love The Beatles! :yahoo:

The Beatles, from roughly the same time period:

I think this was their first commercial hit:

mamatutu

mama to two

The Beatles, from roughly the same time period:

I think this was their first commercial hit:

Wow! Know the Tremeloe songs, but didn't remember their name. Thanks for the history trivia of the day, and earworm. "Silence is golden, golden...lalala!!!:smile: