rejection of foal... help

ElliesMom

anyone out there. neighbors mare foaled a colt this morning and I fear she is rejecting him everytime he goes to nurse she walks away. Gonna go help hold her and see if we can get hiim latched on.

Now what, how to be sure....

I have goat replacer on hand and will ahve to find milk replacer if so.

let me know....

Its Lucinda from SMTR.

if you have my cell I am in the barn, otherwise be back in a few.

His name is Noel!

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Put the mare in a stall if she still is moving away not kicking at the baby all should be ok...quit messing with them...if the mare is kicky tie her in the stall and hobble her...if the baby does not get the colostrum you need to get it from the vet (expensive) again if she is not being mean to the baby all should be ok

ElliesMom

awesome, already stalled, we 'look in' operative word being look. Hes so damn cute!! All she needed was to be loved while he did his thing. Nervous first mommy.

thanks Paso, was reading all kinds of scary crap on the internet and scaring the crap out of myself.

Nice to know a been there done that is there/ here to kill the paranoid.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
awesome, already stalled, we 'look in' operative word being look. Hes so damn cute!! All she needed was to be loved while he did his thing. Nervous first mommy.

thanks Paso, was reading all kinds of scary crap on the internet and scaring the crap out of myself.

Just got home...glad all is ok...let them bond...keep in touch if you need help let me know..

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!

Would be a good idea to have the vet out to run an IGG on him...like paso said, may not have received colostrum, and for $150 vet call you can tell before the foal become sick and know if you need to boost the immune system. Post pics!:dye:

ElliesMom

My goodness I am sitting at 3 peeps houses as well as my own! One had a nail is on antibiotics, this one was born and one of my own attempted to colic on me. I have been busy. Going out now. Hopefully tonight.

C

campinmutt

you can brush the mom and then brush the baby,,helps mom smell herself on the baby.may help to bond. to help mare stand still you can tie one front leg up ,throw rope over her back so she will stand and not try to kick the baby...test antibodies..to be sure the baby will not become septic...good luck !!

ElliesMom

oh the little bugger is a wild one. He escaped the stall yesterday, guess they are ready to be out!

This little man is great! Now its halter on and off time.

ElliesMom

yeah, she wasnt too sure what he was up to back there at first, but a couple treats and lots of ear scratches and she settled right into nursing, you could see it in her eyes when she figured out that "thats what that little thing was doing, and oh man, makes me feel better too!" she got a glazed over content look!:yahoo:

now little Noel is up being a good boy.