RISKY BEHAVIOR FOR COVID-19

3CATSAILOR

A friend recently pointed out that more than half of the people in public are not wearing their masks properly. He said it places themselves at risk as well as their family and friends if they get the virus. There has been a substantial increase in people who either wear it to cover only the mouth or up to the tip of the nose. It is pretty obvious it won't help he pointed out. This is because you breathe through your nose as well. And having the mask on the tip of the nose doesn't help either. This is because the virus can get around the sides of the mask when worn at the tip of the nose. Wearing it at the tip of the nose doesn't provide a good seal around both the nose and mouth. Then you see others that have the mask on, but take it off for a while while talking since the mask muffles the voice. Therefore, if the virus is around, you could potentially get it then. I'm not sure why people risk themselves and others that way when the virus is so dangerous, highly contagious and potentially fatal. He used to work at NIH and knows Dr. Fauci. Dr. Fauci is on the Presidential Task Force. This does make sense if you think about it. This may be why cases and deaths of the virus continue to rise.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
A friend recently pointed out that more than half of the people in public are not wearing their masks properly. He said it places themselves at risk as well as their family and friends if they get the virus.

A Mask Will NOT Protect the person wearing the mask from getting infected

hitchicken

A shield protects and prevents.

A shield can stop the blast of a sneeze or cough of the wearer.
A shield can stop the blast from a nearby sneezer or cougher.
A shield prevents the user from touching his/her face.
A shield can be temporarily cleaned with a sanitizing wipe in an emergency.
A shield can be thoroughly cleaned with soap and water.
A shield can be re-used forever.
A shield makes breathing much easier.
A shield makes conversation understandable.
A shield allows you to see the wearer’s face (can’t burn, loot, topple and rob).
A shield looks really dorky.
A shield softens the sucker-punch from an angry non-mask wearing elites.

It’s not perfect. And, of course, it leaks a bit. But I believe it’s better than a mask that only prevents, not protects. Worn in combination with a mask, hey… you’re ready for Spring break at a Florida beach.

Goldenhawk

Really? Hm. Tell that to the doctors and nurses who use them properly to take care of hundreds of thousands of COVID-infected patients and yet don't get infected themselves. Like my wife. I'm pretty sure they DO, in fact, work.

3CATSAILOR

With most home made masks, it is true since they are usually loose fitting. If wearing tight creating a seal around the nose and mouth at the same time, it reduces the risk, "but does not eliminate it". N95 respirators are the best followed by surgical masks. N95 is around 95 % effective if worn properly. Surgical masks are around 60%. So, I agree with you. Schools have the potential to be a substantial problem if they reopen. Under no condition would I send my child back to school for the exact reason you stated.
A cloth mask will not give you a good seal no matter how you wear it.

Unless it is the N95 and is properly fitted with a seal around the nose and mouth, you are 100% correct. Even that is around 95%. Nothing is 100%. The cloth masks provided by some employers and even the Federal Government for their employees is ridiculous. The are loose and if anything gives a false sense of security.

Jurgo

I agree with GURPS et al. This is all entirely overblown. Everyone needs to deal with the facts that 1) there is nothing to panic about here. Covid is about as bad as a mild flu; the overcrowding of hospitals in places like NY, Italy, Florida, California, Arizona, and Texas have more to do with deeply entrenched liberal policies and local, undesirable demographics than anything else. 2) those urging and judging us for not buying into leftist-agenda-supporting lies need to calm down and wake up. Me not wearing a mask will not affect you. Grow a pair. 3) various actors in different sectors of the government are looking to use this hyped crisis as a means of increasing their power and decreasing our rights.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I agree with GURPS et al. This is all entirely overblown. Everyone needs to deal with the facts that 1) there is nothing to panic about here. Covid is about as bad as a mild flu; the overcrowding of hospitals in places like NY, Italy, Florida, California, Arizona, and Texas have more to do with deeply entrenched liberal policies and local, undesirable demographics than anything else. 2) those urging and judging us for not buying into leftist-agenda-supporting lies need to calm down and wake up. Me not wearing a mask will not affect you. Grow a pair. 3) various actors in different sectors of the government are looking to use this hyped crisis as a means of increasing their power and decreasing our rights.

Wait....am I still an idiot?

Jurgo

Wait....am I still an idiot?
I tried to clarify that the word “not” was missing from my original post. I literally don’t know how to be any clearer. Besides that’s far less important a point to clarify than the main one here: COVID is massively overblown.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I tried to clarify that the word “not” was missing from my original post. I literally don’t know how to be any clearer. Besides that’s far less important a point to clarify than the main one here: COVID is massively overblown.

Mmmm....no....I think what's most important is my idiocy or lack thereof.....

Jurgo

Well I only know you from your history of posts here, but I think I’ll stand by my original (intended) claim: vraiblonde is NOT an idiot. Does that help?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Really? Hm. Tell that to the doctors and nurses who use them properly to take care of hundreds of thousands of COVID-infected patients and yet don't get infected themselves. Like my wife. I'm pretty sure they DO, in fact, work.
Doctors and nurses use them to prevent bacteria either from, or to a patient. Like they always have for decades. Masks cannot stop a virus.