riding in the snow.

Dukesdad

Are either of the Darwin candidates I saw riding during the snow last Friday on here? One was a BMW (other than itsbob) and a blue Suzuki? The Suzuki was on the shoulder of St. Andrews with a Deputy behind him. The BMW was pulling on to rt 5 jst south of the tractor supply...
What were you thinking?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Are either of the Darwin candidates I saw riding during the snow last Friday on here? One was a BMW (other than itsbob) and a blue Suzuki? The Suzuki was on the shoulder of St. Andrews with a Deputy behind him. The BMW was pulling on to rt 5 jst south of the tractor supply...
What were you thinking?

I don't know. But I know my husband's BMW works well in all weather conditions, off-road and on. Watch Long Way Round and Long Way Down.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Watch Long Way Round and Long Way Down.

Love those!! And have met few people who even know about those epic adventures. Ewan McGregor...gotta love the guy.:buddies:

Being more a 4-wheels-touching-the-ground sort, my goal has always been to run one of the epic central or south American adventure rides.

My SO was an adventure rider for years..Pacific Northwest and Canadian provinces mostly. On a GS650, appropriately equipped. I got to ride it a couple times...but never on one of those adventure rides.

Nope..a little snow is certainly the order of the day on those kinds of trips.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My 16-yo..in the snow we got the other day. A different kind of drifting...

Attachments

• drifting.jpg
    drifting.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 116

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...my husband's BMW works well in all weather conditions...

No, it doesn't. He just happens to be a very good rider.

There is nothing inherently wrong with riding on the street in the snow. However, it is MUCH more difficult and takes far greater skill than the average rider has. Or even above average. Lots of riders don't even wanna go in the rain which is an absolute first step before moving on to snow.

All your control inputs, clutch, throttle, front brake, rear brake, your stearing inputs as well as your body balance and position must be very smooth and very relaxed. And that is on top of experience, a thorough understanding of how a bike works and why in addition to patience and mental stamina.

That's a top shelf skill, there.

Dukesdad

Early 80s I rode with my feet down like skis. I didn't have a car at that time but had enough sense to catch a ride wth a friend when I had to.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Not me. My battery died last week, but just put the new one in tonight. Be back on the road tomorrow.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So if I rode by you on my '47 flathead in 6" deep snow..you would be impressed, right?

Fat chance..since I won't even ride it in a light rain..

Hell, yeah! I didn't know you could get the thing kicked over in temps like this! Pony motor???

:evil:

:lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
My 16-yo..in the snow we got the other day. A different kind of drifting...

Dirt bike in the snow is a whole different category of fun! The 'hard' part is blasting berms that were left from the last snow. That was the last time I was in full and free flight. It just doesn't drift 'over' blocks of ice like it does deep powder.

:stupid:

:buddies:

I tried riding my bicycle on a packed snowy road when I was 10 or so. I never felt it necessary to try it again on two wheels. :lol:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
What were you thinking?

I was driving in the snow last week and I have a BMW (with AWD). It handles very well in snow. So suck it!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I was driving in the snow last week and I have a BMW (with AWD). It handles very well in snow. So suck it!

You don't have a REAL BMW.. You have a soccer mom wanna be BMW.. You know, the one with less performance... The one a woman can handle..

:whistle:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I don't know. But I know my husband's BMW works well in all weather conditions, off-road and on. Watch Long Way Round and Long Way Down.

I disagree...

There are some (a lot) of weather conditions I won't ride in, and I've ridden in falling snow and sleet..

Many times the main roads will be in great shape, but our road leading to 235 is impassable on a bike.

ABS, Traction Control.. rider capabilities all go out the window when you hit that ice patch in a corner, and if there is a chance that 1% of the road may have ice on it I tend to leave the bike at home.

I have ridden to work in the morning only to end up riding home in falling snow, but at that point the roads have either been treated and the snow is melting, or the snow isn't falling fast enough to accumulate on the pavement.

Last edited:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I disagree...

There are some (a lot) of weather conditions I won't ride in, and I've ridden in falling snow and sleet..

Many times the main roads will be in great shape, but our road leading to 235 is impassable on a bike.

ABS, Traction Control.. rider capabilities all go out the window when you hit that ice patch in a corner, and if there is a chance that 1% of the road may have ice on it I tend to leave the bike at home.

I have ridden to work in the morning only to end up riding home in falling snow, but at that point the roads have either been treated and the snow is melting, or the snow isn't falling fast enough to accumulate on the pavement.

If Ewan can ride his BMW in Siberia, then I'm going to disagree with you. :neener:

The bike can do it. I don't know about the rider. :kiss: