Report: Driver Trapped in Tesla After It Bursts into Flames, Electronic Doors Fail

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
A Tesla Model S Plaid reportedly erupted into flames outside of Philadelphia, trapping the owner inside after electronically activated doors refused to open, the car owner’s attorneys claim. The driver escaped from the Tesla, but the fire took more than two hours for the fire department to extinguish.

In December of 2020, a Tesla Model S owner named Usmaan Ahmad heard metallic bangs coming from his vehicle as he pulled off a suburban Dallas thoroughfare last month. Ahmad pulled over and moments later his five-year-old vehicle began shooting flames.

Ahmad, 41, stated that the sound he heard was like “if you were to drop an axle of a normal car,” but the vehicle was fully intact. As Ahmad stood on the side of the road watching his vehicle, the car burst into flames concentrated around the front passenger-side wheel. “This was shooting out like a flamethrower,” said Ahmad. Experts believe that the issue is related to the battery which raises questions about the safety and durability of electric vehicles as they age.

I'll stick to my fossil-fuel-F150.

glhs837

Power with Control
I'd be more concerned about a manual release or battery back up for the ****ing door locks

You needn't be, all Teslas have manual latches for the doors right on the door handle. The more you dig into this Philly case the more interesting it gets. Guys referred to as the Crypto King. Some eyewitness called it in he wasn't even there when police and fire showed up. And he lawyered up overnight and somehow got the city to turn the vehicle back over to him the next day so he can do an "independent" investigation. I don't think we've heard the last of this one I think the story is going to be more interesting than it seems right now.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I really just dont' have any faith in driving a battery bomb.

glhs837

Power with Control
About the Texas one yeah it caught on fire the guy was able to walk away. The only fires that have injured anybody have been those people stuck in crashes where they plowed in it like a hundred miles an hour. Just like gas vehicles I think everybody satisfied that Tesla has done the most they can to participate battery but you're always going to find an edge case for your protection doesn't work as long as your secondary method which is to slow the spread while people safely escapist functional then I don't see a huge problem "Tesla Adds Titanium Underbody Shield and Aluminum Deflector Plates to Model S | Tesla" https://www.tesla.com/blog/tesla-ad...-shield-and-aluminum-deflector-plates-model-s

glhs837

Power with Control
I really just dont' have any faith in driving a battery bomb.
But here's the thing have any of the batteries exploded? Has anybody been hurt by the batteries themselves outside of plus hundred mile an hour crashes?

PeoplesElbow

But here's the thing have any of the batteries exploded? Has anybody been hurt by the batteries themselves outside of plus hundred mile an hour crashes?
It will eventually happen, people have caught their junk on fire with an IPhone in their pocket. The difference is there are 100s of millions of I Phones.

glhs837

Power with Control
It will eventually happen, people have caught their junk on fire with an IPhone in their pocket. The difference is there are 100s of millions of I Phones.
Well the other big difference is that any modern EV has got a lot of mitigation built into the design cutouts between modules and active cooling system and battery management system. Things that you simply don't have space for inside of phone. They have and will continue to catch on fire. Anything made by man is subject to failure. But as long as your design has enough mitigations the failure can be destructive without being harmful.