Replacing Cable Modem?

SamSpade

Is it worth it? We pay a "rental fee" for the one we use, but I only keep it because I know if something goes wrong, it's on THEM
and if it needs to be diagnosed remotely, I know they won't fuss.

But - their list of "approved" modems are largely underwhelming.

If you've replaced your cable modem, what did you go with?

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Absolutely, you will probably break even in a year or less. I have never rented a modem and I have never had a problem getting support from them (Metrocast). And I have never had a modem just go bad in 20+ years.

You want a modem that supports the latest DOCSIS standard and has as many channels as they support. The more channels that can be bonded together, the more bandwidth you can utilize concurrently. There are upload and download channels, usually more download than up.

I purchased the following in Feb. 2017.

Amazon product

Chris0nllyn

Yes. Get DOCSIS 3.0 as a min. Though I'd go with 3.1.

ARRIS Surfboard is a great modem choice. I'd go with the SBG6900 or SBG7580. The 7580 is a bit higher speed. Neither support VOIP, so if you're using Atlantic Broadband for phone, it won't work.

SamSpade

I've been looking at Arris this morning. One of the things it has to have is telephony, since we also use it for Internet phone.
Many of the models I saw don't have that - the ones you have, do?

Chris0nllyn

I don't have a house phone.

Arris makes modems with VOIP capability but it is worth calling to confirm the model number.

SamSpade

I don't have a house phone.

Arris makes modems with VOIP capability but it is worth calling to confirm the model number.

I've been looking at them on Amazon - VOIP doesn't seem to be all that popular a feature on any of them, which frankly surprised me.
BUT - if ABB is good with me having my own and supporting it - I think I'll buy one rather than "rent" one.

Chris0nllyn

I've been looking at them on Amazon - VOIP doesn't seem to be all that popular a feature on any of them, which frankly surprised me.
BUT - if ABB is good with me having my own and supporting it - I think I'll buy one rather than "rent" one.

It makes sense. You get a good router at around $150 and you've already paid for it in saved rental fees in a little over a year.

SamSpade

One more question - if I buy one, will I need to tell ABB about it, or does it just - swap?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
One more question - if I buy one, will I need to tell ABB about it, or does it just - swap?
You have to call them and give them the MAC address so their network can see it. It took about 10 minutes on the phone while they did the update and we tested to make sure it worked.

Chris0nllyn

You have to call them and give them the MAC address so their network can see it. It took about 10 minutes on the phone while they did the update and we tested to make sure it worked.

^This.

Some cable providers let you do it online, but it's pretty painless and assuming everything is connected correctly, is over in a few minutes. Just double check your bill to be sure they stopped charging you a rental fee.

Peridot IT

Be aware of using modems that advertise 1Gbps or higher. There is a chipset called Intel Puma that is used in gigabit routers that is known to cause issues and latency with your connection. These modems are going to be more popular now that Atlantic Broadband is advertising gigabit speeds and it's highly recommended you avoid these to prevent interruptions with your internet (I know...insert Atlantic Broadband joke here.)

I recommend getting the NETGEAR CM600 or ARRIS SB6183. The Netgear CM600 is very close to getting gigabit speeds.

Here is a list of modems to avoid:
https://approvedmodemlist.com/intel-puma-6-modem-list-chipset-defects/#modemlist

Here is some information regarding the Puma chipset issue:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/08/14/intel_puma_modem/
https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=246436

SamSpade

Be aware of using modems that advertise 1Gbps or higher. There is a chipset called Intel Puma that is used in gigabit routers that is known to cause issues and latency with your connection. These modems are going to be more popular now that Atlantic Broadband is advertising gigabit speeds and it's highly recommended you avoid these to prevent interruptions with your internet (I know...insert Atlantic Broadband joke here.)

I recommend getting the NETGEAR CM600 or ARRIS SB6183. The Netgear CM600 is very close to getting gigabit speeds.

Here is a list of modems to avoid:
https://approvedmodemlist.com/intel-puma-6-modem-list-chipset-defects/#modemlist

Here is some information regarding the Puma chipset issue:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/08/14/intel_puma_modem/
https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=246436

Thanks. I'll have to find a comparable one with VOIP.

SamSpade

Got my bill this month, and this is going to happen real soon. Bill went up a lot and for no obvious reason.
Is there any reason to just buy a cable modem identical to the one I have now?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
We just switched our office over to ABB from a Winstream/Verizon T1. That required two modems..one for our phone lines and one for the Internet connection; we're supposed to be at 500MB download and 50MB upload with that (we also had to buy new firewall and switches for our network to use that..it was old 10/100MB equipment). I say "supposed to be" because while it is screaming fast compared to our old service, they have a section of underground cable to replace before they can declare it up to snuff.

We're getting charged 9.99 a month for the phone modem but nothing for the other one..?

SamSpade

We just switched our office over to ABB from a Winstream/Verizon T1. That required two modems..one for our phone lines and one for the Internet connection; we're supposed to be at 500MB download and 50MB upload with that (we also had to buy new firewall and switches for our network to use that..it was old 10/100MB equipment). I say "supposed to be" because while it is screaming fast compared to our old service, they have a section of underground cable to replace before they can declare it up to snuff.

We're getting charged 9.99 a month for the phone modem but nothing for the other one..?

Yeah, see, SOMEHOW my bill went up about 11-13 bucks - for like - no reason. I'm paying almost twice what I paid for 12 years ago.
I'm really sick of it. But I think I can avoid SOME cost - the 10 bucks a month - if I just buy an identical cable modem off the Internet.

On their approved list - they specifically say they don't approve ANY modem with voice - which I need.
I have to think that I can at least buy the model they have in my house. They can't disapprove of one they have me RENTING.

I do prefer the reliability of either THEIR phone - or an actual landline company - because wireless only is seriously too spotty around
my house. Almost everyone who visits my home has to step outside to get a good signal - so you can imagine what it's like INSIDE, 24/7.

So we have the big ABB package - TV, phone, Internet - and the cost has been rising every month since they came here.
I'd leave their TV and phone in a heartbeat IF I could get the same thing I had with Internet only. The catch is, we DVR pretty much everything
we watch, and we have like 5 tv's, 3 with DVRs connected to a whole house DVR. I don't really know any way to just replace that
without ditching the whole thing and starting over.

ALMOST willing to test drive YouTube TV if they just offered a longer trial period.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
We have a love/hate relationship with ABB. We have an account on the apartment building (only two units) that is Internet and TV and we think we're paying way to much for it. In the office building, however, we cut our monthly Voice/data bill by half - to under $400 from $800/month, and went from 1.5mb data rate to 50/500MB data rate in the process!

We'll see how it goes...now that they've "got us".

SamSpade

Ok after chatting with a friend it appears ABB does NOT have a modem with voice they approve for replacing. Which is weird because obviously I use one. Mine is an Arris but my friend’s is a Hitron which typically gets low grades from EVERYONE - his also does phone. At this point I am wondering how hard could it be to just replace it with the same modem?