Riding BareBack

HorseRiding God

Bareback Bronc Riding
Bareback requires Strength, Balance
Current Scores

Bareback riding provides spectators some of the most classic and spectacular action in a rodeo. These riders are a hearty breed, to say the least. To get an idea of the strength required in bareback riding, imagine riding a jackhammer as if it were a pogo stick, and holding on with only one hand. bareback riders claim their sport is not quite that simple.

Bareback riding is the most physically demanding event in rodeo. Immense physical stress is placed on the arm and back, and bareback riders face more long term injures, such as elbow and lower back problems, than other roughstock cowboys.

Sheer strength isn't all that's required. A bareback rider is judged on his spurring technique, the degree to which his toes remain turned away from the horse throughout the ride, and his "exposure," or willingness to lean far back and take whatever may come during a ride. The horse's bucking action also contributes half a rider's score.

Bareback riders grasp a "rigging," a handhold made of leather and rawhide that is secured to the horse with a cinch.

Bareback riding, just like in saddle bronc riding, requires the rider to "mark out" his horse - to place his feet above the horse's shoulders until the animal's front feet hit the ground on its first move out of the chute. Failure by the cowboy to keep his feet in place results in disqualification. Similarly, a rider may not touch himself, his equipment or the horse with his free hand during his 8 second ride.

mingiz

Horse Poor
HorseRiding God said:
Bareback Bronc Riding
Current Scores

Bareback riding provides spectators some of the most classic and spectacular action in a rodeo. These riders are a hearty breed, to say the least. To get an idea of the strength required in bareback riding, imagine riding a jackhammer as if it were a pogo stick, and holding on with only one hand. bareback riders claim their sport is not quite that simple.

Bareback riding is the most physically demanding event in rodeo. Immense physical stress is placed on the arm and back, and bareback riders face more long term injures, such as elbow and lower back problems, than other roughstock cowboys.

Sheer strength isn't all that's required. A bareback rider is judged on his spurring technique, the degree to which his toes remain turned away from the horse throughout the ride, and his "exposure," or willingness to lean far back and take whatever may come during a ride. The horse's bucking action also contributes half a rider's score.

Bareback riders grasp a "rigging," a handhold made of leather and rawhide that is secured to the horse with a cinch.

Bareback riding, just like in saddle bronc riding, requires the rider to "mark out" his horse - to place his feet above the horse's shoulders until the animal's front feet hit the ground on its first move out of the chute. Failure by the cowboy to keep his feet in place results in disqualification. Similarly, a rider may not touch himself, his equipment or the horse with his free hand during his 8 second ride.

And your point is:
:shrug:

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
HorseRiding God said:
Bareback Bronc Riding
Current Scores

Ohhh, nebber mind,, not going there today. :eyebrow: :lmao:

Magnum

Should be Huntin
I tried once, didn't make it too far. :lmao: It was snowing and the dang horse was tall so I couldn't get on. Got a milk crate as a step, went to jump on, slipped wound up under the horse as he starts stomping around :lmao: Finally I made it on rode for a bit but the people I was riding with decided I better get a saddle.

Kevlar

I can't believe people would advocate bareback. Think of all the STDs out there, as well as unplanned pregnancy. How irresponsible can you get.

Tonia

When I first started riding I was not allowed to ride with a saddle or bridle.
My riding instructor told me that I had to master balance and communication with my horse before I could cheat and go the easy route. (she said this, not me) Before I knew it, I was galloping down the beach on my horse with nothing but a halter and lead rope.
Of course, I'm not as brave these days, but I still enjoy riding bareback when given the opportunity.

Beelzebaby666

Has confinement issues..
I tried riding hogs down in Ridge a few times. THat was some kinda fun. You gotta sneak up on em and rub em a bit before hopping on and holding tight!!!

You gotta have great muscle control and a good spread to stay on one of those things......

:lmao:

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Beelzebaby666 said:
I tried riding hogs down in Ridge a few times. THat was some kinda fun. You gotta sneak up on em and rub em a bit before hopping on and holding tight!!!

You gotta have great muscle control and a good spread to stay on one of those things......

:lmao: :whistle: I've done that too :lmao:

mingiz

Horse Poor
Beelzebaby666 said:

:lmao: That's so funny. As kids we use to go to Fenwicks farm and sled down his great hill and he had hogs. It was fun trying to dodge them. We raised them also and I tried to catch them and hold on..Those were the good ole days....

S

saddlesore

mingiz said:
:lmao: That's so funny. As kids we use to go to Fenwicks farm and sled down his great hill and he had hogs. It was fun trying to dodge them. We raised them also and I tried to catch them and hold on..Those were the good ole days....

I always heard that hogs could be mean and aggressive. Guess that shows how much I know about them, eh?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Last time i rode bareback i jumped on and POP went the ACL in mid flight :shocking: I rode though, cause i was afraid to get off. i knew i wouldn't be able to walk when i finally did slide off and i couldn't.

Cowgirl

saddlesore said:
I always heard that hogs could be mean and aggressive. Guess that shows how much I know about them, eh?

No, you're right. They can be mean and aggressive. But they can also be nice and sweet.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
I had a horse when I was in my teens. Never owned a saddle. We always rode bareback. I had very strong legs.

And before the perverts ask, the answer is NO. :lmao: