Rescreening porch?

jg21

Hi folks, our screened in porch is ready to be rescreened. Long Fence, the builders many years ago, came out and gave us an outrageous estimate. Does anyone know of local companies that might come out and give us an estimate?

Thanks,
Jim

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

There is a section at Lowes with all the supplies, screening, cording, tools, etc., just for that exact thing. Do it yourself, save a bundle, and brag to everyone how easy it was.

Grumpy

Hi folks, our screened in porch is ready to be rescreened. Long Fence, the builders many years ago, came out and gave us an outrageous estimate. Does anyone know of local companies that might come out and give us an estimate?

Thanks,
Jim

Long Fence will call you back in a couple weeks and drop the price 20, 30%. They did it to me a couple times but I had already arranged for someone else at half their quote.

I agree with LightRoasted, its pretty easy to do it yourself. I'm sure there are dozens of youtube vids out there showing how easy it is.

TCROW

The value of my time and the utility cost of not doing what I’d rather be doing is worth far more to me than spending a weekend doing crap around my house when I can dial a phone number and sign a check and instead take out my boat for the day. I haven’t worked hard my whole life to spend time doing menial tasks that I can outsource.

When I was 25, single, and poor? Yea, then. But not now. Hell, I can’t even tell you the last time I cut my own grass. I have all the equipment I need but have outsourced to the kids from the family down the street. They’ve all cut my grass as they’ve grown up.

Priorities man.

transporter

If I may ...

There is a section at Lowes with all the supplies, screening, cording, tools, etc., just for that exact thing. Do it yourself, save a bundle, and brag to everyone how easy it was.

:yeahthat:

You are going to pay someone to re-screen??? Hopefully you are well into your 70s...and don't have the minimal physical skills and complete lack of knowledge needed to re-screen something.

TCROW

You are going to pay someone to re-screen??? Hopefully you are well into your 70s...and don't have the minimal physical skills and complete lack of knowledge needed to re-screen something.

Everything is an economic trade off my friend.

littlelady

God bless the USA
If I may ...

Good grief. How do y’all know what Jim’s situation is; not physically able, or filthy rich? It doesn’t matter. He is asking for recommendations. Period. If I could recommend someone, I would. I never had a screened in porch, and would have loved one.

acommondisaster

Good grief. How do y’all know what Jim’s situation is; not physically able, or filthy rich? It doesn’t matter. He is asking for recommendations. Period. If I could recommend someone, I would. I never had a screened in porch, and would have loved one.
If he's filthy rich, he wouldn't be complaining about Long's pricing - especially since his time is so valuable.

BernieP

Resident PIA
If I may ...

There is a section at Lowes with all the supplies, screening, cording, tools, etc., just for that exact thing. Do it yourself, save a bundle, and lie to everyone how easy it was.
fixed. :killingme
Ok, the job itself isn't difficult, the question is, how good do you want it to look?
Sadly, it seems fixing screens / rescreening is a do it yourself project. You can't take the frame in and have them done.
Hopefully you don't end up with tails and sagging screens (like some of us)

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I was just referring to doing something and having a sense pride in accomplishment. As for others saying of having the riches and source it out, well, I have the riches, coming from nothing, and still would do it myself just for the satisfaction. Depending on the scope, start in the morning and finish in the afternoon and still have time to drop a line for some perch. Or, rock chair away in the newly re-screened porch with some good whiskey in hand. Btw, suggesting to 'do it yourself', is a recommendation.

RodRugg

I agree with that TCROW guy and it totally works! When my uncle Stanley lived at home he HATED cutting the grass so bad because, number 1, the lawnmower was they kind you had to push or pull with dogs and, number 2, my grandma was always building her Cat Castles and had them laying out in the yard to mow around. Anyways, he did what TCROW said and hotsauced them kids down the street and they did just about everything my uncle said until their parents died and they had to move to their aunt's house. By that time my uncle moved out and now he just sprays his own yard with turpentine every two weeks.

gemma_rae

The value of my time and the utility cost of not doing what I’d rather be doing is worth far more to me than spending a weekend doing crap around my house when I can dial a phone number and sign a check and instead take out my boat for the day. I haven’t worked hard my whole life to spend time doing menial tasks that I can outsource.

When I was 25, single, and poor? Yea, then. But not now. Hell, I can’t even tell you the last time I cut my own grass. I have all the equipment I need but have outsourced to the kids from the family down the street. They’ve all cut my grass as they’ve grown up.

Priorities man.
And yet your time is of such little value that you fritter it away competing with your MPD's for the Biggest D!ckhead on the Forum.

Clem72

Everything is an economic trade off my friend.

Not really. Sometimes it's nice to accomplish a task yourself and you don't need to run the math vs your hourly wage. Do I want to install insulation or dig post holes myself when I can pay someone else, not really. But change my oil / filters, replace a window, or reside the garage. Yeah, those are tasks I can fill good about spending the odd weekend accomplishing.

gemma_rae

How can someone so stupid manage to compose a comment so ignorant? It's like you're trying to out moron your lack of intelligence.

Last edited: