Restaurant workers should keep collecting unemployment instead of going back to work for poverty wages

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Like 2.5 million other restaurant workers, I lost my job overnight not long after the World Health Organization designated COVID-19 a pandemic. Thanks to the CARES Act, the federal government expanded state safety nets by adding a supplemental $600 a week in unemployment benefits. While President Donald Trump allowed that extra benefit to expire in 2020, the most recent relief package passed by the Democratic-run Congress and the Biden administration put a $300-a-week benefit back on the table until September 6 for workers affected by the pandemic. There's no reason for workers to come back to their old jobs earning the same poverty wages, especially since more than 100 million Americans remain unvaccinated, and there's still a stable safety net in place until autumn.

It's not that unemployed restaurant workers don't want jobs — we just have more options now. In the manufacturing sector, where jobs typically come with higher pay and have higher rates of union representation, hiring is rapidly expanding at levels not seen in decades. Amazon, which pays a $15-an-hour minimum wage, added roughly half a million positions in the past year alone. The chief financial officer of Costco, which raised its minimum wage to $16 an hour, recently said the company had been "inundated" with job applications.

And it's important to remember that there are still more than 700,000 new applications for unemployment across the country each week (compared with a little over 200,000 before the pandemic), so jobs are still relatively scarce. The supplemental federal unemployment benefit is extremely necessary given how strained the US economy still is.

Being indoors and in close proximity to other people during a pandemic is dangerous work. Restaurant workers have a much higher chance of dying from COVID-19 than workers in other sectors, according to researchers at the University of California, San Francisco. And any restaurant worker who takes on a job risks losing it again as the virus continues to surge around the country.

TPD

the poor dad
Being indoors and in close proximity to other people during a pandemic is dangerous work. Restaurant workers have a much higher chance of dying from COVID-19 than workers in other sectors, according to researchers at the University of California, San Francisco. And any restaurant worker who takes on a job risks losing it again as the virus continues to surge around the country.

I don’t believe restaurant workers have a higher chance of dying from the ‘rona.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I don’t believe restaurant workers have a higher chance of dying from the ‘rona.

yeah I do not either ..... the left is trying to ascribe some firefighter like heroism to restaurant workers

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Since, in general, restaurant owners cannot simply raise wages without going under, we will simply have fewer restaurants. Easy math...that’s always been one of the riskiest and most highly leveraged industries in the country.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I see plenty of help wanted signs in the windows of restaurants during my drive to work everyday.

Grumpy

Since, in general, restaurant owners cannot simply raise wages without going under, we will simply have fewer restaurants. Easy math...that’s always been one of the riskiest and most highly leveraged industries in the country.
Was involved in a restaurant/pub back in the 70s, we subscribed to some monthly restaurant magazine and I remember reading that of the 100 restaurants that opened up today, only 5 would still be in business in 5 years.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Was involved in a restaurant/pub back in the 70s, we subscribed to some monthly restaurant magazine and I remember reading that of the 100 restaurants that opened up today, only 5 would still be in business in 5 years.

I owned a restaurant for a short period of time ...it never broke even and I subsidized its operation because it was an integral and necessary component of my larger operations (waterfront bar/hotel/cottages with a lot of charter fishing).

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
:sshrug:

It's a guest opinion piece from a entitled 30 something who thinks she deserves combat pay for serving hamburgers or a $ 15 hr wage

Well BI should vet their contributions at least a little bit. When they allow their op-ed dorks to spew the dumb it makes them look dumb.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I see plenty of help wanted signs in the windows of restaurants during my drive to work everyday.
And that's not just around here. Why work when the govt makes it so easy to not work and still get free money? There are those who won't work because of the chance of contracting the virus, but it's unfounded.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And that's not just around here. Why work when the govt makes it so easy to not work and still get free money? There are those who won't work because of the chance of contracting the virus, but it's unfounded.

Stop unemployment payments and they'll get back to work quick enough. Or they'll die of helplessness, and that's okay by me too.

I'm finding that places employing low skilled workers have stepped up their customer service a notch because the folks working are a few cuts above those who want to lay on their ass and get a govt check. So I'm pretty happy with those people out of my life.

SamSpade

Don't wait TOO long - you might find the "Help Wanted" sign replaced with a "Going Out of Business" sale.

Restaurants are closing by the tens of thousands - for good.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I'm being an optimist here, and hoping that at least some of these restaurants that are closing will just wait out the economy and try again.

PeoplesElbow

Stop unemployment payments and they'll get back to work quick enough. Or they'll die of helplessness, and that's okay by me too.

I'm finding that places employing low skilled workers have stepped up their customer service a notch because the folks working are a few cuts above those who want to lay on their ass and get a govt check. So I'm pretty happy with those people out of my life.
Went out to Longhorn last night, the food was good the waiter was excellent.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Went out to Longhorn last night, the food was good the waiter was excellent.

The problem with the excellent waiter is that he's on to bigger and better things - just working to afford college or getting his foot in the workforce. Soon he'll start a career and his serving days will be a fond memory. That's why I always tip the chit out of great servers - trying to encourage them to stay and not move on.

:biggrin:

PeoplesElbow

The problem with the excellent waiter is that he's on to bigger and better things - just working to afford college or getting his foot in the workforce. Soon he'll start a career and his serving days will be a fond memory. That's why I always tip the chit out of great servers - trying to encourage them to stay and not move on.

:biggrin:
Not sure about that, this guy was probably 50-55.