Remembering the great toilet paper shortage...

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
of 1973! :jameo:

Here's what happened back in December of 1973: "A congressman from Wisconsin, Harold Froehlich, releases a statement saying, 'The next thing we're gonna have to worry about is a potential toilet paper shortage,'" Gersten said.

The warning was picked up by late night king Johnny Carson's writers, who left out the "potential" part. As Carson said during his "Tonight Show" monologue on Dec. 19, 1973:

On Dec. 19, 1973, Johnny Carson quipped about a toilet paper shortage, triggering panic-buying across America. "There is an acute shortage of toilet paper in the good old United States. We gotta quit writing on it!"

The false alarm sent Carson's audience of almost 20 million running. As noted in "The Great Toilet Paper Scare," one woman said, "I'm used to being able to go when I want to, when I want to, but suddenly I think I'm going to have to start curbing my habits."

Gersten said, "People all over the country stormed supermarkets, grabbed as much toilet paper as they possibly could."

Toxick

Splat
In 20-25 years, there will be a nostalgia movie made which is set in the 10's and 20's, and the current apocalypse is going to be going on in the background while the protagonist and antagonists do their things. Dua Lipa and Billi Eilish music will be in the sound track.

And people who are kids right now, they're going to be in their 40's grinning with nostalgia watching this movie with their kids, the same way someone my age would watch Stranger Things, and their kids are gonna be like, "OMG! Those man-buns are so LAME, I can't believe you had one of those! Did you really have to stay in your house for WEEKS with no toilet paper?". And the parents are gonna be like "Yeah, and we were offended by EVERYTHING."

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
In 20-25 years, there will be a nostalgia movie made which is set in the 10's and 20's, and the current apocalypse is going to be going on in the background while the protagonist and antagonists do their things. Dua Lipa and Billi Eilish music will be in the sound track.

And people who are kids right now, they're going to be in their 40's grinning with nostalgia watching this movie with their kids, the same way someone my age would watch Stranger Things, and their kids are gonna be like, "OMG! Those man-buns are so LAME, I can't believe you had one of those! Did you really have to stay in your house for WEEKS with no toilet paper?". And the parents are gonna be like "Yeah, and we were offended by EVERYTHING."

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. .... A time of wisdom, a time of unfettered, bat-$hit insanity"

Scat

Some assembly required :lmao: On Craigslist

BernieP

Resident PIA
We are much more sophisticated and efficient in spreading false information and getting people to panic.
We no longer rely on a late night stand up comic, but employ a large number of broadcast and digital news readers

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My next door neighbor ran a service station and bought TP by the case at the time. He was also a drinking man. His son and I just about cried with laughter watching him trying to get a case of TP up in his attic. It was huge and the opening was not. Good times, good times...

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm only concerned about the possibility of the Great Corona Beer Shortage.

I'll use grass and leaves for TP.