Rep. John Lewis

Hijinx

John Lewis.
He lived the Democrat dream.
Elected to Congress 17 times and died in office.
Pancreatic Cancer --the same cancer by the way that Justice Ginsberg has.
I wouldn't wish it on anyone.A terrible disease.

Obviously he opposed term limits.

Hessian

Almost always on the wrong side of every issue....career politician who did almost nothing productive for his district. A reliable vote unwavering for the failed Democratic agenda. ...and ANNOYING.

Last edited:

SamSpade

This is from memory - but I think I saw that he ran unopposed for something like 6 of his last nine elections.

This always bothers me. I realize when a candidate gets 80-90% of the vote consistently, there's little reason to bother.
Last election was unusual - the Dems decided to run a candidate ANYWAY even in districts where REPUBLICANS run unopposed. (Didn't help much).
Most election cycles, anywhere from 20 to 50 face no opposition in the general election - a few more, token opposition in the form of minor third parties. And MOST representatives face little to zero opposition in primaries.

In fact, most representatives come from "safe" districts. Most of the time, their ascent to power resides not by campaigning - but by kissing asses inside the party. Getting the nomination once the incumbent decides to leave or retire (or in this case - dies). That does kind of wipe out the whole idea that the people make the choices - they DO, but the parties are always trying to rig the game in their favor.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
@SamSpade Lewis did have opposition in the latest primary. I wonder, does that make Barrington Martin the Dem candidate for the General or will they do a special primary?

SamSpade

@SamSpade Lewis did have opposition in the latest primary. I wonder, does that make Barrington Martin the Dem candidate for the General or will they do a special primary?

Ballotpedia says the candidate seat is now OPEN - so I suppose they don't just give it to the next person in line? (Meaning Martin?)

Hessian

Not sure of the Georgia constitution,...but 36 states mandate a Governor's appointment for an open seat. Current governor is Kemp...Republican. Now that may just be for Senate replacements...unsure for Representative replacements.

SamSpade

Not sure of the Georgia constitution,...but 36 states mandate a Governor's appointment for an open seat. Current governor is Kemp...Republican. Now that may just be for Senate replacements...unsure for Representative replacements.

I think the last time Lewis' district voted for a Republican, LBJ was President - so if he appointed a Republican it would be kind of pointless.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I don't think they can get someone on the ballot that fast so another R in the Senate until 2022

:sshrug:
Georgia already has Aug 11 set as a date for a "run-off" if needed. It seems it is now needed to get a Dem candidate on the ballot for the General.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well, I'll say something nice:

John Lewis, back in the day before he became corrupted by politics, was a fearless civil rights activist who rose from being the son of sharecroppers to a respected (YMMV) member of the House. Whatever you think of his politics, the man had guts.

SamSpade

Heard a man this morning praising him, saying he represented the highest level of moral turpitude.

He REALLY needs to look that word up.

SamSpade

Perhaps he knows something we don't? :)

But more likely just ignorant.

Lots of people misuse words - he likely thought it was more or less synonymous with character or morality.

I used to use the word "galvanize" in place of "polarize". It not only doesn't mean the same thing, it's the opposite of how it is commonly WRONGLY used - it's often used to mean "bring together" and it doesn't mean THAT, either.