Religion and Relationship

forever jewel

Green Eyed Lady
I couldn't decide which forum to put this under (religion or Dating and Marriage), so I flipped a coin...

Anyway, out of curiousity, how important is religion to you in a relationship? Would you date someone despite differences in religious beliefs? :popcorn:

smoothmarine187

I woundn't marry a Jehova's witness or a Jewish person if they had strong religious beliefs....but if they were like me and were not strong into religion....then it wouldn't matter.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Actually, I find religious differences intriguing. I am more than open to hearing about and even experiencing another person's religion. However, there is a caveat, that person has to be open minded about mine as well.

forever jewel

Green Eyed Lady
migtig said:
Actually, I find religious differences intriguing. I am more than open to hearing about and even experiencing another person's religion. However, there is a caveat, that person has to be open minded about mine as well.

I completely agree. :yay: By experiencing another's religion, you can understand and possibly appreciate their religious views.

SamSpade

I guess it has a lot to do with how important religion is to at least one of the two people. Twenty years ago, there was zero chance I'd date someone outside my religion - it was already so much a part of every single day of my life, and I sure wasn't going to give any of it up should a conflict arise. And it was rather easy to date INSIDE my religion, as it was a church of mostly singles in their 20's and 30's, and membership was in the thousands.

After I left - I didn't think it would be important. But I didn't consider how important religion would be to the other person in a relationship. Occasionally it would arise with the woman I was dating, and again, it produced conflict. Sometimes it was just frustrating to date someone who didn't appear religious but had nearly fanatical belief in something I couldn't agree on.

My wife and I attend the same church - but that by no means indicates we're always or even often on the same page as far as religion goes. Most of the time, she holds a very pragmatic view of life and religion, which probably suits me well, since in spiritual things, I'm not always that way. I'm a big "why" person.

Oddly enough - I think social issues and politics in my life trump any beliefs and religion. I once dated a woman who more or less agreed with me on just about every major Christian doctrine - but on social issues, we were practically mortal enemies!

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
Much to my family's dismay, it's irrelevant to me. Though I would love to trade in the vocal, preaching atheist for a non-vocal, non-preaching version.

Of course, now that I have a little one, I'm starting to re-think my views and what I'm willing to accept. I won't force religion on her, but I do want her to have a choice. Unfortunately, as much as her mother claims to want the same, she doesn't give any of her children that option and actively discourages any and all religion.

Chain729

SamSpade said:
Most of the time, she holds a very pragmatic view of life and religion, which probably suits me well, since in spiritual things, I'm not always that way. I'm a big "why" person.

Psst. You might want to clarify that. "Why" is a cornerstone of pragmatism.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
When I was 7, my mom met her husband to be. So here she is, a 25 yo divorced single mother, here comes dad, a 28 yo never married catholic. Who knew it would last 40 plus years of wedded bliss. My mom was no more Catholic than I am. But after she married, she did the no meat on Friday thing and whatever else was expected of her. Remember this was the 60's.

leslie3977

I'm not really a religious person at all. My father was a preacher so I got to see two sides to this one man. The one side up at the pulpit on Sunday mornings preaching the word and the other side cussing at his kids on Sunday afternoons.
When I was with my X he had a huge problem with it. Not that he was really religious or a righteous man or anything just didn't like that I refused to have anything to do with religion. Well, needless to say it didn't last.
When I met my current boyfriend and he asked me out I think I told him even before our first date what my views were. That way we could talk about it and know if there'd be a problem.
Luckily for me he's as much of a sinner! :lmao:

SamSpade

Chain729 said:
Psst. You might want to clarify that. "Why" is a cornerstone of pragmatism.

Maybe we differ on how 'pragmatic' applies. It's the best way for me to describe the sentiment behind "how does that work" contrasted with "why do you give a crap?".

For example, Christianity might say "Jesus died for our sins" and my wife might say "Good enough for me" - but I might go "yeah, but WHY? why did he have to die? isn't God powerful enough that he doesn't have to follow some higher 'rule'?". Are we saved by faith? Works? Faith THROUGH works? Or works as a result of faith? My wife is pragmatic - just do it.

I've always viewed the simple faith of Abraham to be such a faith. He "trusted God, and it was counted to him as righteousness".

You might drive a car trusting it will work; I have to take it apart. You might enjoy a magician doing tricks or a sci-fi movie breaking all the rules of science - but I have to know how it's done, or pick apart the bad science.

SamSpade

Chain729 said:
Unfortunately, as much as her mother claims to want the same, she doesn't give any of her children that option and actively discourages any and all religion.

Years ago, a friend showed me a book by Bertrand Russell entitled "Why I Am Not a Christian". He and I both agreed it should have been titled "Why I Am Not a Catholic". He was an absolutely brilliant mathematician, but his understanding of Christian doctrine was poor. It's a frequent trap of highly intelligent people; they think if they're brilliant in one area, it extends to everything.

I used to frequent a religion board which, over time, had actually become an atheist board. Most of the posters were decidedly against religion but what really became obvious is that they all vigorously hated *Christianity* and especially, fundamentalist self-righteous Bible thumpers. No matter how I discussed matters with them, theological arguments usually gave ground to charges of hypocrisy, self-righteousness, bigotry, hatred and so on.

