Revelation 5 That new song

seekeroftruth

Revelation 5: 7 He went and took the scroll from the right hand of him who sat on the throne. 8 And when he had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of God’s people. 9 And they sang a new song, saying:

“You are worthy to take the scroll
and to open its seals,
because you were slain,
and with your blood you purchased for God
persons from every tribe and language and people and nation.
10 You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God,
and they will reign(b) on the earth.”​

11 Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders. 12 In a loud voice they were saying:

“Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain,
to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength
and honor and glory and praise!”​

13 Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, saying:

“To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb
be praise and honor and glory and power,
for ever and ever!”​

14 The four living creatures said, “Amen,” and the elders fell down and worshiped.​

b. Revelation 5:10 Some manuscripts they reign

As I read this, the "new song" keeps coming to mind. Humans have been singing the same old song since the Garden of Eden. We swear that we are going to obey God and then we turn into greedy little magpies, scoffing up every little shiny idol or object we see to worship. It's a tired old song about how humans always tend to believe satan and curse God when we all know it should be the other way around.

Now in the God's Board Room.... Jesus grabbed hold of that scroll that contains the plan for earth and all its inhabitants in the end times. Jesus is the first to conquer death. Now that He's completed that project... He's ready to move on to the next phase. All the elders had bowls of incense that "which are the prayers of God’s people" [verse 8].

Thinking about all these prayers. I would imagine that plenty of people have been crying out for God to intervene in what's going on. I would imagine that plenty of people pray for peace or a safe place to lay their children down to sleep or enough food to eat. I am sure there are some that are calling for God to send Jesus back now.​

This new song is going to be loud!!!!! Look at verse 13. It says that when Jesus reaches out and grasps the scroll [with the plan for earth and all its inhabitants at the end times] "every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them". Can you imagine the noise???? !!!!!

Let's just think of two... I think if every cat or dog in the world decided to "sing a new song" all at once.... all at the same time... everywhere around the earth.... people would notice... don't you think?​

This is from the easy English commentary.

Verse 7 The Lamb stepped forward. He had taken the scroll from the right hand of God.

Verse 8 Then John saw the four creatures and the 24 elders fall down. They praised the Lamb. They made music to the Lamb on their harps.

They gave to the Lamb what was in the gold bowls. Incense has a sweet smell. It gives pleasure to those who smell it. This incense meant the prayers of God’s people. Their prayers pleased God.

The worship of the angels is for God alone. Here they worship the Lamb.

Verses 9-10 The four creatures and the 24 elders sang a new song. They sang this song to the Lamb. The song was new not only in time. It was new in quality. It spoke about what the Lamb had done. He had made a new contract between God and his people.

The Lamb had earned the right to take the scroll. He had done what nobody else could do. He alone was able to break the seals.

They gave three reasons why the Lamb could take the scroll.

1. He died and he overcame death. Now, he is alive and he will always live.

2. When he died, he took away the sins of the people. By his death, he purchased people for God.

3. He made God’s people a kingdom. He made them priests to God.​

Jesus has bought many people by his blood. They come from all the countries of the world. They are from all the nations. There will be in heaven those who speak every language.

All who believe in Christ are part of his kingdom. Each one of them is a priest to God. As a kingdom, they will rule with Christ. As priests, they serve the Lord God. Because of Christ, they can come to God.

Verses 11-12 Then all the angels joined in with those who were praising the Lamb. There were millions of angels. There were so many that nobody could count them.

This vast crowd of angels live to serve God. They surrounded the throne of God. And with loud voices, they sang to praise Jesus the Lamb.

They sang that the Lamb deserves to have seven qualities. These are power, wealth, wisdom, strength, honour, glory and praise. The angels praise him because he has all these qualities. He always had them as the Son of God. But then he earned them. He died and he rose again from death. He now deserves that all people and angels should praise him.

Verse 13 Then every creature joined in the song of praise. All that God had created sang. They sang to praise God and the Lamb.

Verse 14 At the end of the song, the four creatures said ‘Amen’. The 24 elders fell down and they praised God.​

I've colored some words in green.... they're the reason for the new song.... God and Jesus are now one..... Jesus has always been there.... John told us that in the beginning of his gospel.... but now... Jesus has been through death.... and since Jesus has conquered death.... verse 8 says the elders and priests now give Jesus the prayers collected. That sweet incense of our prayers of praise... they all belong to Jesus.

A thought just occurred to me.... God has been running the show until now... and Jesus has been watching... and then Jesus conquered death.... this wasn't just a transfer of power from Father to Son..... this is the doubling of power..... Father AND Son working together!

:coffee:

Last edited: