Richmond, VA - Day Trip Ideas...

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Get an extra tank of gas and roll all the way down to Gatlinburg or Myrtle Beach.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I attended a wedding there a few years ago. There may be areas that are enclosed and tree-covered, etc. Worth a look!

Have a great time!

Blister

The 17th St. Farmers Market is an easy walk from the Richmond Main St. Train Station, lots of good non-chain restaurants and bars. The Civil War Museum at the old Iron Works is interesting, and the Canal Walk is a nice stroll, and lots of open area along the James River. Don't know how the Rona is affecting Richmond, and a lot of what we did down there involved a good bit of walking

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
The 17th St. Farmers Market is an easy walk from the Richmond Main St. Train Station, lots of good non-chain restaurants and bars. The Civil War Museum at the old Iron Works is interesting, and the Canal Walk is a nice stroll, and lots of open area along the James River. Don't know how the Rona is affecting Richmond, and a lot of what we did down there involved a good bit of walking
I think we did a canal boat ride, of some sort, too! :yay:

Grumpy

His idea for a day trip. Last time I was there, CariBlue and I took a trip down to The Jefferson to get coffee and came right back. :lmao:
Fantastic hotel..stayed there every time I went to the NASCAR spring and fall races..So old and majestic..Next to last time there, race was rained out and scheduled for next day, went back to hotel and asked the concierge for some places to go for the evening, she had absolutely nothing and was rude as hell. Hotel limo guy overheard it and approached us afterwards saying he would take us around to some places. Frankly, we were just looking for interesting bars, he dropped us off at one and told us of others within walking distance. Gave us his cell number and said to call when we were done. Called him about 3 hours later, he picked us up and took us back to the hotel..Tried to give him a hundred, but he refused, said 20 was more to his taste and apologized for the rude concierge.

On checkout, I mentioned the issue with the concierge and the fantastic rescue from the limo guy (to David (I believe), older black gentleman who has been there forever. He said he was so sorry and he would make sure it never happened again. The next race, we got our normal room but were upgraded to a suite with an open refrigerator stocked full with beer, plus 2 bottles of wine, at no charge. I was actually kinda embarrased, all I wanted was to point out was they had a lousy concierge, was not looking for an upgrade or anything.

Really a cool place to stay, I was amazed the 1st time we stayed there by the fact that as soon as you checked in, everyone employed by the hotel knew your name and addressed you with Hi Mr soandso, can I get/do anything else for you..Even the bartenders knew your name..ie Mr soandso, should I charge your room or would you like to take care of this now?..Really a different world from what I'm used to.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Not sure if this is even an issue for you. My mom uses a cane when she walks. When we went on a cruise in January, she got a mobility chair. It's like a wheelchair except the back wheels are like shopping cart wheels. It was easier to push her around instead of her struggling to walk all over the place.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
We ended up you going to the Civil War Museum. We stopped at the Jefferson, but they were closed to the public. We rolled through the Arts District and saw all the boarded up storefronts and grafitti from the riots. That was something I never even considered. We then headed to Fredericksburg for lunch and another short walk about.

Hessian

The John Marshall house...low key, small giftshop...some interesting history. Go out to Sherwood Forest & walk the grounds: John Tyler's family still lives in it. William Harrison home also (Both are a couple miles away from the hustle & bustle of town)-Pretty drive, no crowds or protests.