Rent a Nag

Eventer29

Last weekend I went to WVA near Cannan Valley. We drove by the "facilities" for the Timberline guided trail rides. The family I was with was telling me about the bad conditions and the poor shape the horses were in. I had to laugh a little as they told me how the poor horses were left out in the snow without jackets on all winter. I tried to explain that horses do not NEED blankets or to be kept locked up inside in the winter as long as they have an adequate shelter. I wasnt impressed with the facility, but dont think there was anything horrible looking. No tractor/car parts in the turnout which was a bit muddy, but it had rained a bit and they did have some grassy turnout too.
What got me the most was the condition of the horses I saw being ridden. We were eating dinner at the ski lodge and the group of riders rides up and ties the horses to the railing with their reins. The horses looked thin and wormy. Some hadnt had farrier work for a while, others hooves looked ok. Most of the horses needed 50-100+ lbs put on them. The only one in decent weight was a small draft which had a 300lb guy riding it in what looked like a large youth sized saddle. Poor guy and poor horse! Out of the 10 or so horses maybe 2 of the saddles fit decently. The others the saddles were sitting right on their bony withers. Most of the bits were curb bits hanging down in/near the horse's teeth.
One of the women I was with was having a fit. Mainly because the riders all came in to get a drink but the horses got no water while they were standing there. A stop at a trough would have been nice for the tired beasties. She was threatening to call animal control. I tried to tell her that If their animal control up there is anything like most other places there isnt really anything they would/could do. The horses were not completely starved. Yes they could have a lot better care. But I told her I doubted anything would be done about it. We did (mainly her, she has a big mouth) complain to the guy acting as the trail guide. And I think she made some threats about calling AC on them.
Are all Guided trail ride places like this one? I would think they money they make could go into a little better care for the horses. Or at least they could check tack fit?? Of course most of the pictures you see in brochures you see decent looking to fat horses looking like they might actually be enjoying their rides.
Ok lil vent over!

devinej

well unfortunately i'd guess that was close to typical, but i haven't had too many experiences with guided trail rent a nag places. the latest i saw were the mules at the grand canyon. most were ok. the one that looked pretty old was a little ribby. feet on some had been done, feet on others were very very long. they had shoes on. some of their feet were strange...like crooked. the mule the guide was riding was overweight and very out of shape, came breathing hard and dripping, and continued to breathe hard even while just standing there long time after all the other horses were back to normal. my guess is that he was new, but they don't go light on the newbies. i didn't see where they were kept. tack fit was not horrendous. the other mules were fit-looking.

the horses and mules at zion national park were not in bad weight either. they don't have nearly as tough a ride to do as the grand canyon mules though.

my family used to stay at a dude ranch kinda place in NC that had guided trails. their horses had a great life there. lush patures, trails weren't that hard, they all looked pretty good. as a little kid i even rode one of their horses that was 37 years old. the cataloochee ranch.

Tazgirl

No all guided trail places are not like that. A friend of mine owns a place and his horses are in excellent shape, feet maintained, shots and vetted, saddles and bridles that fit with comfort in mind, nice pasture and feeding practices. He is careful to try and place rider and horse so that both are comfortable. So it's like with everything these days you can't judge all on just one incident.

mingiz

Horse Poor
No all guided trail places are not like that. A friend of mine owns a place and his horses are in excellent shape, feet maintained, shots and vetted, saddles and bridles that fit with comfort in mind, nice pasture and feeding practices. He is careful to try and place rider and horse so that both are comfortable. So it's like with everything these days you can't judge all on just one incident.

:yeahthat:

Eventer29

I was just thinking that if they took better care of their horses it would be more profitable. I know a few people who were in the lodge with us had said that they would not ride there because of the condition of the horses. Plus they could prob get more use out of the horses. I kept thinking if I were those horses Id toss a few of those riders...but I guess being underweight makes em have less energy to do so.
I have not actually been to/seen any other guided trail ride places. I am glad to hear that some do take care of their horses.

SoMDGirl42

I read the title of this thread completely wrong. :lol:

Backing out now. :howdy:

I read the meaning of the thread wrong. I was thinking about nags I could throw at them for free! :roflmao: Let's start with some of the biatchy office staff everyone complains about.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
I read the meaning of the thread wrong. I was thinking about nags I could throw at them for free! :roflmao: Let's start with some of the biatchy office staff everyone complains about.

I'm not :geek: a horsey tread. These women will kick my ass. :faint: