Republican House Take Over

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Despite having been marginalized both by democrats as well as many in her own party, Marjorie Taylor Greene has been surprisingly effective.

The gist of the story is that the Times is hoping the new Republican Congress will be ineffective. While the New York Times seems terrified by the “loss” of what it calls “pragmatic” Republican lawmakers, this seems like good news to me:

In the past, more government-minded Republicans such as Mr. Upton could be relied upon to step up and supply the votes needed to resolve a crisis. But the ranks of pragmatists have been severely depleted, replaced by lawmakers who would like nothing more than a game of fiscal chicken, no matter the risks to an already shaky economy.​

What can I say? One man’s “pragmatist” is another man’s RINO. Here are three examples of what the Times means by pragmatists and non-pragmatists:

When the Senate convenes in January, the G.O.P. ranks will not include Senators Rob Portman of Ohio, Roy Blunt of Missouri or Richard M. Burr of North Carolina — veteran mainstream Republicans upon whom Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the minority leader, could rely to cast difficult votes on must-pass bills. They will be replaced with Senators-elect J.D. Vance of Ohio, Eric Schmitt of Missouri and Ted Budd of North Carolina, each of whom received the enthusiastic endorsement of former President Donald J. Trump.​

The Senate newcomers will be joined by, among others, Senator-elect Markwayne Mullin of Oklahoma, a congressman who belongs to the ultraconservative House Freedom Caucus, and potentially Herschel Walker of Georgia, another Trump acolyte, should he prevail in the Dec. 6 runoff.​

TPD

the poor dad
Despite having been marginalized both by democrats as well as many in her own party, Marjorie Taylor Greene has been surprisingly effective.

The gist of the story is that the Times is hoping the new Republican Congress will be ineffective. While the New York Times seems terrified by the “loss” of what it calls “pragmatic” Republican lawmakers, this seems like good news to me:
But wait - I thought all of the far right extremists that the Donald supported lost their elections so democracy was no longer in jeopardy. Make up my mind. :crazy:

stgislander

PREMO Member
But wait - I thought all of the far right extremists that the Donald supported lost their elections so democracy was no longer in jeopardy. Make up my mind. :crazy:
Damnit!!! Now you'll get SMC79 all spun up again.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
EMXcsDEXsAAiw70.jpg

OccamsRazor

Wouldn't it be nice if the new regime actually focused on what they are supposed to be doing instead of perpetuating the idiocy of the last regime? How about working an the economy, inflation, homelessness, etc.? How about a good budget?

Reactions: TPD

TPD

the poor dad
Wouldn't it be nice if the new regime actually focused on what they are supposed to be doing instead of perpetuating the idiocy of the last regime? How about working an the economy, inflation, homelessness, etc.? How about a good budget?
yeah the irony in some of the RINOs talking about Trump not letting go of the last election but wanting to now spend the next 2 years litigating the last 20 years of the Bidens.

OccamsRazor

yeah the irony in some of the RINOs talking about Trump not letting go of the last election but wanting to now spend the next 2 years litigating the last 20 years of the Bidens.
In my opinion, it has all been a big distraction for the last 3+ terms. While they toil away at impeachments, finger pointing, etc. the REAL reason they are there (the HARD work) is ignored. They need to STOP being elected for "Look what I did against Trump, Biden, Obama, etc." and get people in there that will say "Let's get to work on what REALLY needs to be fixed and let the bullshit go!"

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
"From the moment I was elected, the Republican Party has made it their mission to use fear, xenophobia, Islamophobia and racism to target me on the House floor and through millions of dollars of campaign ads," said Omar. "McCarthy’s effort to repeatedly single me out for scorn and hatred — including threatening to strip me from my committee — does nothing to address the issues our constituents deal with. It does nothing to address inflation, health care or solve the climate crisis."

Omar said the "constant stream of hate" from conservatives has "led to hundreds of death threats and credible plots against me and my family."

"Instead of doing anything to address the open hostility toward religious minorities in his party, McCarthy is now lifting up people like Marjorie Taylor Greene … and so many others," she said.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

McCarthy’s planned expulsions of Intel Democrats prompts howls

While the committee was always set to undergo a shake-up next year — the result of routine, post-election restructuring — the McCarthy vows, if fulfilled, would represent a much more aggressive action by a new majority to take vengeance on its political opponents.

McCarthy has accused Schiff of lying to the public, both about President Trump’s ties to Moscow and Hunter Biden’s work in Ukraine. And he’s gone after Swalwell for his ties to a Chinese spy who had targeted California politicians.

