Rescreening porch?

TCROW

Not really. Sometimes it's nice to accomplish a task yourself and you don't need to run the math vs your hourly wage. Do I want to install insulation or dig post holes myself when I can pay someone else, not really. But change my oil / filters, replace a window, or reside the garage. Yeah, those are tasks I can fill good about spending the odd weekend accomplishing.

Key words - you “feel good” doing them. I’d argue you’ve made an economic trade off.

FWIW, I still change my own oil and filters because it’s easy and I am sure it will be done right and I won’t get ripped off at the stealership. But - that’s no less an economic trade off than anything else discussed here.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Not really. Sometimes it's nice to accomplish a task yourself and you don't need to run the math vs your hourly wage. Do I want to install insulation or dig post holes myself when I can pay someone else, not really. But change my oil / filters, replace a window, or reside the garage. Yeah, those are tasks I can fill good about spending the odd weekend accomplishing.
No longer do fuilds on vehicles, because frankly I don't want the mess of trying to capture the old, then get it into a transportable container for proper disposal at the transfer station (road trip) / nor do I want it sitting aroiund the garage.
Don't do screens any more if I can avoid it. Mainly because I don't want to get down on my knees on the garage floor - the only large flat surface I have to work on.

If I were going to put new material into the frames, I tihnk I would look for a wire (metal) screen) and if too course, overlay it with the nylon.
The nylon crap tears so easy after a few years it's not funny.

I'm out of my teens and evey 20's, I'm not as flexible / pliable as I use to be.

Don't want to touch anything on a vehicle now, yes, it use to be easy, but now, you have to take the engine apart to change a spark plug.
That's not hyperbole, one of the cars needed a part changed out. I thought it would be easy. Mechanic informed me that the way the engine was built and installed, you had to almost remove the engine to get to the part in question.

It's not a matter that I can't do it, it's that I no longer feel like dealing with it AND often you have someone, who is impatient, waiting for you to complete the job so they can do what they want to do.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

No longer do fuilds on vehicles, because frankly I don't want the mess of trying to capture the old, then get it into a transportable container for proper disposal at the transfer station (road trip) / nor do I want it sitting aroiund the garage.
Don't do screens any more if I can avoid it. Mainly because I don't want to get down on my knees on the garage floor - the only large flat surface I have to work on.

If I were going to put new material into the frames, I tihnk I would look for a wire (metal) screen) and if too course, overlay it with the nylon.

I'm out of my teens and evey 20's, I'm not as flexible / pliable as I use to be.

Don't want to touch anything on a vehicle now, yes, it use to be easy, but now, you have to take the engine apart to change a spark plug.
That's not hyperbole, one of the cars needed a part changed out. I thought it would be easy. Mechanic informed me that the way the engine was built and installed, you had to almost remove the engine to get to the part in question.

It's not a matter that I can't do it, it's that I no longer feel like dealing with it AND often you have someone, who is impatient, waiting for you to complete the job so they can do what they want to do.
Well, as Clint Eastwood once said, "A man has got to know his limitations". Respect.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
If your porch get a lot of sun, the insect screen can be replaced with a product called Solar Screen.
It holds up much better than regular nylon screening, is fire resistant and will cut back the heat transmission from the sunlight noticeably.
It will, also cut down the light a little, too, but not badly.

I made up many thousands of square feet of that when I worked in Florida.

BernieP

Resident PIA
If your porch get a lot of sun, the insect screen can be replaced with a product called Solar Screen.
It holds up much better than regular nylon screening, is fire resistant and will cut back the heat transmission from the sunlight noticeably.
It will, also cut down the light a little, too, but not badly.

I made up many thousands of square feet of that when I worked in Florida.
I don't have a screende in porch, just screens on the windows. But thanks, I'll look into it. Sounds like it would be a good idea for the entire house.
Screens being on the outside tend to take the beating from the weather and windblow debris (sticks).
The nylon becomes brittle over time. Plus the little latch is perfect for cutting the screen if it rubs.
So something more durable would be nice.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I don't have a screende in porch, just screens on the windows. But thanks, I'll look into it. Sounds like it would be a good idea for the entire house.
Screens being on the outside tend to take the beating from the weather and windblow debris (sticks).
The nylon becomes brittle over time. Plus the little latch is perfect for cutting the screen if it rubs.
So something more durable would be nice.
It is one of the very few door and window products I found that actually lives up to manufacturer's claims.
Here's the website for the fabric I used back when I did the work: https://www.phifer.com/sun-control/exterior/