Resident Alien

SamSpade

Ok, I think this show is hilarious - and it is supposed to be - I have a brother in law who typically doesn't go for sci-fi, and it's his favorite show.

But this is actually about something else -

Two occasional cast members are - Linda Hamilton, of Terminator fame - and Terry Quinn, probably best known for "Lost".
They're only five years apart in age - Quinn is 70. Hamilton looks like a wrinkled prune - and that's saying a lot, since they're already wrinkled.
Quinn looks great - maybe they have a great makeup crew (but wouldn't they spend SOME time with Linda?). He really doesn't appear to have aged since Lost - heck even JAG for that matter.

SamSpade

Lost = The reason I hesitate to invest in TV shows.
Worst shark jump and ending in history!
I think what PISSED ME OFF so much about "Lost" was - from the very first episodes all through each season - there was this oh so THAT'S why there's a polar bear - that's why he got on the plane - that's why the feet are there - and so on. They were tying all the stuff up - - -

And then just sorta made up an ending.

You were led to believe they had the whole thing mapped out and planned - but they were making it up as they went along.

THAT is what pissed me off about it. I've seen shows that have had season or SERIES long arcs, and it's clear they DID KNOW when they began, how it would work out. LOST said, yeah, we had a lot planned - but we never knew what the whole thing was about in the first place.

I never really DID get why the ISLAND itself could appear and disappear.

OccamsRazor

I think what PISSED ME OFF so much about "Lost" was - from the very first episodes all through each season - there was this oh so THAT'S why there's a polar bear - that's why he got on the plane - that's why the feet are there - and so on. They were tying all the stuff up - - -

And then just sorta made up an ending.

You were led to believe they had the whole thing mapped out and planned - but they were making it up as they went along.

THAT is what pissed me off about it. I've seen shows that have had season or SERIES long arcs, and it's clear they DID KNOW when they began, how it would work out. LOST said, yeah, we had a lot planned - but we never knew what the whole thing was about in the first place.

I never really DID get why the ISLAND itself could appear and disappear.
My belief was that they had their whole plot exposed by Season 2 and had to scramble to change it. If you remember, there were multiple stories and reports that the show was about the afterlife and possibly Purgatory and that the entire cast was there. I personally believe that the shows creators were like "CRAP!... they know the story arc and now we have to scramble to think of something else!"
After the 2nd season, all the Easter eggs disappeared and the story started to go sideways.

EDIT: Sorry about the thread derail...

stgislander

PREMO Member
Resident Alien is one of the very few shows on cable TV where I laugh out loud. I'm surprised it is still on cable, and not on some pay streaming service.

I know... I just jinxed it.

I tend not to watch anything new for just that reason.

As soon as I like something, it's doomed to cancelation.
I look up the history of a series first to find out it tree is a series finale or did the rug get pulled out from under.

Clem72

There's been a few shows like this where I swear they wait and troll the fan forums looking for theories to steal to tie their own stories back together.

And I think the issue with Terry is kind of like the issue with Patrick Stewart. He looked 60 when he was 50. Now he looks 60 when he is 70.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I tend not to watch anything new for just that reason.

As soon as I like something, it's doomed to cancelation.
I didn’t start watching Blue Bloods until season 10, I wanted a show I could get bored with before they cancelled it.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
OK. Four episodes into this one as of this morning.

Definitely a high cringe-factor at times but gonna give it a few more episodes as it seems like it might be worth it.

Loved the quote about Almond milk being the leading cause of death and that "even the grey aliens wouldn't drink it"

stgislander

PREMO Member

Definitely a high cringe-factor at times but gonna give it a few more episodes as it seems like it might be worth it.

Loved the quote about Almond milk being the leading cause of death and that "even the grey aliens wouldn't drink it"
Did you start from the beginning?

glhs837

Power with Control

Yep. Lots of cringe, but the humor is worth it all. Loving the Feds. "Somethings really wrong with you". And the kid is priceless.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Yep. Lots of cringe, but the humor is worth it all. Loving the Feds. "Somethings really wrong with you". And the kid is priceless.
To me, a lot of cringe comes from the Sheriff and the goofy blonde Judy. Harry cursing is hilarious.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
There was another Alien based show on a few years back called People Of Earth.

Wasn't bad.