Rhode Island considers name change due to slavery connotations

Smokey1

This crap is completely nuts now. I guess the word "plantation" is now racist. The lone black state legislator insists it is. Did all plantations involve slavery? Did Rhode Island ever have plantations with African slaves working the fields?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/rhode-island-change-official-state-name-slavery-connotations

But change is brewing in the union’s smallest state, as Rhode Island Gov. Gina Raimondo signed an executive order on Monday taking the "first steps" to change the state’s full name: "The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations."
The "plantations" part of the name has come under increased scrutiny following widespread protests after the killings of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor.

BOP

When are they going to change the name of the Demonrat Party to include "plantation" in its description?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
The only reason to change the name is to reflect what it actually is, a part to the north American continent. Drop the island part. Better yet, swap names with Hawaii. You know that would spur tourism in middle New England.

GregV814

What about planters peanuts?? Somebody had to plantem. Plantars faciatis?
Cottonelle? Somebody had to plant and harvest tp.
Crosbystillsnashandyoung dark star ?
Lynyrd Skynard, down to the whipping post?

Monello

PREMO Member
What about planters peanuts?? Somebody had to plantem. Plantars faciatis?
Cottonelle? Somebody had to plant and harvest tp.
Crosbystillsnashandyoung dark star ?
Lynyrd Skynard, down to the whipping post?
Don't leave out the Rolling Stones' Brown Sugar.

GregV814

Ya know, I spoke directly with Keith Richards about that song, he said, “meoutoov brisker un fercrissake Brian beschnoirked smakem smakem bikabble”

Roughly translated to he and Brian Jones May have purchased at the street level, some brown heroin in Manhattan.

Monello

PREMO Member
(John Millner) “rock and roll ain’t been the same since Buddy Holley died” https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069704/mediaviewer/rm2821946880
That guy was ahead of his time. I didn't know he was a big music fan.

Smokey1

“The word ‘plantations’ conjures extremely painful images for many Rhode Islanders. Whatever the history of the term is in Rhode Island, it is an unnecessary and painful reminder of our nation’s racist past,” state Sen. Harold Metts said in a statement on Monday.

I think I will name and put up signage a piece of property I own and call it "Indian Range Plantation". If it pains anyone they can go pound sand.

SamSpade

Like the folks who think the only time slaves have existed were African Americans in the United States - someone needs to learn the difference between a plantation and a farm; just how long plantations have and continue to exist (and without slave labor); how widespread across the globe plantations ARE (again, no slave labor) and how many kinds of plantations there are (chief among them are tree plantations, which are clearly NOT harvested by slave labor).

When something is - soooo racist - that its racist connection must nearly always be explained to most people, it's not really racist, is it? To my thinking, something is racist if its use is clearly INTENDED to mock or insult. It's stupid if no one knows its origin.