It was clearly evident they all shared negative experiences at the hands of such people, either directly or indirectly. They NEVER had anything to say about Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Confucianism or any of dozens of other religions, except to lump them all together every time they got p!ssed off. Thread after thread dealt with Robertson, Falwell, Southern Baptists, Catholics - never a word about Quakers or Unitarians or Mennonites or what have you. If they assailed Catholics, it was the Pope or the Inquisition or the Crusades - never a word against Mother Theresa and the like.

I guess what I'm leading to is that in my experience, when people have such animosity towards "religion", it's usually a personal issue with unresolved anger. Change the subject at hand and a few stereotypes, and it could sound like raging bigotry. When people rant against religion as violent, I might ask them about violent terrorist Buddhists or Quakers.

What's strange is although I spent close to ten years in a fundamentalist cult, I've also never met people more kind, gentle or generous than among religious persons. Every group has its pompous jerks - you don't even need to be religious to have that. But my experience with religious persons has been mostly favorable. I guess I've seen a lot of sides to it. In the final analysis, it's hard to fault "religion" when people are claiming to be religious but not actually doing it.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
rack'm said:
It depends on how different their views are.
:yeahthat: I won't sacrifice my views and beliefs for another person, and I wouldn't expect anyone to do the same for me, so it stands to reason that I'd choose to be in a relationship with someone that shared my views. Luckily I don't have to worry about that. :lol:

Chain729

SamSpade said:
Maybe we differ on how 'pragmatic' applies. It's the best way for me to describe the sentiment behind "how does that work" contrasted with "why do you give a crap?".

For example, Christianity might say "Jesus died for our sins" and my wife might say "Good enough for me" - but I might go "yeah, but WHY? why did he have to die? isn't God powerful enough that he doesn't have to follow some higher 'rule'?". Are we saved by faith? Works? Faith THROUGH works? Or works as a result of faith? My wife is pragmatic - just do it.

I've always viewed the simple faith of Abraham to be such a faith. He "trusted God, and it was counted to him as righteousness".

You might drive a car trusting it will work; I have to take it apart. You might enjoy a magician doing tricks or a sci-fi movie breaking all the rules of science - but I have to know how it's done, or pick apart the bad science.

Understood. Personally, I would consider both pragmatic. What differs, from what I see, is the level of understanding required to consider "it" to work or be true.

Chain729

SamSpade said:
Years ago, a friend showed me a book by Bertrand Russell entitled "Why I Am Not a Christian". He and I both agreed it should have been titled "Why I Am Not a Catholic". He was an absolutely brilliant mathematician, but his understanding of Christian doctrine was poor. It's a frequent trap of highly intelligent people; they think if they're brilliant in one area, it extends to everything.

I used to frequent a religion board which, over time, had actually become an atheist board. Most of the posters were decidedly against religion but what really became obvious is that they all vigorously hated *Christianity* and especially, fundamentalist self-righteous Bible thumpers. No matter how I discussed matters with them, theological arguments usually gave ground to charges of hypocrisy, self-righteousness, bigotry, hatred and so on.

It was clearly evident they all shared negative experiences at the hands of such people, either directly or indirectly. They NEVER had anything to say about Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Confucianism or any of dozens of other religions, except to lump them all together every time they got p!ssed off. Thread after thread dealt with Robertson, Falwell, Southern Baptists, Catholics - never a word about Quakers or Unitarians or Mennonites or what have you. If they assailed Catholics, it was the Pope or the Inquisition or the Crusades - never a word against Mother Theresa and the like.

I guess what I'm leading to is that in my experience, when people have such animosity towards "religion", it's usually a personal issue with unresolved anger. Change the subject at hand and a few stereotypes, and it could sound like raging bigotry. When people rant against religion as violent, I might ask them about violent terrorist Buddhists or Quakers.

What's strange is although I spent close to ten years in a fundamentalist cult, I've also never met people more kind, gentle or generous than among religious persons. Every group has its pompous jerks - you don't even need to be religious to have that. But my experience with religious persons has been mostly favorable. I guess I've seen a lot of sides to it. In the final analysis, it's hard to fault "religion" when people are claiming to be religious but not actually doing it.

I've seen all of that- regarding the actions and temperments of the two sides in question. However, the GF's response isn't nearly as evolved. When questioned, her answer comes down to: "It's BS and that's the end of it."

Though she's never been harmed by someone of my faith, she hates it non-the-less. She just about went into convulsions when I suggested that our daughter have a naming ceremony.

ashliekay711

forever jewel said:
I couldn't decide which forum to put this under (religion or Dating and Marriage), so I flipped a coin...

Anyway, out of curiousity, how important is religion to you in a relationship? Would you date someone despite differences in religious beliefs? :popcorn:

well i don't have a religion so it doesn't really matter to me, but i don't think i could deal with a jehovus witness or however you spell it... well i would like to keep christmas too, so that would be a big deal too... so i guess it would matter to a certain extent