Remembering Eva Cassidy

PsyOps

Pixelated
I think there was a tribute posted about Eva several years ago. I had mentioned that, back in the early 80s she played with a band called "Stonehenge". Ned Judy was their pianist and Larry Melton was their bassist. I was blessed to have played with those two while attending PGCC. I got a chance to meet Eva at that time. I remember her being kind of a quiet girl, until she sang of course.

It's really a shame her fame came after her death.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I think there was a tribute posted about Eva several years ago. I had mentioned that, back in the early 80s she played with a band called "Stonehenge". Ned Judy was their pianist and Larry Melton was their bassist. I was blessed to have played with those two while attending PGCC. I got a chance to meet Eva at that time. I remember her being kind of a quiet girl, until she sang of course.

It's really a shame her fame came after her death.

My sister is a singer and same deal, shy until they get on stage and you wonder where that person came from.

Eva was well known in many other countries but her death made her more popular in America. She had an absolutely beautiful voice.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I'll be watching this. :yay:

Eva Cassidy’s performance at the Blues Alley jazz club has become musical history. Exactly 25 years on, Sunday 3rd January 2021, we commemorate the event with a brand new documentary Eva Cassidy – ONE NIGHT THAT CHANGED EVERYTHING premiering on YouTube at 9pm Paris, 8pm London, 3pm New York, midday Los Angeles.

Set a reminder now by clicking the watch page URL: https://youtu.be/XEqzTlZdfSo

More about the new documentary:
25 years ago, a little known singer, Eva Cassidy, and her producer scraped together enough money to record a gig and self-produce an album. This is the story of one night – 3rd January 1996 - at a jazz club in Georgetown, Washington D.C., a set of recordings that almost never happened, and the extraordinary success that followed told by her band members who played with her that night. No one could have imagined that the audio and video recordings from that night would prove to be the foundation of her unparalleled posthumous worldwide success.

Eva Cassidy - Posts | Facebook

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I set the suggested reminder;

This one is in my top 3, if not #1 of all her recordings;

(110) Eva Cassidy - Nightbird - YouTube

I am so glad she decided college wasn't for her, left and recorded music.
Hope you got a chance to watch it. Excellent program and I must admit I shed a few tears. Very interesting insights on her and how she viewed the gift she had. I was a little disappointed my favorite song of hers recorded at Blues Alley wasn't featured.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Hope you got a chance to watch it. Excellent program and I must admit I shed a few tears. Very interesting insights on her and how she viewed the gift she had. I was a little disappointed my favorite song of hers recorded at Blues Alley wasn't featured.

I did and really enjoyed it. I learned an awful lot I didn't know about her after all these years. Much more expansive than wiki and there were 2 songs she sang that I had never seen the actual footage of - so that was nice!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I did and really enjoyed it. I learned an awful lot I didn't know about her after all these years. Much more expansive than wiki and there were 2 songs she sang that I had never seen the actual footage of - so that was nice!
I've been to Blues Alley a few times and it was nice seeing her performance there.

This is another documentary on her done in 2014 and with a different focus - more on the business of music. Mick Fleetwood is one they interviewed so that's kind of fascinating. But be warned - it has embedded ads that pop in every five minutes or so.

frequentflier

happy to be living
My older model Terrain has a DVR player and I have recorded a lot of my favorite music to play when I am tired of the radio. I find that, despite there being over 200 songs on it, it plays about 25 songs over and over. Right after this thread started, it started playing others including Eva Cassidy. Music to my ears!