Ring size

fredsaid2

100 x 200 is a nice reasonable size. I heard a lot of people say they would decrease the length before the width.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
persimmoncf said:
Thank you girls...now to make it multi-disipline, what size for running barrels is needed?
Well now you need two seperate rings with different footing. :lmao:

fredsaid2

Footing for barrel racing, I don't know. For dressage and jumpers I purchased the pamphlet "Under Foot" from the USDF. It's a great resource, gives specifics on the steps necessary to build and maintain a ring.

Sparks

Good book FS!

100x200 seems to be a "standard" size but I've always heard people say to build it as big as you can afford. Meaning if you skimp a little here or there to save a few dollars, you'll regret it later.

What do you plan to line or edge the ring with? I was wondering if there was somewhere in the area to get rail road ties relatively cheap?

Loper

Animal Poor!
Sparks said:
Good book FS!

100x200 seems to be a "standard" size but I've always heard people say to build it as big as you can afford. Meaning if you skimp a little here or there to save a few dollars, you'll regret it later.

What do you plan to line or edge the ring with? I was wondering if there was somewhere in the area to get rail road ties relatively cheap?

your post brought up a question... does your ring have to be fenced in? I would think it should be... :shrug:

Sparks

I think most people prefer it to be fenced in. It does provide a physical and mental barrier for the horse/rider when training.

I personally will probably not fence in mine. The ring is located within a larger perimeter fence so at least if anyone falls off (like me :shocking:) the horse cannot get loose to the road.

If a pile of money falls into my lap, I'll fence it it :lmao:

I will however put in the rail road ties or maybe use 6x6's as a barrier to keep the sand in.

W

WhoCares

Sparks said:
I think most people prefer it to be fenced in. It does provide a physical and mental barrier for the horse/rider when training.

I personally will probably not fence in mine. The ring is located within a larger perimeter fence so at least if anyone falls off (like me :shocking:) the horse cannot get loose to the road.

If a pile of money falls into my lap, I'll fence it it :lmao:

I will however put in the rail road ties or maybe use 6x6's as a barrier to keep the sand in.

I think that if you own a boarding facility for insurance purposes it does need to be fenced in. Now for personal use I don't think it matters. My riding ring growing up was not fenced in.