Renewing car registration

SamSpade

What happens if you don't renew your car registration? Assuming that you will never drive the car again. Like - ever.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Nothing.

But as long as you have the title, you can register it again at any future date without issue. I've had vehicles sit for 10 years or more between active registrations.

SamSpade

You need to make sure you have turned in the tags on it.
THAT is the problem - I didn’t turn them in but the one who DID says he did it.

But I’m somewhat doubtful.

So let’s assume he lost them. Now what?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You need to make sure you have turned in the tags on it.
That is definitely true if the registration is still valid and you want to cancel your insurance. But I''ve never seen them worry about expired tags/registration. The tag is "dead" at the point. I've got a bunch of "dead" license plates here at the compound.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

if these are your tags, you should have gotten a letter from DMV

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
That is definitely true if the registration is still valid and you want to cancel your insurance. But I''ve never seen them worry about expired tags/registration. The tag is "dead" at the point. I've got a bunch of "dead" license plates here at the compound.

State Farm has been a pain in the ass about this in the past few yrs .... you must turn in the tags and provide the receipt before they will cancle the policy

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
State Farm has been a pain in the ass about this in the past few yrs .... you must turn in the tags and provide the receipt before they will cancle the policy
Allstate has always said to make sure you have the receipt in hand before cancelling.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

If the registration is/was still live and the insurance not in force....they'll fine you. A lot. Had that happen to me once when I let a guy take a vehicle home with my tag after purchasing it....with a promise that he'd mail it right back to me. He didn't and I let the insurance lapse on it.