Riding Ring builder?

Sparks

Can anyone recommend a ring builder in the area? If they do barns, that would be great too.

Thanks.
Kris

W

WildHorses

Sparks said:
Can anyone recommend a ring builder in the area? If they do barns, that would be great too.

Thanks.
Kris

Assuming you mean someone to do the fencing/railing on an arena/ring. :howdy: We used Henry Stauffer (Ilam and Joe's brother) to build an outdoor arena for us using Centaur fencing we ordered through the Hen Yard. He did a great job. We had Reuben Hertzler build the kick wall in our indoor arena and he also did a great job (perfect angling, etc.). Reuben was the builder on the indoor arena/barn through R&D Cross and might be a tad busy. Henry does mainly fences, I believe.:flowers:

Sparks

Sorry, I actually meant grading, base, drainage, footing, etc. We'll actually be doing all sorts of building (fencing - residing an older barn - building stalls) very soon I hope, but, I'm more concerned with the proper footing right now.

I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a ring and in two years have pot-holes and rocks everywhere. I've seen it happen to other people's rings.
I really want to try and do all this right the first time. ;)

For what it's worth - I think my husband spoke to "Rudy" for a quote on the barn.

fredsaid2

Try the Equiery, several grading advertisers there. A great resource is Under Foot by the USDF . Breaks down the steps for building outdoor and indoor rings with different options. Lucky you, a barn and a ring! :smile:

Sparks

Thanks, I think I actually have that book. Now if I could only find it.

Yeah, I'm excited but the cost of all this is scaring the crap out of me...........

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
fencing

WildHorses said:
Assuming you mean someone to do the fencing/railing on an arena/ring. :howdy: We used Henry Stauffer (Ilam and Joe's brother) to build an outdoor arena for us using Centaur fencing we ordered through the Hen Yard. He did a great job. We had Reuben Hertzler build the kick wall in our indoor arena and he also did a great job (perfect angling, etc.). Reuben was the builder on the indoor arena/barn through R&D Cross and might be a tad busy. Henry does mainly fences, I believe.:flowers:

I need to get new fencing and need someone to put it up. How do I get in touch with Henry? Do you like the centaur fencing and am not too familiar with Hen Yard. Do they have a number and good pricing for fence?

W

WildHorses

SouthernMdRocks said:
I need to get new fencing and need someone to put it up. How do I get in touch with Henry? Do you like the centaur fencing and am not too familiar with Hen Yard. Do they have a number and good pricing for fence?

I like the Centaur fencing for the arena fence but don't think I would do it for my pasture fencing. Right now I have oak board fencing but in my next life I'm going to go with no climb fencing with boards at the top -- love it when I see it. :yahoo: The Hen Yard is actually Stauffer Feed Mill in Loveville behind Elam's tack store if you know the area. Henry lives about .25 miles down from the feed mill. You can't get hold of them via telephone, only in person, they are Mennonites but they can call you to arrange appointments, etc. :high5:
I thought the pricing on the Centaur was good but, then again, there are those who know me who say I tend to be just a tad frivolous. If you speak with Joe at the Feed Mill I'm sure he can work with you on the fencing and Henry is great at knowing exactly how to turn your ideas into reality. Good luck. :flowers:

Sparks

WildHorses said:
I like the Centaur fencing for the arena fence but don't think I would do it for my pasture fencing.

I'm curious why you don't like centaur for pasture fencing?

SouthernMdRocks

Thanks!

WildHorses said:
I like the Centaur fencing for the arena fence but don't think I would do it for my pasture fencing. Right now I have oak board fencing but in my next life I'm going to go with no climb fencing with boards at the top -- love it when I see it. :yahoo: The Hen Yard is actually Stauffer Feed Mill in Loveville behind Elam's tack store if you know the area. Henry lives about .25 miles down from the feed mill. You can't get hold of them via telephone, only in person, they are Mennonites but they can call you to arrange appointments, etc. :high5:
I thought the pricing on the Centaur was good but, then again, there are those who know me who say I tend to be just a tad frivolous. If you speak with Joe at the Feed Mill I'm sure he can work with you on the fencing and Henry is great at knowing exactly how to turn your ideas into reality. Good luck. :flowers:

:yeahthat:
So that's the hen yard.. Ok, I am familiar with the mill somewhat. I have oak board now but it is in sad shape. Still trying to decide what the best would be to use.

SouthernMdRocks

arena

Sparks said:
Sorry, I actually meant grading, base, drainage, footing, etc. We'll actually be doing all sorts of building (fencing - residing an older barn - building stalls) very soon I hope, but, I'm more concerned with the proper footing right now.

I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a ring and in two years have pot-holes and rocks everywhere. I've seen it happen to other people's rings.
I really want to try and do all this right the first time. ;)

For what it's worth - I think my husband spoke to "Rudy" for a quote on the barn.

Did you ever find someone for the arena grading and stuff?? I'm looking for that as well.

Sparks

SouthernMdRocks said:
Did you ever find someone for the arena grading and stuff?? I'm looking for that as well.

It's looking more and more like it's going to be me, the USDF book and an excavator.

Seriously though, I do have a friend who does great excavation work. I'd be happy to give you his name and number privately.

SouthernMdRocks

Name and number please.

Sparks said:
It's looking more and more like it's going to be me, the USDF book and an excavator.

Seriously though, I do have a friend who does great excavation work. I'd be happy to give you his name and number privately.

That would be great.

DQ2B

Sparks said:

Thanks.
Kris

You can try Equestrian Services LLC in Anapolis 410-990-0202 but be prepared. The estimate will be very high.

My husband and I did mine ourselves (still working on it) and I've already spent over $12,000 just in materials and equipment rentals.

W

WildHorses

DQ2B said:
You can try Equestrian Services LLC in Anapolis 410-990-0202 but be prepared. The estimate will be very high.

My husband and I did mine ourselves (still working on it) and I've already spent over $12,000 just in materials and equipment rentals.

:yeahthat: We were considering a dressage arena at the front of our property a few years ago (120 x 60) and the quote was $25,000. Needless to say, we don't have a dressage arena at the front of our property yet. :killingme

W

WildHorses

Sparks said:
I'm curious why you don't like centaur for pasture fencing?

When we were putting the fence up three years ago Centaur wasn't as popular as it has become and we couldn't get together with the sales representative as quickly as I preferred. Then I decided to have the oak fencing put up and the people who did it did a wonderful job following all the curbs of our land, etc. :yay: Kind of glad I did since later I know of a young stallion who try to jump electric Centaur and landed directly on the electric strand and stayed there all night with the electric clicking until someone found him in the morning. :yikes: The Centaur, obviously, is very strong but I'm not sure the stallion was all that happy about its strength all those long days he had to have ice packs applied to his most valuable possessions and the owner wasn't very happy since they had to cut the Centaur to release the stallion. :jameo:

Sparks

God, that's awful. Poor guy.

We purchased essentially the same fence but from Ramm Fence (5 1/4" Flex-Fence). We haven't acutally opened the rolls yet. We bought it long before we actually would need it because we got a good deal and we had the money to do so then. They're collected dust in our barn now :) We visited a few farms that used it before we bought ours and were impressed with it.