Republicans Have 'Cartoonish' View of Military

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link to original article.

"Former Secretary of Defense Robert Gates told CBS News that Republican lawmakers who are blasting President Barack Obama's administration for failing to take military action during last September's surprise attacks in Benghazi have a "cartoonish" view of the military.

"I listened to the testimony of [Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta] and [Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Martin Dempsey]," Gates explained to CBS host Bob Schieffer in an interview that aired on Sunday. "And, frankly, had I been in the job at the time, I think my decisions would have been just as theirs were."

"We don't have a ready force standing by in the Middle East -- despite all the turmoil that's going on -- with planes on strip alert, troops ready to deploy at a moment's notice. And so, getting somebody there in a timely way would have been very difficult, if not impossible." "

" "Based on everything I've read, people really didn't know what was going on in Benghazi contemporaneously, and to send some small number of Special Forces or other troops in without knowing what the environment is, without knowing what the threat is, without having any intelligence in terms of what is actually going on on the ground, I think, would have been very dangerous," the former defense secretary observed. "And personally, I would not have approved that."

"It's sort of a cartoonish impression of military capabilities and military forces. The one thing that our forces are noted for is planning and preparation before we send people in harm's way. And there just wasn't time to do that." "

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Indeed.

he Foreign Emergency Support Team is the United States Government's only interagency, on-call, short-notice team poised to respond to terrorist incidents worldwide. Led and trained by the Operations Directorate of the Office of the Coordinator for Counterterrorism, it assists U.S. missions and host governments in responding quickly and effectively to terrorist attacks. The FEST, which has deployed to over 20 countries since its inception in 1986, leaves for an incident site within four hours of notification, providing the fastest assistance possible.

Foreign Emergency Support Team (FEST)

Crashpupty

havoc is havoc
What else would an appointed member of the Obama admin say or the previous secretary say. They will say what they are told to say.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
If only we had some sort of machine that could fly over and provide support from the air

The decision to not send in a FEST or Special Operations group was made within 90 minutes of notification of the White House of the attack on the compound. The second attack ended nearly 7 hours later. Plenty of time for a Special Ops team to get there to kick some @$$ and get some captives to waterboard.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If only we had some sort of machine that could fly over and provide support from the air

You have a cartoonish view of what the military does. It's not like we just have these machines, these whatever you would call them, just sitting around, waiting, standing by for an emergency or something that can just suddenly be there in a few hours.

I've read where Ty Woods was apparently running around with some sort of magic wand thingy, targeting, specifically, the mortar crew, the ones who showed up to spontaneously protest Gone with the Wind or some other video, so that some sort of magic weapon from the sky would know where to fall.

Apparently, he, too, was thinking "If only we had some sort of machine that could fly over and provide support from the air..."

I've heard two versions; one, it was last ditch to try and scare the attackers into thinking some sort of machine was flying over to provide support and, two, he was told some sort of machine that could fly over and provide support was coming. And called off.

Some cartoon, huh?

SamSpade

Why not? Apparently a mob can spontaneously show up and attack the embassy without any problem.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Why not? Apparently a mob can spontaneously show up and attack the embassy without any problem.

And more Libyan's routinely carry AK-47s, RPGs and mortars around than they do umbrellas.

Because it does not rain there much.:coffee:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
And more Libyan's routinely carry AK-47s, RPGs and mortars around than they do umbrellas.

Protest Check List .....

AK 47 + 12 30 rnd Mags - Check
RPD + 5 200 rnd belts - Check
RPG + 2 packs of warheads - Check

Gilligan are you bringing the 106 RR or the 120 mm Mortar ..

.... or do I need to ask itsbob to bring his 120 ?

do you have more than 2 shells ?

should I call Larry G

is anybody packing the AGS - 17

does anyone have a Dshk ?

GW8345

Not White House Approved
Wow, all those times of standing alert 5/7 on the cats were nothing but a waste for there was no reason to have those aircraft sitting there, ready to go at a moment’s notice.

And all those times of loading live ordnance on those alert aircraft was just so we wouldn’t have to go to the gym after our shift, thanks for the consideration liberal politicians.

For someone to say we don’t have forces standing alerts is either a total moron, has never ventured to a military base in the AOR, has never stepped foot on a carrier while it’s deployed in the AOR or is lying out there arse, your choice.

The only people who have a cartoonish view of the military are the liberals and NoNothing Boy thinks COD is 100% factual. This “putting people into harm’s way” is totally BS, which is the military’s job, to go into harm’s way so others won’t have to. Hell, every day I went to work I was in harm’s way, its part of the job and if you can’t accept that, you don’t sign on the dotted line.