“Eric Swalwell cannot get a security clearance in the public sector. Why would we ever give him a security clearance in the secrets to America? So I will not allow him to be on Intel,” McCarthy told Fox News “Sunday Morning Futures” host Maria Bartiromo.

“You have Adam Schiff, who had lied to the American public time and again,” McCarthy continued. “We will not allow him to be on the Intel Committee either.“

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

The Case For Booting Adam Schiff From The House Intel Committee

In 2019, Schiff became chair of the Intelligence Committee when Democrats reclaimed the House majority. By the fall, Democrats drew articles of impeachment to indict Trump on abuse of power and obstruction of Congress with claims the president illegally harnessed U.S. military aid to extract concessions from the corrupt foreign government in Ukraine. Trump, the story went, withheld $400 million in military aid from Ukraine until President Volodymyr Zelensky pledged to investigate his own country’s role in the Russia hoax which did irreparable harm to the United States. That investigation would inevitably center around Hunter Biden, son of now-President Joe Biden, who raked in tens of thousands of dollars in excess compensation for a seat on the board of a Ukrainian energy company despite no prior industry experience.

Schiff presided over the House impeachment hearings as if withholding hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars in foreign aid until its recipients act in American interests was even a bad thing, let alone worthy of impeachment. As chair, Schiff’s deposition hearings were held behind closed doors while the committee selectively leaked snippets of testimony to amplify their own narratives to a complicit press. In fact, leaking on the Intelligence Committee became a favorite practice of the congressman, whose habitual leaks made their way uncritically into the pages of The New York Times.

When he wasn’t leaking to the allied press machine, Schiff was making up his own evidence to promote the Democrats’ fabricated narratives. In September 2019, Schiff created his own transcript of the phone call between Trump and Zelensky which was supposed to be the smoking gun that warranted impeachment. In his own rendition, Schiff framed Trump as someone demanding a favor the president never actually requested, but he offered the media a storyline the press ran with, slicing and dicing Trump’s words to fit the pro-impeachment narrative.

let me think ... where have I heard this before .....

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

It's Time For McCarthy and McConnell to Retire

"Nobody, not Republicans, not independents, not Democrats in my state are happy with the leadership in Washington. I'm not either. So I'm on their side, not on the side of these guys,” Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) said.

Sen. Mike Braun (R-Ind) also insinuated that it’s time for McConnell to hang up his robe.

I don't think we're generating the results politically or governmentally… we don't have an agenda. We don't have a business plan. That doesn't work anywhere else,” Braun said.

Meanwhile, Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif) is slightly more popular than McConnell, who is in line for speaker of the House.

37 percent of voters view McCarthy as a favorable choice for House speaker, while 46 percent say he shouldn’t be in the seat.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I think it's completely appropriate for them to prosecute and punish the crimes of the previous Congress, not to mention the Biden crime family. That's why they have all those committees - so everyone has a job.

It's up to us - their supervisors - to make sure they're doing those jobs and not loafing by the water cooler.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
“To catch everyone up, last week there were 36 votes against Kevin McCarthy in the Republican conference, and again, Kevin has had years to try to convince people of the worth of his candidacy. Since that time, zero of those 36 have come out to say, ‘You know what, I voted against McCarthy previously, but I’m now prepared to vote for him on the floor.’ Zero,” he said.

“Meanwhile, five members, which include myself, Andy Biggs, Bob Good, Matt Rosendale, and now most recently Ralph Norman, have all come out and said that our ‘no’ vote on McCarthy is firm. It was not just a no vote within the Republican conference. It is a ‘no’ vote we intend to carry to the floor,” he added.

Five is the magic number, he explained, “because Republicans are expected to hold a four-seat majority.”

stgislander

PREMO Member
So... assuming that the Dems will be in lock step to vote for Jefferies, does it make any sense to hand the Dems back the Speakership?

OccamsRazor

I think it's completely appropriate for them to prosecute and punish the crimes of the previous Congress, not to mention the Biden crime family. That's why they have all those committees - so everyone has a job.

It's up to us - their supervisors - to make sure they're doing those jobs and not loafing by the water cooler.
But, first on the agenda? You don't think there are more important issues to tackle?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But, first on the agenda? You don't think there are more important issues to tackle?

Trump proved that it's possible to multitask and get a lot accomplished in a short amount of time. They don't need 435 people focused on one issue - that's about 430 people too many.

We accept that our Congress is a bunch of do-nothing lazy dipshits because that's the way it's always been. They have plenty of time to rage-tweet and go on the talk shows, not to mention trot the globe on "junkets". That's not what we hired them to do.

Fun fact: Congresstards spend most of their time fundraising/panhandling. Like WAY most of their time. That's why they never have time for the important things we hired them to do.