Researchers Look To Create Invisibility Cloak

rack'm

Jaded
POSTED: 5:25 pm EDT May 25, 2006
UPDATED: 6:01 pm EDT May 25, 2006

Researchers in England and the U.S. unveiled blueprints for creating an invisibility cloak.

The scientists said the special materials needed to make the cloak would be man-made and the technologies likely already exist, according to a report.

Physicist John Pendry at the Imperial College London said it's theoretically possible to make materials engineered down to their microfibers that would be capable of making any object invisible by deflecting light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation.

Pendry co-authors a report in Thursday's online edition of the journal Science.

Source, but this is all there is to read

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
rack'm said:
POSTED: 5:25 pm EDT May 25, 2006
UPDATED: 6:01 pm EDT May 25, 2006

Researchers in England and the U.S. unveiled blueprints for creating an invisibility cloak.

The scientists said the special materials needed to make the cloak would be man-made and the technologies likely already exist, according to a report.

Physicist John Pendry at the Imperial College London said it's theoretically possible to make materials engineered down to their microfibers that would be capable of making any object invisible by deflecting light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation.

Pendry co-authors a report in Thursday's online edition of the journal Science.

Source, but this is all there is to read

Cloaking Dewice

Been around for years. :biggrin:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I saw a Popular Science article about modern camoflaging (sp?) technology. Using millions of nanocameras and nano "mirrors", they managed to create clothing that could photograph what was on one side of you and project that image around to the other side of you, so that when people looked at you from any angle, you essentially blended into your background. Pretty cool stuff. I saw pictures that you really had to study for several seconds to see the person.

dustin

UAIOE
sleuth said:
I saw a Popular Science article about modern camoflaging (sp?) technology. Using millions of nanocameras and nano "mirrors", they managed to create clothing that could photograph what was on one side of you and project that image around to the other side of you, so that when people looked at you from any angle, you essentially blended into your background. Pretty cool stuff. I saw pictures that you really had to study for several seconds to see the person.
they dropped that project because the test soldiers were giving their bosses wedgies.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
sleuth said:
Here's some info about it:
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/fyi/8fe90e0796b84010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

A few movies showing off the technology:
http://projects.star.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/projects/MEDIA/xv/oc.html

A really cool pic:
http://www.saunalahti.fi/~amulari/ante/optical_camouflage.jpg

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I had a cape that made me invisible by the time I was 6. I built the prototype when I was 4 years old with some tinfoil, tape and a cardboard box but it wasn't very comfortable.