RIP Clarence Clemons

Rael

Supper's Ready

That. :yay:

I don't think there has been a more celebrated and appreciated sidekick musician than in Clarence "Big Man" Clemons. Bruce Springsteen held him high on the pedestal through his whole career, wrote about him in his music (10th Ave Freeze Out), raved about him in concert, and in interviews. How many sidekicks' names are known in the music industry by fans? When someone said Clarence, or Big Man, everyone knew exactly who they were talking about.

I'm almost daring enough to say Clarence Clemons was applauded and liked as much as Bruce himself...I did say almost. How many times I've been to a Springsteen concert when every time the Big Man did his piece he was applauded louder than any other crowd reaction to anything else.

The news of his passing reminded me instantly of musical moments that I will cherish forever. Jungleland was my absolute favorite Big Man solo, with his cryin' saxophone, I just wow every time I hear it. I get a tear in my eyes almost every time I hear this solo, not sure why. It's just how his music reaches out and grabs you. But there is so much more with him I could go on and on and on.

It is most definitely time to delve into a Springsteen/Clemons appreciation marathon.

RIP, Big Man.

Last edited:

Rael

Supper's Ready
Great example of Boss' typical introduction of the Big Man... band member intros start around 4:40 or so...and a great Boss song to boot...:yay:

mitzi

That. :yay:

I don't think there has been a more celebrated and appreciated sidekick musician than in Clarence "Big Man" Clemons. Bruce Springsteen held him high on the pedestal through his whole career, wrote about him in his music (10th Ave Freeze Out), raved about him in concert, and in interviews. How many sidekicks' names are known in the music industry by fans? When someone said Clarence, or Big Man, everyone knew exactly who they were talking about.

I'm almost daring enough to say Clarence Clemons was applauded and liked as much as Bruce himself...I did say almost. How many times I've been to a Springsteen concert when every time the Big Man did his piece he was applauded louder than any other crowd reaction to anything else.

The news of his passing reminded me instantly of musical moments that I will cherish forever. Jungleland was my absolute favorite Big Man solo, with his cryin' saxophone, I just wow every time I hear it. I get a tear in my eyes almost every time I hear this solo, not sure why. It's just how his music reaches out and grabs you. But there is so much more with him I could go on and on and on.

It is most definitely time to delve into a Springsteen/Clemons appreciation marathon.

RIP, Big Man.

Well said. It's hard to describe what the concerts were like, unless you've been to one. If you haven't seen them, there are several on You Tube at the Capital Centre from 78 and 80.

Rael

Supper's Ready
Well said. It's hard to describe what the concerts were like, unless you've been to one. If you haven't seen them, there are several on You Tube at the Capital Centre from 78 and 80.

That's true, Boss and the East Street band always had a huge setlist. The first time I saw them was on the Darkness tour, and I want to say it was at least three hours or more long (which was awesome!). And the crowds were into it the whole time. Signature Springsteen show. :yay: :yay:

mitzi

That's true, Boss and the East Street band always had a huge setlist. The first time I saw them was on the Darkness tour, and I want to say it was at least three hours or more long (which was awesome!). And the crowds were into it the whole time. Signature Springsteen show. :yay: :yay:

Yep, at 3 1/2 hours long with a little break at around 2 hours. Like a Superbowl of concerts. I just read the funeral was today.

Giantone

I saw Bruce twice once at the cap Center and the other in 09 at the what was the Brendan Burn arena at the Meadowlands....it was the night they annouced they were tearing down Giants stadium.
Thing is I grew up at the New Jersey shore and although I wasn't one of Bruce's followers in the 70's my brother was.He tells a story of a night at the Stoney Pony in Asbury Park, Southside Johnny and the Jukes were playing,well at 10 pm they call last call and said if you left after 11 you could not come back in,so he an his buddy stayed around...20 mins later Bruce gets on stage and starts to play with the band,after an hour they took a breakthen 25 mins later Bruce ,Southside ,the Jukes ...and Loggins and Meshina(who were across the street at Convetion Hall) get up and play to 3am!