Removing Acrylic Nails

rwethereyet

Yeah, okay.
I've heard to soak them in acetone to let them "dissolve" away. I know this will take a LONG time and am willing to do that.

Do I just use Acetone Nail Polish to soak my hands in or is there a pure acetone that I use? Or does anyone know of another product I can use to help remove them?

TIA!!

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
I've heard to soak them in acetone to let them "dissolve" away. I know this will take a LONG time and am willing to do that.

Do I just use Acetone Nail Polish to soak my hands in or is there a pure acetone that I use? Or does anyone know of another product I can use to help remove them?

TIA!!

They do sell products to remove them but they are just acetone polish remover!

Happygirl

Walking for a cure!!
Just get pure (100%) acetone. It will work a lot better than regular nail polish remover, as that is watered down. I think you can get it at Wal-mart.

paralegalusaf

I have googled this question before... It does take a while with pure acetone... However, the site showed a plastic type of hot water bottle with a cavity to put the acetone in. The warmed acetone helps dissolve the acrylic faster...nevertheless it is still a procedure to get them removed! Hope what every you used worked with minimal pain and effort.

NTNG

No way would I ever "warm" acetone. By warming it, the fumes generated will be stronger, and acetone is EXTREMLY flammable. Regardless of the method, I dont believe there is a "safe" way to warm, or heat up, pure acetone.

If you are going to use pure acetone, do it in a well ventilated space, or outside, with no ignition sources around. Then let the rags you use to clean up your hands with, dry out out doors for a day or so. Dont throw them in a trash can.

Also, acetone will pull the oils out of your skin. If you use it to clean your hands after painting, you'll see that it drys your hands out so bad you will be amazed.

Sorry to preach, just trying to be helpfull.

paralegalusaf

Not sure about the nose thing, but when I drop my ID card, I can never pick it up...and looking like an idiot in the process.

kk2187

No way would I ever "warm" acetone. By warming it, the fumes generated will be stronger, and acetone is EXTREMLY flammable.

I recently went with someone who got them removed at a nail place. They put acetone in a bowl and place that bowl in water. I'm not sure if it was warm or not, but they put a towel over her hands and the bowl to control the fumes, I'm assuming.

paralegalusaf

I recently went with someone who got them removed at a nail place. They put acetone in a bowl and place that bowl in water. I'm not sure if it was warm or not, but they put a towel over her hands and the bowl to control the fumes, I'm assuming.
\

A bowl of acetone is set inside a warm bowl of water...heating the acetone this was is obviously safe and with it warm causes it to act faster. A towel is used for two reasons, 1. yes, it keeps the fumes down and 2. it helps retain the heat keeping the warmth in longer to help the gel dissolve faster. Some cutting away, filing, etc, may be necessary seeing how the acetone dissolves some and softens the rest. But keep in mind, the acetone will dry out your skin...very harsh!

paralegalusaf

No way would I ever "warm" acetone. By warming it, the fumes generated will be stronger, and acetone is EXTREMLY flammable. Regardless of the method, I dont believe there is a "safe" way to warm, or heat up, pure acetone.

If you are going to use pure acetone, do it in a well ventilated space, or outside, with no ignition sources around. Then let the rags you use to clean up your hands with, dry out out doors for a day or so. Dont throw them in a trash can.

Also, acetone will pull the oils out of your skin. If you use it to clean your hands after painting, you'll see that it drys your hands out so bad you will be amazed.

Sorry to preach, just trying to be helpfull.
Fumes Schumes....lol nail polish, nail polish remover, hair color, etc... all have some form of fumes... It's not like their mixing bleach and ammonia.

Everything has it's own associated risks...and ppl must use caution. When Darwinism comes into play...that's when ppl get stupid. But that's a contridiction in terms, lol.

I don't recommend letting the acetone steep in the hot/warm water like a teabag...lol More like: Add warm water in bowl, place ceremic or glass bowl of acetone immediately in bowl of warm water....immediately place hands in bowl and immediately cover with towel in a well ventilated room...followed by a parrifin dip!!! and moisturing gloves worn for a week...lol

That is the only way someone should warm acetone..of course, I am sure there is probably someone out there who thinks warming chemicals in the microwave or stove top (i.e. double boiler) is safe...if it's covered....lol These have no business doing their own nails, let alone using hairspray, hair dye, etc...lol...